summerep

May 20, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Help needed!
Hi all,
Was hoping to get some much needed advice my 8 month old bulldog for the past week or so has been twirling on his bum and barking and growling getting really frustrated. Last Saturday I rang the vet and they said it could be his anal glands needed expressing which I suspected so we took him in to get that done. Itā€™s now a week later and he is still scooting/twirling and still barking/growling. I gave his tail pocket a good clean with some baby wipes this morning and this evening he is still getting frustrated.
He has been on piriton and has 2 a day for allergies as he tends to get congested when not having it so vet suggested piriton.
Think weā€™re gonna give the vet another call in the morning but any advice would be great! Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• 9BEC3314-7029-4365-8FE4-EEC3208B0EB4.jpeg
    9BEC3314-7029-4365-8FE4-EEC3208B0EB4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 513

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would think anal glands or tail pocket. Are you going deep enough when you clean the pocket?

OP
summerep

summerep

May 20, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I would think anal glands or tail pocket. Are you going deep enough when you clean the pocket?
I would like to think I was going deep enough when cleaning it, I will give it another go today. Thank you :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would like to think I was going deep enough when cleaning it, I will give it another go today. Thank you :)
My brindle has a tail pocket issue n does exactly what yours is doing. Twirling away. Like mentioned you need to go deeper till you hit the back wall. You will need to make a mixture of essential oil that will disinfect inside. Just wipes isnā€™t enough if thereā€™s redness going on inside. Or to find out if itā€™s red or infected, add witch Hazel mixed with coconut oil so it doesnā€™t sting too much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreedā€¦ anal glands, or tail pocket

missourbully

Mar 18, 2012
MN
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Help needed!
Hi all,
Was hoping to get some much needed advice my 8 month old bulldog for the past week or so has been twirling on his bum and barking and growling getting really frustrated. Last Saturday I rang the vet and they said it could be his anal glands needed expressing which I suspected so we took him in to get that done. Itā€™s now a week later and he is still scooting/twirling and still barking/growling. I gave his tail pocket a good clean with some baby wipes this morning and this evening he is still getting frustrated.
He has been on piriton and has 2 a day for allergies as he tends to get congested when not having it so vet suggested piriton.
Think weā€™re gonna give the vet another call in the morning but any advice would be great! Thanks in advance! :)
My female does that for either her tail fold or lady spot itching. She's never had her anal glands needed to be expressed.

Deanojft96

Jun 20, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
My female does that for either her tail fold or lady spot itching. She's never had her anal glands needed to be expressed.
I used ermidra on a female foster as she had a deep corkscrew tail infection sadly infection too far gone now its been amputated

MsKay13

Nov 8, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bunny Lou
Help needed!
Hi all,
You must use baby wipes after they poop. Neo-predif powder will kill the infection.

OP
summerep

summerep

May 20, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I used desitin cream on my baby girl. Clean, dry and apply.
I will definitely have a look at that hoping we can get it here in the UK! Thank you

OP
summerep

summerep

May 20, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
My brindle has a tail pocket issue n does exactly what yours is doing. Twirling away. Like mentioned you need to go deeper till you hit the back wall. You will need to make a mixture of essential oil that will disinfect inside. Just wipes isnā€™t enough if thereā€™s redness going on inside. Or to find out if itā€™s red or infected, add witch Hazel mixed with coconut oil so it doesnā€™t sting too much.
Thank you I will definitely have a look for these :)

Deanojft96

Jun 20, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
Thank you I will definitely have a look for these :)
Just a thought can you post a picture of the tail i have another dog in foster and she has a deep infection and has a really bad smell looks like it might need to be removed

OP
summerep

summerep

May 20, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Just a thought can you post a picture of the tail i have another dog in foster and she has a deep infection and has a really bad smell looks like it might need to be removed
Hi this is as good as I could get for a picture.
Bearā€™s tail never smelled so not quite sure if his was infected or at least not badly.
Every few days or when Bear will tell me I have been cleaning his tail pocket with just a natural baby wipe which I run under some warm water give it a good clean then dry it with some soft tissue. I have then been using a serum which I squirt on to the tissue and rub round his tail pocket and we havenā€™t had any problems since! Sorry to hear about the dogs tail hopefully it wonā€™t need to be removed. All the best :)

Attachments

• BD5250DA-0B14-433A-8D2E-BBB349B91829.png
    BD5250DA-0B14-433A-8D2E-BBB349B91829.png
    757.7 KB · Views: 460

Deanojft96

Jun 20, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Alfie
This is foster dog bum it looks like e.t and the infection goes deep and it needs removing

Attachments

• 20211103_140906.jpg
    20211103_140906.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.