Breeding when dog has skin issues...

KJacobs

Mar 28, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
We have two English Bulldogs and plan to breed in 2024. I took our 9 mo old to the vet and she was saying if the dog has allergies, they may be genetic and breeding may not be a good idea. I'm going to wait to see if diet improves her skin. We are currently on grain free, but it sounds like eliminating some proteins (chicken!) might be the issue.....ANYWAY - what is the general consensus on breeding a bulldog with skin allergies (if nothing else clears it up)?

OP
KJacobs

KJacobs

Mar 28, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I would be more concerned with whether or not you are doing the OFA recommended health testing for bulldogs before breeding rather than if they have allergies.
Ho - yes I am. My vet said to wait when I took in the forms for her. She said we don't have a cardiologist where I live and to wait until she's at least one and get everything done at once.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ho - yes I am. My vet said to wait when I took in the forms for her. She said we don't have a cardiologist where I live and to wait until she's at least one and get everything done at once.
Yes, the majority of the OFA tests can't even be done until the dogs are 1 year old and hips and elbow can't be done until the dog is 2 years old. And hopefully you are not breeding your girl before she turns 2 years old.

OP
KJacobs

KJacobs

Mar 28, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank you! I've heard that too.... I'm going back to some grain (quinoa) and fish diet with a side of green beans and carrots. I'm suspicious it's the chicken powder/chicken meal in her "grain free" kibble. If this doesn't work, raw it is. The other bulldog seems to not have issues with the kibble. Weird

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you! I've heard that too.... I'm going back to some grain (quinoa) and fish diet with a side of green beans and carrots. I'm suspicious it's the chicken powder/chicken meal in her "grain free" kibble. If this doesn't work, raw it is. The other bulldog seems to not have issues with the kibble. Weird

What are you feeding her??? Brand and protein?? Are you trying to treat allergies?

Raw is definitely the way to go, but there is premium kibbles out there that I recommend if raw is not a option.

You would be surprised if what they can put into kibbles and canned(feathers, waste form garbage, and powder cellulose=sawdust basically) and some kibbles can even use dead, or diseased animals or the drug to euthanize animals(and they donā€™t even have to list it on the ingredients)- Gross!!
No wonder all these health issues come upā˜¹ļø

Dianne

Feb 3, 2023
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanley and Stella
Iā€™m trying Yora now have tried everything else but insects so fingers crossed

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Iā€™m trying Yora now have tried everything else but insects so fingers crossed

I just looked up that brand of food your feeding, itā€™s got some inflammatory ingredients in it and LOTS of synthetic vitamins minerals(which can trigger the allergies).

Your dogs have allergies???

Have you tried raw diet???

What foods have you tried in the past??

Where are you from? Just so I can suggest some brands to try that may be available to you.

Most Reactions