Charging

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My bulldog is turning 3 this Nov. She has started to charge other dogs during our walks. She is leashed but she always charges at dogs, and if she gets to them, she head butts them. Do I need to socialize her more?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My bulldog is turning 3 this Nov. She has started to charge other dogs during our walks. She is leashed but she always charges at dogs, and if she gets to them, she head butts them. Do I need to socialize her more?

Yes definitely socialize her more, and always have calm energy when you walk her as she picks up any negative energy and even when she knows your tired, they then try to react to protect you.

Bring her favourite treats(not ones she gets all the time, so it’s actually a special training treat) and teach her a ‘look’ or ‘watch me’ command and give a treat, try teaching her that at home, then carry the treats and say ‘look’ or the word you use, then reward and praise so it gets her mind off the other dog BEFORE you see the dog(if you can).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Socializing can help, but at age 3 you may need more one/one training to redirect and control before she reacts. @oscarmayer .. any additional insight

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.