Bacon scared me today...

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I did a bit of searching, and see that it isn't uncommon for EB's to choke. Bacon had already eaten, but must have either tried to throw up, or had too much phlegm or something. He basically started choking, went on his side, legs sticking straight out, and peed the floor. I gave him some good whacks on the back, and he finally got a good breath in and got whatever was stuck out. The vet said he has an extremely narrow trachea, so I don't know if that makes it worse. He's choked like this a few times before, where he's passed out for a second from lack of oxygen. Any words of wisdom?? Thanks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
No words of wisdom but very scary. Louie choked on his dinner one time and peed and he had coughed up his food on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how scary that was for you and Bacon... I tagged someone who can advise.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Bulldogs tend to gulp food instead of chewing. It's not uncommon for the gulped kibble to block the airway in rare instances. Our Pippy keeled over twice from this before we figured out it was the food cutting off her airway. We thought she was having seizures until we put 2 and 2 together, noting that the only time she did this was when she was eating. About 18 months ago we switched her to a slow feed bowl to slow her down a little and that has worked well. Before we found a suitable bowl we just spread her food out on a baking pan/cookie sheet. That proved to be a little messy but still worked by making her chase the food around and not be able to gulp it by the handful. She had to wok at it.

The one we have is similar to this:

71quiPvQ+-L._SX425_.jpg

Avoid the Stainless one with the 3 pegs. They have to be regularly disassembled and cleaned...way too much trouble.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great advice from oscarmayer! This was my thought,too. Until you get the bowl-just dole out a little at a time.

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Are you sure he choked? From description it could be also an epileptic seizure...

I'm pretty sure. He was gagging before hand. I have started souping his food with water. We already feed a mix of dry kibble and soft food, so this makes is a little softer. I just have to keep an eye on him, that's for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm pretty sure. He was gagging before hand. I have started souping his food with water. We already feed a mix of dry kibble and soft food, so this makes is a little softer. I just have to keep an eye on him, that's for sure.

How terrifying! I hope this works along with the slow feed bowl. please keep us posted

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Aww, SO glad he's okay!!! That must've been so scary!

beanie807

Dec 4, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
This happened to my Boomer I went in his mouth and shoved my hand to get whatever it was he came too but holy is that scary!

Members online

No members online now.