Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey Boris is 8 months old I've been feeding him fromm gold puppy food since he's 2 months and did great on it. The past month on and off he's been having diarreah I've brought him to the vet a few times they tested for worms and parasites it came back negative the vet gave me metronidazole which helped at first now she prescribed tylan powder which he just started today. I'm worried for my baby that his stomach hasn't resolved itself. I was thinking maybe switching him to a grain free diet of fromm beef frittata would help but I don't know if he's too young to switch to adult food. Has anyone else been thru something similar with there bully. Thanks for your help.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I switched Winnie to adult food when she was 7 months old--vet approved. You could give Boris probiotics. I use Fortiflora, one packet sprinkled on each of my dogs' morning feeding. I started this to help with loose stools and it did. You could also give Boris a little canned pumpkin (just plain pumpkin--not pie filling) to firm up his stools. I get Fortiflora from chewy.com, where it's a lot cheaper than I pay at the vet. Welcome to EBN--Boris is adorable!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
As Donna stated, it is safe to switch to adult food after 7mos. I would put him on a bland diet of boiled sirloin and rice for a week or so then switch him to a good grain free food. Fromm is very good. Many of our member here use it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As Donna stated, it is safe to switch to adult food after 7mos. I would put him on a bland diet of boiled sirloin and rice for a week or so then switch him to a good grain free food. Fromm is very good. Many of our member here use it.

:goodpost:

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Thank you so much for your recommendation do you think I should start the tylan the vet gave me I just picked it up today and they said I should mix it with wet food or should I try a bland diet first. Also what's a very good wet food if I give him the tylan. Thanks.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Have they tested for giardia? Altho those meds might kill that also,
but just wondering.

Does Fromm's Puppy contain chicken, they sometimes develop
allergies to chicken so may want to avoid it in adult kibble. Yes, he
is old enough for adult food & grain free is good choice. Heck, the
grains could now be messing w/ his tummy. Filtered water is best
vs tap as tap can contain chemicals/ minerals that upset tummy.
Brita Water Filter Pitchers are good for this, good luck!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank you so much for your recommendation do you think I should start the tylan the vet gave me I just picked it up today and they said I should mix it with wet food or should I try a bland diet first. Also what's a very good wet food if I give him the tylan. Thanks.
Tylan is used for colitis and chronic diahrrea. It messes the immune system so if his symptoms aren't really bad, I would try the bland diet first. you could also add a plain pepcid 10mg, start with once a day. Make sure it is plain pepcid. The active ingredient in pepcid is famotidine. This should be the only thing listed on the label. If you can only find 20mg tablets, break it in half. This will help settle the tummy in conjunction with the bland diet. DO NOT give wet food while he has diahrrea, it could and probably will make it worse. If he has to take the pill and wont you can buy pill pockets. They come in a hypoallergenic formula, or you can get the beef flavor and give a portion of it just enough to cover the pill for secret ingestion :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How much do you feed at each feeding?

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
I give him 1 and a 1/4 cups twice a day

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Yes they have tested for giardia which is what the vet thought it was, it came back negative. Fromm puppy gold does contain chicken he was doing really well on it since I had him. Is it possible when they get older for them to get an allergy to the chicken or grains?

Have they tested for giardia? Altho those meds might kill that also,
but just wondering.

Does Fromm's Puppy contain chicken, they sometimes develop
allergies to chicken so may want to avoid it in adult kibble. Yes, he
is old enough for adult food & grain free is good choice. Heck, the
grains could now be messing w/ his tummy. Filtered water is best
vs tap as tap can contain chemicals/ minerals that upset tummy.
Brita Water Filter Pitchers are good for this, good luck!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give him 1 and a 1/4 cups twice a day

I switched Lambeau to adult Fromm at 8 mths abd stayed at the same amount 1 1/4 cup..... he transitioned fine. He was on the Pairie Gold puppy formula and I transitioned to Pork and Peas, but he started to lick his paws, so I went to Game Bird and he is doing well

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Ok I definitely want to switch him to adult what would be the best way to transition him to that? I've heard good things about the beef frittata I'd like to give that a try with him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok I definitely want to switch him to adult what would be the best way to transition him to that? I've heard good things about the beef frittata I'd like to give that a try with him.

With Fromm 4star line (puppy and adult), you can just tranisiton right over. My girl did well on the Beef Frittatta... one of the great perks of the Fromm line, no transition needed

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Is the Fromm puppy gold the same line as Fromm 4 star

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes they have tested for giardia which is what the vet thought it was, it came back negative.
Fromm puppy gold does contain chicken he was doing really well on it since I had him. Is it possible when they get older
for them to get an allergy to the chicken or grains?

Yes, they can develop allergies to things & foods they were fine with,
but don't freak out, lol,

Giardia can be difficult to obtain positive culture HOWEVER, sounds
like your Vet is on it!

You can transition with a 1/4 new food to 1 cup old food and every
week add more new & less old over a month's time. HOWEVER, I
would not do anything until you solve the mystery of his tummy
issues or resolves on it's own. Other than put him on Bland Diet
for a couple weeks, if tummy problems resolve than after that, can
go from that into new kibble only. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online