Changed food from Fromm Heartland Gold puppy to Beef Frittata and now having issues

toddboy23

Oct 12, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tug
Hi, All.

First post here. My boy Tug just turned 1 on August 31st. He had been on Fromm Heartland Gold puppy in the pink bag up until this point and did fine on it. I have just recently switched him to the adult Beef Frittata and he is having some problems. His whole face and chin are red and his nose rope is very red and has yellowish gunk in it. Before, he sometimes would get a small amount of black gunk in his nose rope but regular cleanings took care of it.

This new food I believe is causing the redness, acne, and discomfort for my boy. I looked at the ingredients and both foods have beef. So, I don't think that is the issue. The beef frittata does have sweet potatoes and I think that may be the issue. Any one have any experience with this? I am tempted to try the lamb and lentil as it has no potatoes....Another option is to go to the Heartland Gold adult formula as it has the exact ingredients that his puppy food has.

Thanks for the help in advance...I want him to feel better.

Tug
Tug.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16444]toddboy23[/MENTION] I don't think its sweet potatoes. Nyala has it all the time. Usually its the protein. I would go with one protein at a time. Like that you will know what to avoid for your boy. Nyala is on home cooking for the pass 9 months. She's doing great. Once in a while she eats kibbles onky when she gets babysat. Ive choosen Acana Lamb. Pink bag. Only has one protein which is lamb, apples, lentil, liver, tripe (organs). I trust Acana. Has great results and I like it being one protein as it's easier to control allergies since its one meat. Have a look...... btw love the colour of your boy. You have a great looking baby there!!!

https://acana.com/our-foods/singles/

ACANA Grass-Fed Lamb features a single animal protein in WholePrey™*ratios that include meat, organs and cartilage to supply nutrients naturally and completely.Grass-fed lamb*– meat, liver, heart, kidney and cartilage, raw from New Zealand.In nature there are no synthetic supplements, and dogs and wolves derive their nutritional needs by consuming prey animals; muscle meat provides protein; liver, kidney and tripe supply vitamins and minerals; bones and cartilage deliver calcium and phosphorus.

ONLY 4 SUPPLEMENTS | NATURAL NUTRIENTS

ACANA Grass-Fed Lamb’s rich meat and WholePrey™*inclusions supply nutrients naturally. By providing a concentrated, natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive, you eliminate the need for long lists of synthetic additives which is why Vitamin D3, E, Zinc and Copper are our only added supplements.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would try another flavor, and yes go for one without the sweet potato. My Tyson also reacted to sweet potato and once I removed it he cleared up in a matter of days. Since you can switch freely between Fromms with no transition - I say try it out for a few weeks, you generally will see change within the first to second week.

BTW, Tug is a gorgeous boy!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
[MENTION=16444]toddboy23[/MENTION] I don't think its sweet potatoes. Nyala has it all the time. Usually its the protein. I would go with one protein at a time. Like that you will know what to avoid for your boy. Nyala is on home cooking for the pass 9 months. She's doing great. Once in a while she eats kibbles onky when she gets babysat. Ive choosen Acana Lamb. Pink bag. Only has one protein which is lamb, apples, lentil, liver, tripe (organs). I trust Acana. Has great results and I like it being one protein as it's easier to control allergies since its one meat. Have a look...... btw love the colour of your boy. You have a great looking baby there!!!

https://acana.com/our-foods/singles/

ACANA Grass-Fed Lamb features a single animal protein in WholePrey™*ratios that include meat, organs and cartilage to supply nutrients naturally and completely.Grass-fed lamb*– meat, liver, heart, kidney and cartilage, raw from New Zealand.In nature there are no synthetic supplements, and dogs and wolves derive their nutritional needs by consuming prey animals; muscle meat provides protein; liver, kidney and tripe supply vitamins and minerals; bones and cartilage deliver calcium and phosphorus.

ONLY 4 SUPPLEMENTS | NATURAL NUTRIENTS

ACANA Grass-Fed Lamb’s rich meat and WholePrey™*inclusions supply nutrients naturally. By providing a concentrated, natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive, you eliminate the need for long lists of synthetic additives which is why Vitamin D3, E, Zinc and Copper are our only added supplements.

Helene, Acana is a very good food but want to remind you that we cannot get the Canadian Acana here in the US anymore and they have changed their ingredients for the US market completely. Monty had a huge yeast outbreak after the change so he is no longer on Acana. Of course, I cannot say 100% that Acana was the reason for it but the timing was suspect and I am not taking any chances. He was a mess.

I don't feed Monty Fromm's (so far!) so I have no experience with it but if the Heartland Adult is the same ingredients as the puppy and he did well on that, why not just put him on the Adult? I changed Monty's food to put him on a 'better' food not long after we got him and I should have left it alone!!! It wasn't a bad food (4 star), I just thought I could do better. HaHaHa!!!! That was my first mistake! He has been on Zignature for 6 weeks now after the Acana fiasco and so far, so good. Fingers crossed! I guess bottom line, my advice is, 'If it ain't broke, (and it's a good food) don't fix it'!

Edited to add: The reason I put him on Zignature is the following:
They use no animal by-products, no chicken, no chicken fat, and no chicken eggs in their foods. Nor do they use corn, wheat, soy, or other grains. Their foods are also potato and gluten-free. They focus on a low-glycemic diet for dogs. The first ingredients in their foods are meat or fish; and the second ingredients are meat or fish meals. All of their products are manufactured in the United States.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My son's 2pitbulls has issues to and he finally found one that works its Horizon Legacy. They are doing great. Skin back to normal. Very well rated.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, All.

First post here. My boy Tug just turned 1 on August 31st. He had been on Fromm Heartland Gold puppy in the pink bag up until this point and did fine on it. I have just recently switched him to the adult Beef Frittata and he is having some problems. His whole face and chin are red and his nose rope is very red and has yellowish gunk in it. Before, he sometimes would get a small amount of black gunk in his nose rope but regular cleanings took care of it.

This new food I believe is causing the redness, acne, and discomfort for my boy. I looked at the ingredients and both foods have beef. So, I don't think that is the issue. The beef frittata does have sweet potatoes and I think that may be the issue. Any one have any experience with this? I am tempted to try the lamb and lentil as it has no potatoes....Another option is to go to the Heartland Gold adult formula as it has the exact ingredients that his puppy food has.

Thanks for the help in advance...I want him to feel better.

Tug
View attachment 101646

:welcome3: to EBN! Tug is a good looking boy. Try the Pork and peas... I used the Heartland gold too and went to Beef... what a mess -- went to Pork and peas and he is doing great

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
First off your boy is a handsome bully. We had one that didn't do well on the beef, so we went to Pork and Peas, and they did fine. Currently we are on the Hasen Duckenpfeffer, and they are doing well on it. FROMM will take the other food back and give you another bag of your choice free.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.