Brachycephalic surgery for 3yr old male

Nickbryan25

Apr 12, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nugget, Leila
Hi new to the forums here and need some advice. Iā€™ve researched extensively on the pros and cons of the surgery for several weeks. My 3yr old male bulldog shows the signs of the syndrome, especially when eating or drinking causing him to gag and vomit often. Overexciting also causes him to vomit or the inability to catch his breath and calm down and I believe he would benefit greatly from having g this done. My questions are what are the factors that separate severe, moderate, and mild BOAS and if anyone has any recommendations on a surgeon in Ohio where I reside to go to for my pup. Money is not a care of mine and I want the very best treatment for him given the possible risks of anesthesia. While I understand he is young at 3yrs of age and otherwise a very healthy dog I do not know at what age the risk is higher than reward for him. I feel pretty knowledgeable about the subject given I work as a firefighter paramedic, but am looking for advice on a vet in Ohio that is qualified and experienced in this to ensure he gets the best treatment thank you!

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi new to the forums here and need some advice. Iā€™ve researched extensively on the pros and cons of the surgery for several weeks. My 3yr old male bulldog shows the signs of the syndrome, especially when eating or drinking causing him to gag and vomit often. Overexciting also causes him to vomit or the inability to catch his breath and calm down and I believe he would benefit greatly from having g this done. My questions are what are the factors that separate severe, moderate, and mild BOAS and if anyone has any recommendations on a surgeon in Ohio where I reside to go to for my pup. Money is not a care of mine and I want the very best treatment for him given the possible risks of anesthesia. While I understand he is young at 3yrs of age and otherwise a very healthy dog I do not know at what age the risk is higher than reward for him. I feel pretty knowledgeable about the subject given I work as a paramedic, but am looking for advice on a vet in Ohio that is qualified and experienced in this to ensure he gets the best treatment thank you!
@2BullyMama @Cbrugs vets in Ohio??

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
This surgery is simple. The risks are with the General Anesthesia and post-op vomiting. Your Vet should prescribe pain/anti-inflammatory meds and anti nausea meds for a few days. We think that it's very important to offer a canned(soft) food forv4-5 days post op...(canned version of the current food you feed if possible).
I recommend no food only water(small doses) the day of surgery. This allows the digestive system to fully awaken from the GA. Day 2&3 you can introduce no more than 1/2 of a normal meal 2-3 times. Day 4 you can feed full ration and reintroduce some dry food if you like. Day 5 feed as normal. You should notice profound improvement after day 5...perhaps sooner.
If, during those first 5 days, your pup vomits anything see your Vet immediately. Do not call them, just go to the Vet. No Vet can diagnose aspiration over the phone.

ZeldasMom

Nov 3, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zelda
Hi new to the forums here and need some advice. Iā€™ve researched extensively on the pros and cons of the surgery for several weeks. My 3yr old male bulldog shows the signs of the syndrome, especially when eating or drinking causing him to gag and vomit often. Overexciting also causes him to vomit or the inability to catch his breath and calm down and I believe he would benefit greatly from having g this done. My questions are what are the factors that separate severe, moderate, and mild BOAS and if anyone has any recommendations on a surgeon in Ohio where I reside to go to for my pup. Money is not a care of mine and I want the very best treatment for him given the possible risks of anesthesia. While I understand he is young at 3yrs of age and otherwise a very healthy dog I do not know at what age the risk is higher than reward for him. I feel pretty knowledgeable about the subject given I work as a firefighter paramedic, but am looking for advice on a vet in Ohio that is qualified and experienced in this to ensure he gets the best treatment thank you!
Hi - I'm in the same situation with my 2 year old female bulldog. Our regular vet only does the "nose part" and not the palate. My girl exhibits the same symptoms as your boy and has been hospitalized with pneumonia once. I'm leaning towards MedVet in Copley/Akron area. I've also been given Metro as an option from my vet. I only have experience with MedVet as that's where I took her to the ER. And they were great with her so I'm hoping the non-er side is as good.
I plan on taking her for a consultation soon. From my understanding, it's post-surgery where more complications can arise due to swelling. So a 24hr facility is the best option.
Have you gotten any other names of places? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hope all goes well.. I see a few provide a vet to check out

Most Reactions