Brisket isn't gaining weight!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hey everyone! it's been so long since I've been on here, and I've been meaning to check in, but work life, school, momma, and bully momma life have been too demanding lately, I hardly crack open my personal laptop anymore.

I hope everyone is well, but I wanted to make time to reach out because although Brisket has been in generally good health, his weight is a concern. He is not gaining weight. He has been on Fromm grain-free food for 2 years and he is still not gaining. He eats a lot and often, but still nothing. He is currently weighing at 42lbs and he's 2 and a half years old. The vet says he should be about 50-55lbs and idk what else to add that doesn't include grains, and I've tried raw with no luck. Any suggestions?
He's healthy as a horse.

Here is a picture of my Brisket šŸ˜

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.32.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.32.21 AM.png
    570.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.32.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.32.35 AM.png
    380 KB · Views: 73

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Here are a few things you can feed, also you can add some canned food.
Eggs ā€“ Eggs are a source of protein. Try adding some scrambled eggs
Salmon and Tuna ā€“ Both kinds of fish are sources of fat and protein.be cooked,not raw.
Pumpkin ā€“ Pumpkin provides vitamins, minerals, and fiber for dogs. Not pie mix-plain pumpkin or fresh cooked.
Sweet Potatoes ā€“sweet potatoes have nutrition ,always cooked.
Other members will probably have more suggestions. These things along with his food, (not all at once)(y)

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Hey everyone! it's been so long since I've been on here, and I've been meaning to check in, but work life, school, momma, and bully momma life have been too demanding lately, I hardly crack open my personal laptop anymore.

I hope everyone is well, but I wanted to make time to reach out because although Brisket has been in generally good health, his weight is a concern. He is not gaining weight. He has been on Fromm grain-free food for 2 years and he is still not gaining. He eats a lot and often, but still nothing. He is currently weighing at 42lbs and he's 2 and a half years old. The vet says he should be about 50-55lbs and idk what else to add that doesn't include grains, and I've tried raw with no luck. Any suggestions?
He's healthy as a horse.

Both our girls weigh around 40lbs, but I know females tend to be smaller usually. Perhaps you just have a smaller boy? Our vet says they're "pocket bulldogs" LOL.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
My bulldog, Porkchop, was always between 40-45 lbs. I don't know what his height was; he seemed to be maybe an inch or 2 shorter than some, but my vet was pleased with his weight. She felt that by not being so chubby as many of the bulldogs she saw, that likely contributed to his long life of 13 years. He looked lean but not skinny, had little "V" cut at the hips. He was also an active guy until the last 2 years when he had back issues. Attached is a photo of The Pork at age 3 yrs for you to compare. (Or check out our avatar)

Attachments

• Pork 3 yrs old.jpg
    Pork 3 yrs old.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 59

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How many cups of Fromm grain-free food you give him per day? @Manydogs got you covered. Eggs are great n loaded of protein n fish great oilsā€¦.

Does he like liver or heart?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

He's healthy as a horse.

I would not be too concerned, as others have said he just might be a smaller boy. 50-55 is average for a male bulldog, but it doesn't have to be... as long as you can not see his ribs and there is a good shape to his waist, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Can you post a picture of him form above, as he stands, so we can see his waist?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
View from the top

Attachments

• 7E60CA7A-AFB1-46C3-9FAD-83B667C71210.jpeg
    7E60CA7A-AFB1-46C3-9FAD-83B667C71210.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
How many cups of Fromm grain-free food you give him per day? @Manydogs got you covered. Eggs are great n loaded of protein n fish great oilsā€¦.

Does he like liver or heart?
Right now heā€™s eating more than before at 4 generous cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and heā€™s still always hungry!

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I would not be too concerned, as others have said he just might be a smaller boy. 50-55 is average for a male bulldog, but it doesn't have to be... as long as you can not see his ribs and there is a good shape to his waist, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Can you post a picture of him form above, as he stands, so we can see his waist?

Attachments

• 736E524F-93B2-4F09-99EC-4DD056CCC4AA.jpeg
    736E524F-93B2-4F09-99EC-4DD056CCC4AA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
This was my previous dog Duke. He wasnā€™t big either. He weighed around 45-50lbs. He usually would average around 45. I didnā€™t want him fat either especially for this breed. So I wouldnā€™t worry about it. But I will have to say if your dog is eating 4 cups a day n still looking for food, mind you they all do but most are on 2 cups a day, I would switch food. Try Acana single protein or Orijen which is higher in calories. These are quality kibble n higher in protein. Never forget, youā€™re better off having a thinner dog than a chunky one. Do you feel his all his ribs or just the last one like youā€™re supposed to?

Attachments

• AC9C0544-A3A9-4D4D-BCA3-D4DCA8F989A7.jpeg
    AC9C0544-A3A9-4D4D-BCA3-D4DCA8F989A7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He looks good..... can you see his ribs at all? 4 cups is alot, but they are all always wanting more. Lambeau will eat till he pukes if I let him

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.