At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Hi,
I have a one year old Olde English Bulldog. Over the past 8 months, we have been trying to find the best food for her with no luck. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to resolve her bowel issues is to make her home cooked food. But I have no idea how to do it or where to start. She's been on several different brands of dog food from limited ingredient to "natural". I've tried her with raw food and wet food and everything gives her stomach the runs except for cooked rice and chicken with vegetables. For the short time I was feeding her this, she had the perfect poops. But I knew it couldn't last forever and it is not a balanced diet so we went back to dry food. Tried a different brand after that and still no luck. She is currently on Wellness Core Six (Limited Ingredient) things were okay at first but now she's back to big smelly poop and pooping very often. It's just too soft for my liking. Other than this, she is in perfect health. Vet is very pleased with her growth and progress. I should also add that her vet isn't very helpful when it comes to diet because they are always pushing for garbage food and get concerned when I feed anything else.

So, my main question is how do I make a balanced home cooked meal for her? Or is there something else I could feed her?

Thank you in advance!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi and welcome to such a great place ...you will get some good input soon but just wanted to say hi, and give us a picture :) Just cause we love pictures :)

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
I'm not sure if the attachment worked but if it did, this is a picture I took when we went biking a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• ac01e6d1-6675-400a-903b-4e1536ebfb1a.jpg
    ac01e6d1-6675-400a-903b-4e1536ebfb1a.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 387

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome! She sure looks like a happy gal! You can try adding some canned pumpkin(pure-not pie mix) to her food. There are several "Home cookers" here, and they will give you good advice! I do not home cook,myself.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to your girl! She's pretty! I have no experience of home cooking for dogs but hopefully the experts will come to your rescue soon.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm not sure if the attachment worked but if it did, this is a picture I took when we went biking a few weeks ago.

Beautiful OEB! WELCOME!!

Since you’re in Canada and if it’s kibbles you want to stick with, get Single protein bags Acana. Start with Duck as it’s easier to digest. Rotation is a key to monitor allergies IF any. Do add raw organs to each meal as a topper like 1/2 a cup not packed. Liver, heart, green smelly tripe at your pet store like pet value.

This thread we had a discussion on food..

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...h/61617-harvey-head-tremors-3.html#post770555

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

BTW where in Canada are you???

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Have to ask. Do you run your dog alongside a bike?

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :)

I am located in Ontario. She was on Acana for a while and had really runny poop with it. We also tried duck and duck exclusively gave her explosive diarrhea. I would like to move away from dry food completely because with all the brands we've been trying, nothing has been helping her and only cooked food has agreed with her digestive system. So I'd like to learn how to balance a cooked meal.

Have to ask. Do you run your dog alongside a bike?
She walks beside me, yes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

I am located in Ontario. She was on Acana for a while and had really runny poop with it. We also tried duck and duck exclusively gave her explosive diarrhea. I would like to move away from dry food completely because with all the brands we've been trying, nothing has been helping her and only cooked food has agreed with her digestive system. So I'd like to learn how to balance a cooked meal.

You must bike really, really slow!!!! Watch for overheating now that summer is coming, it can happen very quickly.

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
I know. We've been training for a while. I went slowly at first but she has caught on nicely and I can now ride normal speed. I don't plan on doing this in the summer unless the weather is cool and we're never out for more than half an hour at most if the weather is nice.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Try a raw diet. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] will tell you what’s in your area as they’re from Ontario too.

But if you want cooked meals follow these links below. When I first started Nyala on HC, I would buy a big turkey, boiling it over 8 hrs. Then ziploc meal portions. Add carrots, bit of peas, sweet potato but top the bag with the broth. Or whatever you’re having for supper add an extra portion for your dog. Use proper fat if you’re cooking ground meat like avocado oil. Add some of your veggies. But do checkout the links it will give you a better ideas

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/home_prepared/how-to-make-your-own-dog-food/

https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-nutrition/home-cooked-dog-food-diets/

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
She doesn't do well on raw either. I tried it as well.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out! :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Another question or two. You say you have tried many foods, how often have you switched? Did you transition slowly? I know how frustrating finding the right food can be, been there!

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Yes, I do. I transition for 1 - 2 weeks depending on her poops and if she's passing a lot of gas and just her general response to the food. Then, she will stay on that one food for at least a month, sometimes a bit more. But if she's having a really hard time with it, we take her off of it and go back to rice, chicken and cooked vegetables.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
We were talking about home cooking just yesterday and today in this thread http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/61617-harvey-head-tremors-2.html
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] just started using a kibble made in Toronto that looks good called Open Farm - she's trying the ancient grains but they also have cooked food, but that'll probably be too pricey. https://openfarmpet.com/collections/dog-food . Carna4 is also a very good quality Canadian brand.
Check out this link for other Canadian brands
https://www.canadianpetconnection.ca/top-twenty-dog-foods-canada-2020/

I had my dog on a dehydrated raw food from Petsmart called EasyRaw, and I've also tried Canisource Grandcru dehydrated raw kibble from Global Pet Foods, but my dog does better on frozen raw. I order the frozen raw online from bigcountryraw or back2raw and get that delivered for free.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.