Beef trachea chews

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I have been wondering for a while, if beef trachea chews can be a good safe chew for my dog?
Can I give my 3.5 year old French bulldog dehydrated beef trachea chew?

Has anyone gave their dog a beef trachea chew before?

I heard itā€™s good for the teeth, but I am so nervous to try new chews. I really need to find something my dog likes that is SAFE, without it being made of plastic like nylabones(those we had a horrible experience with in the past) and same with buffalo horns.

He also has allergies too which makes it hard to find a chew he isnā€™t allergic to.

Are those beef trachea chews safe?
For those who have tried them for your dogs, whatā€™s your experience?

And any other chews I could try for my dog? I will definitely try the raw marrow bone @helsonwheels suggested. Do you give the marrow bones inside the house @helsonwheels ??? Are they a mess when they chew them?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have been wondering for a while, if beef trachea chews can be a good safe chew for my dog?
Can I give my 3.5 year old French bulldog dehydrated beef trachea chew?

Has anyone gave their dog a beef trachea chew before?

I heard itā€™s good for the teeth, but I am so nervous to try new chews. I really need to find something my dog likes that is SAFE, without it being made of plastic like nylabones(those we had a horrible experience with in the past) and same with buffalo horns.

He also has allergies too which makes it hard to find a chew he isnā€™t allergic to.

Are those beef trachea chews safe?
For those who have tried them for your dogs, whatā€™s your experience?

And any other chews I could try for my dog? I will definitely try the raw marrow bone @helsonwheels suggested. Do you give the marrow bones inside the house @helsonwheels ??? Are they a mess when they chew them?
I give them in the house. Sadie in her cage, Nyala on her floor bed n Jake on the mat in front of the back door. I give it frozen so less mess.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I give them in the house. Sadie in her cage, Nyala on her floor bed n Jake on the mat in front of the back door. I give it frozen so less mess.

Thank you for your response!

How often do you give them the bones?

I will give it a try for my dogs. Not sure how often to give them though. Glad they are not messy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louieā€™s mom literally just died two nights ago from choking to death on a trachea chew.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Louieā€™s mom literally just died two nights ago from choking to death on a trachea chew.
Oh no! Thatā€™s horrible and sad, I guess any chew has that risk. I will not be giving trachea chews.

How often do you give raw marrow bones?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Any chew has a risk but I personally would stick to ones larger in size that can't fit in their mouth and be swallowed. I only give marrow bones recreational so maybe once a month. Knock on wood but none of mine have dental issues but they do regularly chew on Nylabones/Benebones. As soon as they start getting sharp or pieces breaking off, I throw them away.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Any chew has a risk but I personally would stick to ones larger in size that can't fit in their mouth and be swallowed. I only give marrow bones recreational so maybe once a month. Knock on wood but none of mine have dental issues but they do regularly chew on Nylabones/Benebones. As soon as they start getting sharp or pieces breaking off, I throw them away.

Yes we also get chews that are bigger than their mouth.

I gave them all a raw marrow bone last night for the first time and they all LOVED it, even picky Rusty. And it took them 1.5 hours which is a long time for my other dogs, they get thru a bully stick or yak chew in 10-15 minutes.

All I am looking for is a chew or bone that is recreational but to give them often enough to keep their teeth good, and I also have been brushing Rustyā€™s teeth.

I used to give Nylabones and the dogs would all chew on 1 spot and the bone would get sharp causing the gums to bleed.
Is benebones the same thing as nylabones or are they better??

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes we also get chews that are bigger than their mouth.

I gave them all a raw marrow bone last night for the first time and they all LOVED it, even picky Rusty. And it took them 1.5 hours which is a long time for my other dogs, they get thru a bully stick or yak chew in 10-15 minutes.

All I am looking for is a chew or bone that is recreational but to give them often enough to keep their teeth good, and I also have been brushing Rustyā€™s teeth.

I used to give Nylabones and the dogs would all chew on 1 spot and the bone would get sharp causing the gums to bleed.
Is benebones the same thing as nylabones or are they better??
I don't give the raw marrow bones too frequently because the marrow can be rich but all of my dogs love them and they keep them occupied.

Yup, mine all chew just one spot even though there are other spots for them to chew. That is why as soon as they start getting sharp, I just toss them. Benebone is probably similar to Nylabone. Have you tried buffalo horns?

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I don't give the raw marrow bones too frequently because the marrow can be rich but all of my dogs love them and they keep them occupied.

Yup, mine all chew just one spot even though there are other spots for them to chew. That is why as soon as they start getting sharp, I just toss them. Benebone is probably similar to Nylabone. Have you tried buffalo horns?

Yes I tried buffalo horns and 1 if my dogs is aggressive chewers and the horn split in half and was very sharp, she wouldā€™ve swallowed the piece but thankfully I took it out of her mouth and no more horns. Didnā€™t even take 5 minutes for it to break.

Is the Benebone made of plastic??

We have also tried antlers which also broke pieces off and again got lucky I got it out of her mouth before she could swallow it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I tried buffalo horns and 1 if my dogs is aggressive chewers and the horn split in half and was very sharp, she wouldā€™ve swallowed the piece but thankfully I took it out of her mouth and no more horns. Didnā€™t even take 5 minutes for it to break.

Is the Benebone made of plastic??

We have also tried antlers which also broke pieces off and again got lucky I got it out of her mouth before she could swallow it.
Yes, Benebone is made of plastic. I have some that have been around for quite a long time. These dogs have so many chews which helps them last longer as they are not chewing on the same one over and over and wearing it down.

Have you tried sea kelp? That is supposed to be good for bad breath and teeth.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Yes, Benebone is made of plastic. I have some that have been around for quite a long time. These dogs have so many chews which helps them last longer as they are not chewing on the same one over and over and wearing it down.

Have you tried sea kelp? That is supposed to be good for bad breath and teeth.

Yes he gets Plaque Off Dental Powder daily. He has been on that for 3 months

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I literally was just going to reply, I never give them because they look to be a chocking hazard

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I literally was just going to reply, I never give them because they look to be a chocking hazard
What dental chews do you give your dogs?? And how often do you give them??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What dental chews do you give your dogs?? And how often do you give them??
Raw marrow bone once a week. It sits around for the week as the chew on it, then I trash the old one and give a fresh on Saturday nights. They also have moose paddles that Lambeau loves.

OP
B

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Raw marrow bone once a week. It sits around for the week as the chew on it, then I trash the old one and give a fresh on Saturday nights. They also have moose paddles that Lambeau loves.

Is a moose paddle a antler or is it different??

Is there any other dental Toys I can give that will clean his teeth?

We donā€™t give the dogs antlers or horns or nylabones cause we had bad experience with those in the past with the dogs.

But any other chews you know of that will help clean their teeth? I started giving them marrow bones last week and they LOVED it! I will continue to give them to the dogs. Once they are done getting out the marrow and the bone is clean I throw it away cause I though thatā€™s what we were supposed to do.

Members online

No members online now.