General Question Alopecia: Bald After a Year

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi guys!!

Has anyoneā€™s dog had flank alopecia for over a year? My dog started to get it last summer. It was getting better in November 2018, then got worse inā€™s December. He still has the one spot and is now developing it on the other side, back, and near his shoulder.

I know itā€™s not serious, the vet doesnā€™t seem concerned either. But Iā€™m curious if itā€™ll grow back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau has it... I used vitamin D, which help some. Others have had success with fish oil or melatonin.

However, the thing that cure it for Lambeau was switching to raw feeding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Lambeau has it... I used vitamin D, which help some. Others have had success with fish oil or melatonin.

However, the thing that cure it for Lambeau was switching to raw feeding

Heā€™s been on raw since he was a pup! He doesnā€™t get fish oil, but eats smelts/sardines/mackerel often.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Heā€™s been on raw since he was a pup! He doesnā€™t get fish oil, but eats smelts/sardines/mackerel often.

Try the vitamin D

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has had it for over a year now and is getting more on his back. It has come and gone before so I am hoping it will again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi guys!!

Has anyoneā€™s dog had flank alopecia for over a year? My dog started to get it last summer. It was getting better in November 2018, then got worse inā€™s December. He still has the one spot and is now developing it on the other side, back, and near his shoulder.
I know itā€™s not serious, the vet doesnā€™t seem concerned either. But Iā€™m curious if itā€™ll grow back?

Have you tried EVOO? Softens the skin or essential oils. Hang on let me get the recipe.....

C8F9E072-9A55-4FE4-A915-87748984E346.jpeg

What you need

Ā½ cup jojoba oil
Ā½ cup grapeseed oil
20 drops rosemary oil
30 drops lavender oil
16 drops thyme oil
30 drops cedarwood oil
Small funnel
Amber bottle for storage
Glass dropper for application

Directions

Using the small funnel, transfer Ā½ cup of jojoba oil and Ā½ cup of grapeseed oil into an amber glass bottle.
Next, carefully add the essential oils, drop by drop.
Once youā€™ve added all the drops, close the bottle and shake it gently to mix up all the oils together.
Your Powerful Daily Scalp Massage Blend is ready!

You need to massage a good 4 minutes. Then add like a towel or something that will traps heat which will enable the oils to penetrate deeper into the hair follicles. On a human you would rinse your hair after 2hrs but on a dog you can simply leave it on. You will see improvements within 1 month of doing this ā€œdailyā€. This will take months to grow back. Consistency is key word.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Have you tried EVOO? Softens the skin or essential oils. Hang on let me get the recipe.....

View attachment 116478

What you need

Ā½ cup jojoba oil
Ā½ cup grapeseed oil
20 drops rosemary oil
30 drops lavender oil
16 drops thyme oil
30 drops cedarwood oil
Small funnel
Amber bottle for storage
Glass dropper for application

Directions

Using the small funnel, transfer Ā½ cup of jojoba oil and Ā½ cup of grapeseed oil into an amber glass bottle.
Next, carefully add the essential oils, drop by drop.
Once youā€™ve added all the drops, close the bottle and shake it gently to mix up all the oils together.
Your Powerful Daily Scalp Massage Blend is ready!

You need to massage a good 4 minutes. Then add like a towel or something that will traps heat which will enable the oils to penetrate deeper into the hair follicles. On a human you would rinse your hair after 2hrs but on a dog you can simply leave it on. You will see improvements within 1 month of doing this ā€œdailyā€. This will take months to grow back. Consistency is key word.

Thank you!!! Will it be as effective without a towel? Thereā€™s no chance heā€™ll let me wrap anything around his whole body. Also, do I only put it on the bald spots?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you!!! Will it be as effective without a towel? Thereā€™s no chance heā€™ll let me wrap anything around his whole body. Also, do I only put it on the bald spots?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he has a harness put like washcloth size towel under the harness or does he sleep with you if so put a blanket on him. Heat helps a lot why it would help a lot more. And....you can put it on bald spots. Essential oils n carrier oils are expensive so keep your money as youā€™ll be doing a massage daily. Oh and youā€™ll get stronger nails :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter has suffered w/this for years... this year has been the absolute WORST!!! He is completely bald on both sides, the hair does grow back but it changes in color. I have tried everything except for the raw feeding... and that is next on the list.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
My Walter has suffered w/this for years... this year has been the absolute WORST!!! He is completely bald on both sides, the hair does grow back but it changes in color. I have tried everything except for the raw feeding... and that is next on the list.

YES! Do raw, I started 7 years ago with my first boy and I havenā€™t looked back.

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
YES! Do raw, I started 7 years ago with my first boy and I havenā€™t looked back.

What brand of raw food do you use. My guy is 8 and just started getting alopecia. Never had it before and has all the tests. Tried omega and it didnt seem to work

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What brand of raw food do you use. My guy is 8 and just started getting alopecia. Never had it before and has all the tests. Tried omega and it didnt seem to work
I have used a few national brandsā€¦. Stella and Chewy, Primal, and Vital Essentials, all worked well, but I found a local sourced supplier that I know buy form. You can also search your area for a farmer or a co-op

Most Reactions