Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
EAST LAMPETER TOWNSHIP,Pa. —
Veterinarians are calling canine influenza a problem so serious, it is close to a pandemic.
The canine flu first appeared in dogs three years ago and appears to be making a comeback in the Susquehanna Valley.
Vets at the VCA Smoketown Animal Hospital said they are seeing too many good dogs falling victim to the flu.
SarahUrban is a doctor used to seeing patients with H3N8, better known as dog flu,only once in a while.
"I believe it's a problem now especially in this area," Urban said."Typically we were seeing sporadic cases throughout the U.S. But now, forsome reason, we're seeing it here in this area."
In recent weeks, several boarding centers have had to be closed because of canine influenza outbreaks, and they've had to be quarantined. Veterinarians have said it becomes a big and potentially deadly problem, especially this time of year.
" I think with the summertime, people aren't inside, they're out playing with their dogs in the dog park," Urban said.
The virus is highly contagious among dogs, she added.
"You're intermingling with dogs you have no vaccine status of. So I think that's why we're seeing an increase," Urban said.
Officials said 6 percent of dogs die from the virus.

Urban said early detection is key to curbing its danger and spread.
"I think it's really important to get your dogs vaccinated. It's better to be ontop of it than having to deal with it when they become sick," Urban said.
In the past, many cases were untreated and misdiagnosed as kennel cough.
Now,veterinarians are learning new tricks by pushing a two-shot vaccination.
Symptoms of canine influenza are similar to the human flu and include cough, runny noseand fever.
Most veterinarians test for the virus with a simple nasal swab.

Last edited:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Ewww! I'm in the susquehanna valley.Belly is at the vet twice a week for the next month getting laser treatments for her ACL surgery. They've never said a word about it :cursing: Thanks for the info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cheli goes for his annual on Wednesday... I'll be asking about it, even thought we vaccinate for it, I want to know what he has to say about the stats and increased cases.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I was just at the vet on the 17th to get Franklin's last shots and grace's shots and they never said anything about it great one more thing I have to worry about with them it's been something different every week with franklin but I'd rather worry than have it happen so thank you for letting us know!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, jeez....

Thanks for the info Sherry, I had no idea.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thank you, Sherry for that info. It makes me want to keep my babies completely away from any other dogs EVER! I could happily be a hermit in my house with them, right? :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.