Any recommendations on a ramp or stairs?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Tebow, now 7.5 months, weighed 46.8 lbs today. No wonder it's become a struggle to lift him into the back of the SUV! (I should rename him "Butterball".) I almost dropped him today trying to lift him up. I've read reviews on some foldable ramps with the harsh sandpaper on the ramp injuring paws. The folding PetSafe stairs got pretty good reviews though some dogs are scared of them as major complaint. The bumper of the SUV is 25" up and it appears that when folded, the PetSafe stairs might fit next to his crate in the back. I would really appreciate any recommendations. (I've already started lifting weights and doing pushups just in case...)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We tried several and none worked for us... either did fit the situation or they were afraid and would not use it.

Not telling you to do this, but I ended up just buying a minivan that they can jump in and out on their own :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We have had 2 ramps(gave one to someone in need and still have the other) and I cannot imagine the textured surface causing more harm to the pads than walking on a concrete sidewalk. That said, the ramp is long even when not extended and may not be practical. But, if it fits, it may be the best course of action.

I have built several sets of steps for our guys over the years and while they all worked well, some dogs had to get used to them.

We do have one dog that simply refuses to walk the ramp.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
We tried several and none worked for us... either did fit the situation or they were afraid and would not use it.

Not telling you to do this, but I ended up just buying a minivan that they can jump in and out on their own :)
LOL! I just bought a new SUV because I couldn't fit the crate and all the travel gear in my 20 yr old CRV. The back seats didn't fold down all the way.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
We have had 2 ramps(gave one to someone in need and still have the other) and I cannot imagine the textured surface causing more harm to the pads than walking on a concrete sidewalk. That said, the ramp is long even when not extended and may not be practical. But, if it fits, it may be the best course of action.

I have built several sets of steps for our guys over the years and while they all worked well, some dogs had to get used to them.

We do have one dog that simply refuses to walk the ramp.
Do you know the brand of the ramp that you have? How long is it when folded? If the treads are too rough, I can always remove them and put something down that still allows grip and traction.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I read the reviews and it seems the most common complaint is the sandpaper surface. I was hoping to find one the would collapse down to a length to put it in my Forester without having to put down the back seats. The video shows it stowing nicely but the seats were down. In the meantime, I've started lifting dumbells again and doing squats, which I should have kept up with months ago...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...started lifting dumbells again and doing squats, which I should have kept up with months ago...
This is a good idea given he's on his way to being a 60# boy!

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Wow! he is already over Millie’s weight! Good boy, Tebow!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
My wife found some steps online I think from Camping World. There are pet steps at Home Depot as well. https://www.homedepot.com/s/pet trex dog steps?NCNI-5
I looked at the Camping World ramps. Too heavy for me to lift. I have tried the Pet Gear steps with Porkchop (RIP) but he wouldn't use it, even when baited with steak. The steps had a slight slant and the carpet was slick and he slipped.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Wow! he is already over Millie’s weight! Good boy, Tebow!
Which I don't think is really healthy at his young age. He doesn't look fat but geez, he gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks between 2 vet appointments. I have stopped giving him the little chunks of hamburger and cottage cheese, opting not to feed "fat balls" that the one judge recommended. If the judges say he's 'thin', well, so be it. I don't want to compromise his health. But dang, it's so awkward trying to lift him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@paw7004 There are many different types of folding steps and ramps on Amazon. Maybe you can find something there. Just a suggestion!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
@paw7004 There are many different types of folding steps and ramps on Amazon. Maybe you can find something there. Just a suggestion!
Alas, I have looked at many. I looked at the 1- & 2-star reviews first to get an idea of any faults.

Members online

No members online now.