Brown Nose Rope

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My dog's nose rope is brown. it is no infected or anything but it has been stained brown. how can i get it white again?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
My dog's nose rope is brown. it is no infected or anything but it has been stained brown. how can i get it white again?
First, examine the food ingredients first to see if anything might be causing the coloring. What food are they getting?

Next you can try waiting it out....

Then, if you are done waiting it out and keeping in mind that It is really important to keep the pocket dry:
1:1 Milk of Magnesia and 3%(drugstore) Hydrogen Peroxide (a tablespoon of each is more than enough)
mixed with small amounts of corn starch until you get a paste. note: the cornstarch is hydrophobic so it won't be easy to mix - just go for a paste and do it slow til you get the hang of it

Apply the paste and let it dry and sit for several hours then carefully soak and clean it away. Then dry the pocket really well and powder it with cornstarch.

You should theoretically notice a little difference each time you clean the dried paste away.

Since there is currently no infection and you're only trying to beautify the area, I would take a slow and cautious approach - maybe only let the paste sit for an hour the first time; wait a day or two in-between treatments.

If you want to get aggressive you could theoretically use higher grade Hydrogen Peroxide but I would be afraid of causing a burn.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All about food n sadly I know yours is limited cause he’s allergic to a lot of proteins. What is he on right now?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed food plays a role in it, but what @benny posted can help

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
She is on Vital Essentials freeze dried raw salmon. I have been using wrinkle paste but it doesnt do much for the stain.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use desitin at times , Lambeau folds get bad during allergies

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
She is on Vital Essentials freeze dried raw salmon. I have been using wrinkle paste but it doesnt do much for the stain.
Ingredients:

Salmon, mixed tocopherols (preservative), vitamin E supplement, zinc amino acid complex, iron amino acid complex, copper amino acid complex, manganese amino acid complex….

The only thing I might look into is the “mixed tocopherols preservative” cause your dog is basically allergic to everything. If the ingredient said “natural “ tocopherols which is mostly Vit C & E then you’re good but it states “mixed”. I’m in the food industry n I do use natural citric acid. There are 2kinds of CA. Natural n the bad one. Usually in pet food if it’s mix it’s ethoxyquin, butylated hydroxytoluene (or BHT), n butylated hydroxyanisole (or BHA). BHT & BHA which tons of people have no clue is also in cereals/grains. Not good. Companies, especially the cereal ones even make their packaging/boxes with BHT & BHA. I know right?!? So sadly we need to read everything in the food industry.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Ingredients:

Salmon, mixed tocopherols (preservative), vitamin E supplement, zinc amino acid complex, iron amino acid complex, copper amino acid complex, manganese amino acid complex….

The only thing I might look into is the “mixed tocopherols preservative” cause your dog is basically allergic to everything. If the ingredient said “natural “ tocopherols which is mostly Vit C & E then you’re good but it states “mixed”. I’m in the food industry n I do use natural citric acid. There are 2kinds of CA. Natural n the bad one. Usually in pet food if it’s mix it’s ethoxyquin, butylated hydroxytoluene (or BHT), n butylated hydroxyanisole (or BHA). BHT & BHA which tons of people have no clue is also in cereals/grains. Not good. Companies, especially the cereal ones even make their packaging/boxes with BHT & BHA. I know right?!? So sadly we need to read everything in the food industry.
I wash her nose rope with soap and warm water almost everyday and sometimes 2. no matter what i do her nose rope is still brown. the vet said it is remnants from yeast. It seems the remnants have stained her nose rope so bad that it is very hard getting it off. If i use my nail slightly to pick it off it works and my dog does not seem to mind. But it is difficult. any suggestions? should i use really warm water?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I started using desitin at night… seems to help

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You can also try coconut oil. You can add a drop of tea tree, mix it well n put it in the rope area. Does he have tear stains too?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.