Anal Glands

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
this is kind of strange. when i give her sauerkraut her butt does not smell but she scoots. when i dont give her sauerkraut her but smells terrible but she does not scoot.

When they scoot that is them telling you the glands are swollen and sore from being full and when they smell bad and she doesnā€™t scoot the glands could just be leaking too much.

Have you tried 1/2 the amount of sauerkraut, maybe that will make it not leak but maybe empty so she doesnā€™t scoot??

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
we did zignature for a while and her itching did get better but then i found vital essentials freeze dried raw which is even better.
Also fresh raw from the freezer to thaw is even better cause the moisture also helps and itā€™s fresher, just a thoughtšŸ™‚

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I tried doing the fresh raw but it made me gag, and I was sick of cleaning her face and paws all the time.

I think maybe I was being too generous with the tablespoons of sauerkraut. Iā€™m going to measure better. Her butt still smells though. I donā€™t get it cause before I gave her kraut, her poo was very hard but she was still leaking and smelling awful. I thought hard poo would help express the glands?

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I tried doing the fresh raw but it made me gag, and I was sick of cleaning her face and paws all the time.

I think maybe I was being too generous with the tablespoons of sauerkraut. Iā€™m going to measure better. Her butt still smells though. I donā€™t get it cause before I gave her kraut, her poo was very hard but she was still leaking and smelling awful. I thought hard poo would help express the glands?

I only clean my dogs face to keep his wrinkles clean after he eats.

Yes to empty the glands properly, they need hard and wide poops, cause thatā€™s what forces those glands to empty.

But also keeping inflammation down is also helpful cause if there is lots of inflammation in the body he glands will swell up and not empty and then leak.

What about giving her a frozen raw sardine? Cause that gives a little more bone, or a chicken foot?

The frozen raw sardines for the omega 3 and inflammation and also has bone in it to help empty the glands, I know someone that said that helps.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I only clean my dogs face to keep his wrinkles clean after he eats.

Yes to empty the glands properly, they need hard and wide poops, cause thatā€™s what forces those glands to empty.

But also keeping inflammation down is also helpful cause if there is lots of inflammation in the body he glands will swell up and not empty and then leak.

What about giving her a frozen raw sardine? Cause that gives a little more bone, or a chicken foot?

The frozen raw sardines for the omega 3 and inflammation and also has bone in it to help empty the glands, I know someone that said that helps.
she is allergic to chicken so most likely is allergic to the feet. i will give it a try though. i will also try the sardines. thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Have you it anyone ever manually expressed her glands? I have no idea if this is true or not, but many years ago I heard that once you have the glands expressed manually, you will always need to. Again, I donā€™t know if there is any truth to that.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
she is allergic to chicken so most likely is allergic to the feet. i will give it a try though. i will also try the sardines. thanks!
Turkey necks and duck feet are good alternatives to chicken bones.

Sardines are good.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
some people think once they manually express the dogs glands, it can make them rely on needing it done manually every time.

However, my dogs glands were leaking and needing to be expressed manually by the vet and then I started doing it daily cause when they leaked I would express them, but it turns out that the glands do NOT rely on us to manually express them, but my dogs allergies were causing some inflammation and causing the issue and when I improved his allergies, and also switched him to raw and his poops are harder, no anal gland issues since.

If they leak on the rare occasions(maybe 1 day per month if that), I know either inflammation or allergies. But the next day he doesnā€™t leak once he expresses them, omega 3 really help and so do the probiotics and the raw diet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you it anyone ever manually expressed her glands? I have no idea if this is true or not, but many years ago I heard that once you have the glands expressed manually, you will always need to. Again, I donā€™t know if there is any truth to that.
Yes, this happen a few bulldogs on her a few years back. The gland stopped functioning naturally and they had to take the pup to vet/groomer once a month for expression. As with everything, it might not happen to all, but it is something to be aware of

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
yes, I want to avoid having to manually express her glands. not sure what im doing wrong. when her poo is hard, her butt smells so bad and she leaks. But when her poo is softened a bit, she scoots on the floor.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, I want to avoid having to manually express her glands. not sure what im doing wrong. when her poo is hard, her butt smells so bad and she leaks. But when her poo is softened a bit, she scoots on the floor.
hmm... so bizarre

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.