Bosco the Bulldog

Jan 26, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Hello..We just got Bosco..he is approximately 8-9 years old. He was picked up on the streets of Palm Desert, CA..spent 4 days in the shelter, was neutered and is now with us....problem. We have two loving cats and although its only been a few days..it's not looking good. He even lunges at them from outside their outdoor catio (with is attached to the house) . Any suggestions?? He has gotten physical with one..the other is still in hiding. I love my cats..any suggestions?? Other than that..he is a good ol' boy..a little gassy...but good!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
My son went through this. They let their dog see the cat as often as possible, separated and supervised of course. Lots of praise when he ignored her. He would lunge too but eventually, he got used to seeing the cat and now ignores her. They still keep them separated when no-one is home though.

Edited to add, he was always on a leash.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Regarding Bosco: There are many dogs who have not been around cats, and would be curious. There are dogs(by idiot people) who have been encouraged to chase cats. There are also dogs who have a natural prey drive instinct-or have been scratched or tormented by cats,or small animals in their past. Your not having any past history of Bosco,and his age-It is unlikely that he will accept the cats as friends-or even peaceful housemates. Though miracles can happen,it would certainly take alot of due diligence on your part- and danger to the cats, especially if he actually lunges as opposed to sneaking up on them. Do not try to put them together-it will take a long time for him to accept them-if ever. Perhaps someone has a better scenario-If he was a youngster, I would certainly have a better outlook. [MENTION=19459]Bosco the Bulldog[/MENTION]

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to Bosco! How great that you adopted a senior and I hope he can learn to live with, if not love, the cats. We'd love to see photos of Bosco!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN... thank you so much for saving a senior, so wonderful!!

i agree with the others, this will take time to work out, it may be they can never be tighter when not supervised, but could potentially coexist in the home

best of luck

OP
B

Bosco the Bulldog

Jan 26, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
OH I want to post pics of this old guy...have to figure out where and how to do that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH I want to post pics of this old guy...have to figure out where and how to do that!

When replying... in the tool bar of the reply box, there is a small icon second or third from left... hover over and it says ‘insert image’ (I think)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.