anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
She is old. But still spunky. Still digs holes in the garden. Still bullies her 10 year old brother. She turned 13 last week. And it's starting to show.

Yesterday, she stumbled on her hind legs walking on the uneven pavers. This worried me greatly. We've tried to maintain her and her brother on the skinny side, not to the point of ribs protruding while standing, but skinny that the rib is right beneath the skin. This seems to be the best for both of them.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Prey-model Raw diet. There's a close-up picture below of Angus' teeth. It is sparkly clean (can't do anything with them crooked gobblers hah!). It is very easy to maintain their weight - if they get too fat, lower the amount of food, if they get too skinny, add more food. Results of food change can be seen in just a few days. Hair - well, I can't tell if its shiny or not, these dogs have this strange fascination with dirt and I figured a daily wash will hurt them more than the dirt will, so they're dirty dogs... but their hair is soft, at least that I can tell. I use a home-made dooley for both dogs' poop out of a 13-gallon trash bin buried in the ground. I don't add the enzyme at all. Just pop the poop in there and let it decompose on its own. The native worms like going in there too and help out. After almost 10 years of use, the level of composted poop has not reached halfway up the bin. For two dogs! No major vet visits - just the usual checkups.

So yeah, their situation is not ideal but they just told me while I was trying to pose them for pictures - Woof, woof! Which I translated to - We're happy dogs! Hah hah.

Bullie turned 13 years old last week:

bullie_13.jpg bullie_13_2.jpg bullie_13_3.jpg

Angus turned 10 years old last month:

angus_10_2.jpg angus_10.jpg

Attachments

• angus_10.jpg
    angus_10.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 483
OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
P.S. One of these days I'm gonna learn how to post proper pictures on here. I guess it's not gonna be today.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@annatess
What an inspiring text and lovely photos! Castor turned seven in April and we have worried about signs of pain and eye problems. I will show these pics to hon as soon as he wakes up from his afternoon nap!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
if posting pics from a phone simply crop the image slightly and that will set the metadata required to have the image displayed correctly. Good looking Sr crew you have...Congrats on a job well done!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I agree, you have a good looking crew and it is inspiring to hear more and more posts about bullies living past the 10 year mark. That is one thing that hurts me about pets... why can’t they live as long as we do!!??

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What beautiful bullies you have! Whatever you have done, you obviously did it well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pictures are fine.... and your babies re beautiful!!

Happy belated birthday Bullie[emoji322][emoji512][emoji324][emoji8]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@annatess
What an inspiring text and lovely photos! Castor turned seven in April and we have worried about signs of pain and eye problems. I will show these pics to hon as soon as he wakes up from his afternoon nap!

Castor was amazed by the 13-year-old lady and her slightly younger brother, and when he heard it was her birthday last week, he immediately started singing, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Bullie, Happy Birthday to you, hoping she could hear him!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]. Great job! Definitely Prey-model Raw diet will help any dog to a stronger healthy immune system. Your post is very encouraging for owners how to feed you pet for longer life n see less of the vet! 13 with spunk says a lot!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! :birthday6::birthday6::birthday6:

OleMax

Aug 19, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ben
Beautiful looking seniors! My boy Max passed in February at 12 year 6 months and 8 days. Enjoy every day with them as I’m sure you do! Max fought heart failure for 6 months. The last month of of his life I kept having to get fluid drained from him weekly and it just got to be too much for him.

01DC1B08-B212-411A-9A79-6CE7700C168F.jpeg

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Beautiful looking seniors! My boy Max passed in February at 12 year 6 months and 8 days. Enjoy every day with them as I’m sure you do! Max fought heart failure for 6 months. The last month of of his life I kept having to get fluid drained from him weekly and it just got to be too much for him.

View attachment 119611

Ohhh this is so sad to hear. 12 years 6 months and 8 days is a great age for a bully. Max was loved and that's the best we can do for these special creatures.

Last week, Bullie did not eat her meaty bones. I think chewing bone has just become too much of a chore for her. She still has all her incisors with no apparent pain, I think she's just getting slower at her age. I hand fed her chicken wings and she liked that much better. This week, she tripped on her back legs again on the uneven pavers. Poor girl. But yeah, she's still snapping at her little brother and swatting at the stray cat, ruling the roost like the queen of england.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.