blueeyedfrankie

Jun 24, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Our one-year-old EB (Frankie) is crated at night and during the day if no one is home with him. We have another dog that is also crated during the same time periods, but in a separate crate across the room. They can see each other, but pretty much ignore each other once crated. Our bully will happily go into his crate before bed, but between 4 and 5am, will start barking. Loudly. Non-stop. For literally hours if we don't let him out. We have tried letting him out to eat and/or go out to potty, but if we try to put him back in and go back to bed, he will resume barking in his crate. This makes our other dog howl and then the whole household is awake. Frankie will also stand in front of me while I am sitting on the couch and bark. We will make sure he has food, water, been outside, has a toy, etc. but he won't stop. If I reach out to pet him, he snarls and jumps back initially. I can put my fingers in his mouth and he won't bite, so I know he's not being aggressive. We have tried praising the quiet moments, distraction with toys, even the ultrasonic devices to deter the barking, but none of it works. Has anyone else had these issues? We love him dearly, but lack of sleep and not being able to relax in the evenings is wearing on us all!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Our one-year-old EB (Frankie) is crated at night and during the day if no one is home with him. We have another dog that is also crated during the same time periods, but in a separate crate across the room. They can see each other, but pretty much ignore each other once crated. Our bully will happily go into his crate before bed, but between 4 and 5am, will start barking. Loudly. Non-stop. For literally hours if we don't let him out. We have tried letting him out to eat and/or go out to potty, but if we try to put him back in and go back to bed, he will resume barking in his crate. This makes our other dog howl and then the whole household is awake. Frankie will also stand in front of me while I am sitting on the couch and bark. We will make sure he has food, water, been outside, has a toy, etc. but he won't stop. If I reach out to pet him, he snarls and jumps back initially. I can put my fingers in his mouth and he won't bite, so I know he's not being aggressive. We have tried praising the quiet moments, distraction with toys, even the ultrasonic devices to deter the barking, but none of it works. Has anyone else had these issues? We love him dearly, but lack of sleep and not being able to relax in the evenings is wearing on us all!

He needs to burn energy. You tried walking him at night like later in the evening? You tried putting both cages together? My white face Jake has anxiety n can get out of hand at times. One thing that helps him is burn his energy n CBC oil which he gets at night. Calms his system n great health benefits.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yup, sounds like he has energy to burn. Like suggested, what about putting the crates next to each other so he’s not “alone.” Last year I kicked Louie out of my bed because Little Miss Missy (Ella) decided she didn’t want to be downstairs alone. Now they both sleep together on the couch every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
He may be waking up with approaching daylight. You might first try covering his crate at night. If that doesn't work, then you can get up, go to his crate and give him a few squirts of water from a spray bottle and yell, "be quiet"! That has always worked with our rescues and it only takes a few repetitions for them to get the idea.
If that doesn't work then you'll have to do the aforementioned in hopes that the extra workout makes him tired enough to sleep through YOUR night.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed.... energy release, short walks before bed might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.