Anal Glands

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
My bully's butt smells like metal and fish and her glands leak. Her tail pocket is clean. She is on a freeze-dried raw diet. I have tried Glandex powder and Fera probiotic. She cannot have pumpkin cause she is allergic to it. She cannot have starch nor beef, chicken, pork nor daiy. I have also tried sauerkraut and goat milk to no avail. Her poo is firm. When she is not on any probiotic it is even worse. Any other suggestions on how to deal with her smelly butt and leaking anal glands? also she has been on the Fera probiotic for 4 weeks, should i give it more time?

Glandex:

Fera probiotic:

Last edited:

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Have you tried manually expressing them? How long does it stay away when you do so?

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I do not want to have to express her glands manually. I want to try and figure out a way to fix it via her diet.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My bully's butt smells like metal and fish and her glands leak. Her tail pocket is clean. She is on a freeze-dried raw diet. I have tried Glandex powder and Fera probiotic. She cannot have pumpkin cause she is allergic to it. She cannot have starch nor beef, chicken, pork nor daiy. I have also tried sauerkraut and goat milk to no avail. Her poo is firm. When she is not on any probiotic it is even worse. Any other suggestions on how to deal with her smelly butt and leaking anal glands? also she has been on the Fera probiotic for 4 weeks, should i give it more time?

Glandex:

Fera probiotic:

My dog also had the same issue with the glands leaking, i give him Adored Beast Gut soothe probiotic or the basic probiotic called Love Bugs, that definitely helps, no ingredients in there to cause allergies.

I feed him a raw diet(not freeze dried), and the bone in it also helps the glands empty properly.

Also you can give psyllium husk powder to help her express them on her own.

My dog glands were leaking every day and I literally had to manually express them at home myself(it is $50 at the vet every time they do it which wasnā€™t even 5 minutes!), and since the probiotic and raw food with the bone in it, no issues since(touch wood), he hasnā€™t had a issue for 4 months, he expresses them himself like they are supposed to when they poop.
Itā€™s almost rare will he leak, there has only been 2 times that they leaked since the diet change and probiotic

Also you can add some broccoli too if she isnā€™t allergic to it.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I tried the husk and it didnt seem to work. How much time should I give it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thereā€™s no limited time. Can be weeks, months.

I know someone that for yrs not one doctor could figure out why that person kept going to the bathroom #2 with full of blood each time. He did the cameras, special diet, remove this n that, pills here n there till one day I told him to go see another doctor who I was working with his wife. You know what he prescribed? Husk n yogurt. He went to a naturopath n she told himā€¦.If your plumbing isnā€™t working, your whole body wontā€ People think taking fiber will induce more #2 but truly doesnā€™t if you have a plumbing issue. Itā€™s a bit like the pumpkin purĆ©e we give to our dogs. Stops liquid stools. All this to say, try it.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet

I would try it for at least 1 month to see if it helps, but also if her allergies are bad the glands will leak even more.

There is nothing that will cure that overnight, so itā€™s really trial and error and keeping inflammation minimal and the allergies under control.

Keep us updated

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would try it for at least 1 month to see if it helps, but also if her allergies are bad the glands will leak even more.

There is nothing that will cure that overnight, so itā€™s really trial and error and keeping inflammation minimal and the allergies under control.

Keep us updated
Yes trial and error is basically what works. You end up falling onto a product that works for your dog n not others. But if you donā€™t try youā€™ll never know šŸ‘

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How much husk do you give? For the past couple of months or so, Buster has had leaky glands. He never had a problem before. The vet has expressed them twice in the last 10 days and the first time one was kinda full but he is still leaking and really smelly. I give him carrots and broccoli with his food and he also has Kefir every day. His poo's are firm and we haven't changed his food.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
How much husk do you give? For the past couple of months or so, Buster has had leaky glands. He never had a problem before. The vet has expressed them twice in the last 10 days and the first time one was kinda full but he is still leaking and really smelly. I give him carrots and broccoli with his food and he also has Kefir every day. His poo's are firm and we haven't changed his food.

What food do you feed him??

My 22 lb dog was getting 250mg once or twice a day(my vet told me the dosage) so you can adjust it for the weight if your dog.

Do you give Probiotics?

Bone broth is also good.

Does he have any allergies??

My dog had the exact same issue, I ended up having to manually express it daily cause the $50 a day at the vet for only the glands express without seeing the vet is gonna add up fast if i took him in daily.

If there is any inflammation or from allergies, the glands leak even more and donā€™t express properly cause they are swollen, my dog was leaking on me or the couch daily, thatā€™s when he had lots of inflammation from allergies.

If you get to the bottom of allergies and the inflammation and try probiotics and the husk wait and see if they stop leaking, but itā€™s trial and error, nothing works overnight, it takes it time.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What food do you feed him??

My 22 lb dog was getting 250mg once or twice a day(my vet told me the dosage) so you can adjust it for the weight if your dog.

Do you give Probiotics?

Bone broth is also good.

Does he have any allergies??

My dog had the exact same issue, I ended up having to manually express it daily cause the $50 a day at the vet for only the glands express without seeing the vet is gonna add up fast if i took him in daily.

If there is any inflammation or from allergies, the glands leak even more and donā€™t express properly cause they are swollen, my dog was leaking on me or the couch daily, thatā€™s when he had lots of inflammation from allergies.

If you get to the bottom of allergies and the inflammation and try probiotics and the husk wait and see if they stop leaking, but itā€™s trial and error, nothing works overnight, it takes it time.
No allergies that I am aware of. I give him Quercetin just in case! He has Kefir daily.
He is on Zignature Turkey and has been for quite a while. Before that it was Zignature Duck.
I will definitely try the Husk. He is about 65 lbs so about 750 mgs a day?

Thanks

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
No allergies that I am aware of. I give him Quercetin just in case! He has Kefir daily.
He is on Zignature Turkey and has been for quite a while. Before that it was Zignature Duck.
I will definitely try the Husk. He is about 65 lbs so about 750 mgs a day?

Thanks

Ok, itā€™s still good to rotate proteins in the zignature food, I know they have a goat formula and a trout and salmon, so you can rotate thru those as well to prevent him from becoming allergic to the turkey formula.

Yes that dosages should be good, I would split that into 2 meals instead of all of that amount in 1 time/meal.

Keep us updated

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
we did zignature for a while and her itching did get better but then i found vital essentials freeze dried raw which is even better.

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
this is kind of strange. when i give her sauerkraut her butt does not smell but she scoots. when i dont give her sauerkraut her but smells terrible but she does not scoot.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
we did zignature for a while and her itching did get better but then i found vital essentials freeze dried raw which is even better.

Yes definitely raw is best and thatā€™s also very helpful for the glands to empty properly cause the bone content helps them empty naturally and also they will have minimal inflammation which also is important.

Members online

No members online now.