Blisters Nose Rope

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I clean my dogs nose rope with duoxo stufd. First I leave duoxo shampoo on her nose rope for about 10 minutes, then I wipe and try to get rid of any brown stuff(remnants of yeast), then I dry it with tissue, then I wipe it with duoxo wipes. The brown stuff keeps coming and NEVER goes away, and today I noticed a few blisters. She is on a fresh raw diet and nothing else. Why cant I get rid of this brown stuff and how can I treat the blisters?! Thanks everyone.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I clean my dogs nose rope with duoxo stufd. First I leave duoxo shampoo on her nose rope for about 10 minutes, then I wipe and try to get rid of any brown stuff(remnants of yeast), then I dry it with tissue, then I wipe it with duoxo wipes. The brown stuff keeps coming and NEVER goes away, and today I noticed a few blisters. She is on a fresh raw diet and nothing else. Why cant I get rid of this brown stuff and how can I treat the blisters?! Thanks everyone.

For the blisters in the wrinkles I use Natural Dog Company Wrinkle balm and itā€™s great for maintenance and also for sores and blisters and irritated Wrinkles.

Do you dry the wrinkles after cleaning them?? I clean my dogs wrinkes, dry them then put the Wrinkle balm on the wrinkes before bed.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Same as @Bulldog2001 I would ask if you are drying the rope.
Also is this your daily routine? Are you using the regular shampoo or S3?

Until you get it under control I would clean it out twice a day with the wipes, or chlorhexidine on its own (itā€™s pretty cheap for a gallon of 2%). Since the shampoo bottle says 2-3 times a week, I would only shampoo every few days.

Also, more important, dry it very well afterwards and after drying I would powder the area with corn starch.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
For the blisters in the wrinkles I use Natural Dog Company Wrinkle balm and itā€™s great for maintenance and also for sores and blisters and irritated Wrinkles.

Do you dry the wrinkles after cleaning them?? I clean my dogs wrinkes, dry them then put the Wrinkle balm on the wrinkes before bed.
Yes, i do dry it. i have been washinbg for 2 weeks twice a day and the brown stuff just keeps coming back. she is on duck, turkey fresh raw. she does not itch either so i assume she is not allergic.

I am using the s3 shampoo.

When I use corn starch, I have a hard time getting it off the next day. So I end up scrubbing, and I think it hurts my dog . Also by the end of the day it gets pastey even if i dry the nose rope before applying the corn starch. i have tried everythinhg, witch hazel, wrinkle paste, mal a ket, duoxo and cornstarch.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, i do dry it. i have been washinbg for 2 weeks twice a day and the brown stuff just keeps coming back. she is on duck, turkey fresh raw. she does not itch either so i assume she is not allergic.

When I use corn starch, I have a hard time getting it off the next day. So I end up scrubbing, and I think it hurts my dog . Also by the end of the day it gets pastey even if i dry the nose rope before applying the corn starch. i have tried everythinhg, witch hazel, wrinkle paste, mal a ket, duoxo and cornstarch.
A food allergy or intolerance can cause yeast. My French Bulldog cannot have duck, turkey or lamb. Last time I tried lamb, he got a yeast infection in his ears.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Also by the end of the day it gets pastey even if i dry the nose rope before applying the corn starch. i have tried everythinhg, witch hazel, wrinkle paste, mal a ket, duoxo and cornstarch.
You have to dry the nose rope before applying the corn starch.
The reason it is getting pasty is because it's getting damp in there. The corn starch is absorbing that moisture. You might need to attack it with corn starch even more often than twice a day. Once you get it under control you won't have to do it as often.
Without the cornstarch, there's nothing to soak up the moisture.
Can you pack it with some gauze for a little bit before cornstarch? Do you have some time you can set aside to observe the area over the course of the day to see how long it takes to start to gunk up? If you do this with cornstarch you can remove the spent cornstarch and reapply and take notes.

You need to get that area dry and keep it dry for it to heal.

@Cbrugs is also likely onto something - possibly allergies compounding the issue.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

Is this a frozen raw diet or freeze dried that you add water to???

Try a fish formula, beef is another good option even dogs that are allergic to cooked beef can usually have it.

How about Kangaroo, Goat or rabbit formula for raw to rotate thru???

Have you tried Natural Dog Company wrinkle balm??? I have tried other wrinkle balms but the only one that works is Natural Dog Company wrinkle balm!

Is there vegetables in her raw diet?? Too much Vegetables feed the yeast which could be the issue instead of allergies since there isnā€™t allergy symptoms.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I just applied some desitin on her per the other posts that i read. Starting tomor, i will try cleaning twice a day with chorhexidine wipes, then dry with tissues and apply cornstarch. we will see how this goes for the next week.

She is on a raw duck and turkey diet, no veggies just meat and bones. Im starting to wonder if she is allergic to something in her probiotic.

Probiotic: Organic Prebiotics: Fos (Fructooligosaccharides), Organic Inulin Derived From Agave, Organic Acacia Probiotics: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Bifidobacterium Infantis, Enterococcus Faeciuim, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus Brevis

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I just applied some desitin on her per the other posts that i read. Starting tomor, i will try cleaning twice a day with chorhexidine wipes, then dry with tissues and apply cornstarch. we will see how this goes for the next week.

She is on a raw duck and turkey diet, no veggies just meat and bones. Im starting to wonder if she is allergic to something in her probiotic.

Probiotic: Organic Prebiotics: Fos (Fructooligosaccharides), Organic Inulin Derived From Agave, Organic Acacia Probiotics: Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Bifidobacterium Infantis, Enterococcus Faeciuim, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus Brevis

Good she is on raw diet, and a probiotics also helps too.

Goats milk is a good probiotics for them, maybe try that and see if she improves?

Keep us updated

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Good she is on raw diet, and a probiotics also helps too.

Goats milk is a good probiotics for them, maybe try that and see if she improves?

Keep us updated
I am trying to find a fresh probiotic but she is allergic to goats milk and dairy so kefir also would not work. i might try fresh sauerkraut. i am getting very frustrated because this brown yeast is not going away and the vet does not have any solutions. I feel like i have been trying everything for months now. I want to leave the probiotic out for a few days to see if that is the culprit but then she starts scooting and her anal glands start to smell.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
The brown stuff keeps coming and NEVER goes away, and today I noticed a few blisters.
The blisters could be a chemical burn from not getting all of the shampoo/soap out of the fold. Rinse rinse rinse until there's no residue at all...or risk creating a burn.
Some bulldogs have a funky rope area and some do not. Baby wipes are what we use every 2-3 days. Wiping more than that causes inflammation in that area...which is worse than the brown gunk.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
The blisters could be a chemical burn from not getting all of the shampoo/soap out of the fold. Rinse rinse rinse until there's no residue at all...or risk creating a burn.
Good spot! I didnā€™t notice that rinsing wasnā€™t mentioned after wiping.

Can you get some well lit photos of the skin after you have cleaned it? I also wonder what it looks like 30min-1hour later

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
A lot of great points mentioned. One thing I would tackle like @Cbrugs mentioned is the protein. Raw or not, most of the time thatā€™s the culprit. Yes sadly youā€™re dog has numerous allergy issues. A bit more work n why you need to write down what you used as you can mix certain ingredients n didnā€™t noticed the pattern. You need to be careful with all the stuff youā€™re applying in his nose rope. I simply donā€™t use anything like duoxo etc as no matter what itā€™s all base with chemicals. Like Chip mentioned it will definitely irritate the skin. At the end of the day, no matter what you use it absolutely needs to be dried up. If I need to tackle Jakeā€™s rope which is rare now, I use bag balm only at night when he goes to bed. Next morning I clean it all out n dry it completely.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I am trying to find a fresh probiotic but she is allergic to goats milk and dairy so kefir also would not work. i might try fresh sauerkraut. i am getting very frustrated because this brown yeast is not going away and the vet does not have any solutions. I feel like i have been trying everything for months now. I want to leave the probiotic out for a few days to see if that is the culprit but then she starts scooting and her anal glands start to smell.

I give my other dogs goats milk, but my other dog that canā€™t have goat milk, I give him Adored Beast brand, their probiotics are good, right now I have him on Gut Soothe from Adored Beast brand(all their probiotics are good), the other brand I use for his other supplements is Four Leaf Rover, they have a probiotic called Protect.

Four Leaf Rover protect, or yeast guard is good for yeast as well as adored beast gut soothe, all these probiotics are good for allergies.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online