Bones

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I have been giving my 3 dogs raw bones(marrow bones) which they ALL love!!

I for some reason thought that they are only supposed to chew at it to get the marrow out. But the bigger dogs chew pieces off the ends and eat it, are they allowed/supposed to chew off small pieces of the ends and safely swallow the pieces of the ends??

Are those pieces they break off digestible??

I took a photo of the bone area that Iā€™m unsure about (the end there is pieces she chewed off and swallowed), is it ok for them to swallow and digest those small pieces??

@Cbrugs @helsonwheels do any of your dogs chew small pieces off these and swallow??

And when do you take it away from your dogs? I leave it with them and monitor/supervise always, and when they get the marrow out I take it away which is about 1.5 hours.

1673242165792.jpeg

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Yes. Totally fine for the raw bone

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like Citti mine too chews pieces off. All good. What I donā€™t give is Joints like knee etc.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Like Citti mine too chews pieces off. All good. What I donā€™t give is Joints like knee etc.

Thank you, glad to know they can safely chew off pieces without issue.

Isnā€™t the joint/knee a knuckle bone??

Why donā€™t you give those? Just curious I havenā€™t heard that beforešŸ˜Š

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
@benny and @Cbrugs

Thank you also for your responses, glad they can safely chew off small pieces without issue.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you, glad to know they can safely chew off pieces without issue.

Isnā€™t the joint/knee a knuckle bone??

Why donā€™t you give those? Just curious I havenā€™t heard that beforešŸ˜Š
Turns their poop into white dry crumbles. Well does to all dogs Iā€™ve ever owned. Also about a couple yrs I bought a whole cow for the freezer. Came with bones so I asked the butcher I only wanted the ones with the marrow n a few soup bones. There was some soup bones with lots of meat on them. I gave Nyala n Jake one. But the one Jake had, had a hidden softer bone inside the cavity of the meat. You really couldnā€™t see it. Well I saw it on an X-ray when Jake hasnā€™t pooped for 5days. Was shaped like a raindrop. 4ā€ in height n the round part was a good 2ā€ . He was at the vet having his butt pumped. He was on this special soapy pink liquid that was going up there so he can poop it out. Fragments did come out for 2 days . The vet knows me n said I can take him home if I continue to do the soap injections. More fragments was coming out. Took a good 2 weeks. The rest is history.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Turns their poop into white dry crumbles. Well does to all dogs Iā€™ve ever owned. Also about a couple yrs I bought a whole cow for the freezer. Came with bones so I asked the butcher I only wanted the ones with the marrow n a few soup bones. There was some soup bones with lots of meat on them. I gave Nyala n Jake one. But the one Jake had, had a hidden softer bone inside the cavity of the meat. You really couldnā€™t see it. Well I saw it on an X-ray when Jake hasnā€™t pooped for 5days. Was shaped like a raindrop. 4ā€ in height n the round part was a good 2ā€ . He was at the vet having his butt pumped. He was on this special soapy pink liquid that was going up there so he can poop it out. Fragments did come out for 2 days . The vet knows me n said I can take him home if I continue to do the soap injections. More fragments was coming out. Took a good 2 weeks. The rest is history.

OMG, thatā€™s scary for both you and Jake.

So only stick to raw Marrow bones?? Have you had any issues with those marrow bones??

Even with them chewing small pieces of the end of it like the photo I attached in the first post, no issues for your dogs??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep.... agree with the gang. I don't give joints either, i use those for bone broth. To me they are too soft and the pups can get larger pieces off

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your response, so you give just raw marrow bones?
yes... the only bone i give. they get it somewhat frozen, sometimes fresh from butcher.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Been giving marrow bones to all my dogs for decades. Never had issuesā€¦.

Do you defrost them first or do you give them frozen?? The package says itā€™s optional, but not sure what would be best/saferšŸ˜Š

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.