Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Diasy is teething badly and I have got her lots of chew toys to help her with this but my problem is that she is super strong and has at times got hold of my feet or hands and it really really hurts but most times a firm NO from me and she lets go my problem is I am so nervous of her being around the youngest kids ( they are 6 and 7) incase she gets a grip and won't let go quick enough, I have been teaching them to offer a toy when she is bitey but actually I think she would prefer their hands and we have had some close calls, I just don't want them to be frightened of her as I know the teething doesn't last forever. I seen some posts were people would use a water spray I think this would prob be the best solution for us any other advice would be great. The good thing is we are off to puppy classes tonight but I love to hear advice from other owners.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diasy is teething badly and I have got her lots of chew toys to help her with this but my problem is that she is super strong and has at times got hold of my feet or hands and it really really hurts but most times a firm NO from me and she lets go my problem is I am so nervous of her being around the youngest kids ( they are 6 and 7) incase she gets a grip and won't let go quick enough, I have been teaching them to offer a toy when she is bitey but actually I think she would prefer their hands and we have had some close calls, I just don't want them to be frightened of her as I know the teething doesn't last forever. I seen some posts were people would use a water spray I think this would prob be the best solution for us any other advice would be great. The good thing is we are off to puppy classes tonight but I love to hear advice from other owners.

puppy classes will help immensely, we had a bulldog that did the same and after classes and constant teaching not to bite, stopped. Good luck at class please let us know how it turns out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, the water spray bottle worked well for us with out girl.... Lambeau our boy now, is afraid of the bottle so the 'firm NO' and toy redirect worked great with him

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you that is really reassuring and I will let you no who it goes tonight I am really excited ��

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
The best thing that worked for biting hard was screaming like it hurt (like Owwww). Once he understood that he was hurting me he would bite softer and I would give a firm no and redirect with a toy.

Another thing that works is walking away. Mine was gated in the kitchen so I would walk away and leave him for 5 minutes and then come back to play. He still bites but it is soft and he is easily redirected.

I would also put the bitter apple spray on my socks because he would attack them while on my feet. Hot sauce worked better on walls.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
The best thing that worked for biting hard was screaming like it hurt (like Owwww). Once he understood that he was hurting me he would bite softer and I would give a firm no and redirect with a toy.

Another thing that works is walking away. Mine was gated in the kitchen so I would walk away and leave him for 5 minutes and then come back to play. He still bites but it is soft and he is easily redirected.

I would also put the bitter apple spray on my socks because he would attack them while on my feet. Hot sauce worked better on walls.
I thought it was just us that had the feet problem I don't think I will ever be able to walk around without shoes he sees toes and literally full on attacks. It's frightening sometimes but I very rarely am without shoes in the house now I am going to try the bitter Apple spray but I really can't see George not liking it he loves everything.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I thought it was just us that had the feet problem I don't think I will ever be able to walk around without shoes he sees toes and literally full on attacks. It's frightening sometimes but I very rarely am without shoes in the house now I am going to try the bitter Apple spray but I really can't see George not liking it he loves everything.

Mine didn't like it from the start as a puppy. But you have to have a couple of squirts on the socks.

I find strong smells deter him (as I said hot sauce worked on the walls that he chewed on). He is 9 months now and rarely goes after my feet anymore and its usually because he was cuddling and lost his chew toy and starts mouthing things.

A good command to start practicing is leave it. I will put a treat on the floor (cover up as needed when they lunge for it) and say leave it. When he doesn't eat it he gets a treat. Eventually you start giving him treats when he makes eye contact and doesn't eat the treat on the floor. It works great for when he is wondering around the house with me to stop him getting into things. He will sniff everything and put everything in his mouth.

Don't worry the phase will pass. As a side note, I don't play tug of war with mine because he aggressively tries to get you to play with toys. He won't bite but he will growl and this could be off-putting to children. I won't throw him the ball until he is calm and sitting and then when he comes back and shakes his head and growls I ignore him until he sits next to me. At that point he gets pets and praise and after a bit I say drop it and take the ball from his mouth and start over. You can also apply this concept to petting so that they only get pet when they are sitting.

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Mine didn't like it from the start as a puppy. But you have to have a couple of squirts on the socks.

I find strong smells deter him (as I said hot sauce worked on the walls that he chewed on). He is 9 months now and rarely goes after my feet anymore and its usually because he was cuddling and lost his chew toy and starts mouthing things.

A good command to start practicing is leave it. I will put a treat on the floor (cover up as needed when they lunge for it) and say leave it. When he doesn't eat it he gets a treat. Eventually you start giving him treats when he makes eye contact and doesn't eat the treat on the floor. It works great for when he is wondering around the house with me to stop him getting into things. He will sniff everything and put everything in his mouth.

Don't worry the phase will pass. As a side note, I don't play tug of war with mine because he aggressively tries to get you to play with toys. He won't bite but he will growl and this could be off-putting to children. I won't throw him the ball until he is calm and sitting and then when he comes back and shakes his head and growls I ignore him until he sits next to me. At that point he gets pets and praise and after a bit I say drop it and take the ball from his mouth and start over. You can also apply this concept to petting so that they only get pet when they are sitting.

I constantly play tug of war with her to distract her from my hands, I won't do it see how it goes

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I constantly play tug of war with her to distract her from my hands, I won't do it see how it goes

Tug of war is not bad in itself. Mine was just way too aggressive (not biting but growling) but it was behavior I didn't want to encourage. He has gotten better about it and now sits next to me with his ball without me having to tell him. I may consider playing tug of war with him now.

But the bitter apple spray on the feet, screaming Owww really loudly, and walking away helped the most. Associating with other dogs will help too because they won't play with a puppy who is biting too much.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We never really had / have an issue with Penny using us for chew toys - Lockjaw on the other hand, he's a whole other story. The firm "NO" didn't work with him, we just went to grab his snout and tucked his lips under his own teeth, that was the best way to get him to open his grip - but still said "NO BITE". He's much better about it now, it just took a while to get him out of the habit.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley

Thanks I don't really play tug as he growls and like that I think it can form aggressive tendencies but unfortunately I have some family members (that I have asked not to) play tug with him and it is not something I can do anything about as these people are so touchy about things and can't see what they are doing wrong. There is also the issue with constant petting and talking to the dog like he's a toddler. George likes quiet and peace he doesn't like to be petted much and is a much calmer dog when it is quiet in the house. George is just nearly 8 months now and there's no sign of him stopping the chewing or foot attacks but I will keep trying and I will try the method you have outlined. But as I've mentioned these outbursts are usually following some outside interference from my nearby family visiting several times a day.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
another vote for the water bottle...works every time

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online