Been a while!! How in the world do you trim your bullies nails?!

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
My sweet Frankie boy pretends to be the toughest guy in town but when it comes to getting his nails trimmed.. He's a HUGE baby!! My husband and I have tried just about everything. Distracting, treats, doing it when he sleeps.. I just don't know what to do.. HELP!

His nails are so long and sharp, the skin family members are getting hurt! It doesn't seem to bother him, but.. ya know. Even constant walks on the pavement haven't really helped.

I knew if anyone could help, it'd be ya'll!! Frankie .png

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Dremel and a sanding drum. Works like a charm.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
The vet's here will trim the nails for free. I use Pretty Paws and a nail clipper on Punk - she hates having her nails trimmed - I get the STINK EYE severely. . .

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
The vet's here will trim the nails for free. I use Pretty Paws and a nail clipper on Punk - she hates having her nails trimmed - I get the STINK EYE severely. . .

I believe with almost every dog it starts when they are pups. (At least with all of mine) Them being comfortable with you touching there feet. Mine will sit and give you their paw. Bella's I have done when she is sleeping so far. But I am constantly touching and rubbing her when she is awake and calm.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I trim while he sleeps one nail a night. He hates it. I have been massaging his paws and he has learned more trust there.

On walks he likes to kick his bowel movements so I pull him onto the sidewalk or street for nail grinding. That keeps the back nails pretty short.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dremel at the groomers... works like a charm :). Treats and toys held as a ditraction

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I trim while he sleeps one nail a night. He hates it. I have been massaging his paws and he has learned more trust there.

On walks he likes to kick his bowel movements so I pull him onto the sidewalk or street for nail grinding. That keeps the back nails pretty short.

One nail per night when he sleeps? Man Kim you are too funny! Sneeky Kim!!!! Lollll

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Mine have all been started as pups. Two of them I can do while their on their backs and one is done with he's standing up. Wilson was my toughest at first and still fights me a bit but he does great once he settles in. Emma literally falls asleep on her back when I'm doing hers. For Wilson when I started off (or when he would really fight me early on) I'm simply put him over my lap where my legs are raised up a bit (like sitting on a stair) and would do him that would cause he couldn't go anywhere. I use nail clippers to do the main clipping and the always follow up with a Dremal for fine tuning.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
haha,,,, me too ie..let him kick up the 'dirt' on the cement ;)

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Whopper gets his done on his back between my legs. His head at my feet. He squirms at first but ends up giving in after he poops himself out. Or I have my wife rub his tummy. If he is having his tummy rubbed he don't care what you do to him. It's almost like he falls into a hypnotic trance.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Whopper gets his done on his back between my legs. His head at my feet. He squirms at first but ends up giving in after he poops himself out. Or I have my wife rub his tummy. If he is having his tummy rubbed he don't care what you do to him. It's almost like he falls into a hypnotic trance.

Tia hates having this done and the only way she'll stay still is if my husband rubs her tummy while I cut. It's so funny that there's someone else that does this. What we do.... it's embarrassing to say in front of non-dog people. They just don't get it.

Nico will just lay back and let me do it, no sweat. Both had their feet handled regularly as puppies and I started trimming when they were young so they would be used to it but to this day Tia (almost 9 years) will not have any of it unless her belly is being rubbed. Spoiled girl...

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella loves when I handle her feet. She regularly asks for foot massages, anyway, so I just incorporate foot rubs with the trimming. It's pretty easy. I lucked out in this regard.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Ours are complete brats about it..we dremel theirs and the wrestling match begins.Our OEB boy tries to snap at us and our girl won't sit still..We just get through it as best as we can..But we love the brats

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Effie & Josie just won't sit still. Effie doesn't mind her feet being touched- we got her at 8 weeks & started training immediately. HOWEVER, once the nail clippers come out she's done. We just take her to the groomer- she behaves so well for them!! They clip & dremel her nails for us. It's a lot less stressful for me too, because she has black nails & I'm definitely afraid of quicking her with all that wiggling around :unsure:
Josie has white nails, but she is a squirm-er too. We've had our vet clip them for us until she's up to date on all of her shots (1 more booster to go!), and then she'll be going to the groomer with Effie. She's about 18 months old, so I'm not sure that we'll ever be able to get her comfortable with foot touching. She was being kept outside by her previous owners & already has quite the wild side :lmao:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.