Anal Glands

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I feed my dog Vital Essentials freeze dried raw salmon. She scoots alot on the floor. Her butt smells like fish and metal and sometimes she leaks on the bed and it smell soo bad.

I tried giving her Boot The Scoot chews but she is really allergic to the ingredients. She is allergic to anything high in starch or carbs. She can't have pumpkin either. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I guess the issue here is that her stool isnt hard enough to express the glands, right?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, they are usually able to express her glands naturally.

Sometimes feeding too much can cause softer stools. Or you might want to try a different brand or protein to see if that makes a difference.

Dr. Harvey’s has some different blends of green veggies you can potentially try to add in as well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter has a horrible anal gland issue, so I just have the vet come on the regular. I have tried those different chews, but nothing has made a real difference. He had a horrible infection years ago, and now he just growls funny when they're full.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Stool that smells like what she's eating(fish) usually means that what she's eating is not being fully digested...too much food. Feeding too much can cause loose stools. Loose stools can cause anal gland issues.
For several days, cut back of the quantity you feed by at least 25% and observe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Chip… try cutting back on food to hopefully firm up her poo

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
her poo is really hard though.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Feel her ribs. If she has one big rib she is being fed too much. if you can feel each rib she is at her optimal weight. adjust her feeding until you can feel that she has ribs,

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
Her poo is very hard so there is not issue with firmness.
the groomer was unable to express her glands cause her but is soo jiggly and she has a lot of fat on her butt.
the vet wont see her until mid april. if her poo is hard and firm, why arent her glands being self expressed?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
why arent her glands being self expressed?
That's a question best left to a Vet that can give her a hands-on physical exam. Please report back what Vet finds, if anything.

Capone's Dad

Dec 24, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus, Peaches and Poppy. Capone watching from above on the rainbow bridge.
We have three English Bulldogs - Gus (5 years) , Peaches (5 years) and Poppy (1.5 years). Peach has had digestive issues for years. Either constipation or explosive pooh - No in-between. We moved her on to a Probiotic food and supplements and it has made a world of difference for her. My wife is no longer awaken in the middle of the night by accidents and I don't have to watch her struggle every time I take her out. It may be worth testing probiotics.

We give them Vital Essentials Salmon very rarely and only as a really special treat. I hope you find solutions. I know how difficult it is.

Members online

No members online now.