Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
ok, so Hank has done the patchwork hair each year and we always get it under control (except one year we went for the cytopoint and it was a life saver/scarry thing for this mama) Anyway, this year, wam bam he was diving into every leafy thing AND laying in the sun i 'think' he burnt his bare tail pocket and other part :unsure: and has gone on an itch fest. So, yesterday,about 3 days ago i broke down and used the nustock on his back (wonderful but it really offends my smell meater!!! ) and that seems to have done the trick for his back so put some on tail and the itch is gone!!! ok soooooooooooooooooo, yesterday, b4 the itch stopped, i finally broke down and called to have him get the *shot* today and now, i just dont know if i should follow through with the shot. I cant bare to see him suffer as he has so far this month but could it be possible that the *season* is ending so he can be comfortable w/o the shot. or,,, should i just save him as this may just be temporary... oh the trials of living with a bulldog. Never b4 have i had a dog that looked so tough and was actually such a woosie babie boy... Love him!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Idk what to tell you as I never had any dogs with allergies. As you know I do a lot of diffusing, raw diet even chicken, no carpets in the house... maybe cause itā€™s so damm cold in Alberta it kills everything:). I do spray my dogs with a mixture of oil and oils will seep into the body. Basically all oils are anti inflammatory. They do eat a lot of good probiotics from food source. Iā€™m definitely not changing anything as itā€™s working.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ok, so Hank has done the patchwork hair each year and we always get it under control (except one year we went for the cytopoint and it was a life saver/scarry thing for this mama) Anyway, this year, wam bam he was diving into every leafy thing AND laying in the sun i 'think' he burnt his bare tail pocket and other part :unsure: and has gone on an itch fest. So, yesterday,about 3 days ago i broke down and used the nustock on his back (wonderful but it really offends my smell meater!!! ) and that seems to have done the trick for his back so put some on tail and the itch is gone!!! ok soooooooooooooooooo, yesterday, b4 the itch stopped, i finally broke down and called to have him get the *shot* today and now, i just dont know if i should follow through with the shot. I cant bare to see him suffer as he has so far this month but could it be possible that the *season* is ending so he can be comfortable w/o the shot. or,,, should i just save him as this may just be temporary... oh the trials of living with a bulldog. Never b4 have i had a dog that looked so tough and was actually such a woosie babie boy... Love him!!

we use Cytopoint.... Lambeau gets one every eight weeks without issue. It relieves all his allergies issues

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
First step would be to try cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10mg twice daily , wiping down paws and underbelly after being outside. If still itchy go for the Cytopoint shot, it's a lot safer than Apoquel or prednisone.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Idk what to tell you as I never had any dogs with allergies. As you know I do a lot of diffusing, raw diet even chicken, no carpets in the house... maybe cause itā€™s so damm cold in Alberta it kills everything:). I do spray my dogs with a mixture of oil and oils will seep into the body. Basically all oils are anti inflammatory. They do eat a lot of good probiotics from food source. Iā€™m definitely not changing anything as itā€™s working.

Probiotics are good, but I don't think essential oils will help with Hankster's allergies.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

yep.... i do all the same :( and im not sure if it was lack of our "norm" as in walking and living life stuff, or what, but he had a real rough week especially... and would NOT stay out of bushes. Mabie it was bites, i dunno, but spreading coconut and aloe and a drop of lavender was sort of working,,,, then the nuStock i think blew the rest away. DANG i sure felt bad though... Was out of the green trype for 1 1/2 months so mabie he was just thrown but he was driving me nuts ,, and then today he stop! I willl keep an eye and hope that he's done!! Anyway,,,, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION],,, i sure appreciate that as well because it seems to have done wonders for bully sufferers of allergies. (we did do it one season and i can attest to it as well) soooooooo We shall see if needed, i wont be afraid ;) Thanks ladies :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
yep.... i do all the same :( and im not sure if it was lack of our "norm" as in walking and living life stuff, or what, but he had a real rough week especially... and would NOT stay out of bushes. Mabie it was bites, i dunno, but spreading coconut and aloe and a drop of lavender was sort of working,,,, then the nuStock i think blew the rest away. DANG i sure felt bad though... Was out of the green trype for 1 1/2 months so mabie he was just thrown but he was driving me nuts ,, and then today he stop! I willl keep an eye and hope that he's done!! Anyway,,,, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION],,, i sure appreciate that as well because it seems to have done wonders for bully sufferers of allergies. (we did do it one season and i can attest to it as well) soooooooo We shall see if needed, i wont be afraid ;) Thanks ladies :)

Bed time reading

https://dogsfirst.ie/health-issues/dog-allergies-in-10-mins/

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Cytopoint is for environmental allergies which is what it sounds like you might be dealing with. Jax is allergic to everything green outside and he gets Cytopoint every 10 weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
First step would be to try cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10mg twice daily , wiping down paws and underbelly after being outside. If still itchy go for the Cytopoint shot, it's a lot safer than Apoquel or prednisone.

Thank you DollysOwner and Cbrugs,, i always appreciate your input as well. I know the beginning little patches were,,, well seasonal, but then he went diving into every green thing so dont know what was his issue, but then,,,,,,,,, he also went sun crazy and his tail i think got burnt, then he rub it on the cement step which made him bleed, and not want pocket to be cleaned and danged if he just had me for a loop!!!! i gave him Zyrtec for two days (just eve and it seemed to last through the day) and mabie thats what helped. I just knew he had to stop itching or he and i were going to go crazy. Or,,,,,, mabie it was me getting up b4 him and geting him all oiled and cleaned up (I got that jax and dazy shampoo and cream)... but what ever, he seems comfortable still today.. Thanks you guys, im such a pill/drug phobic and you always make me realize that just because i am,,,, he doesnt have to be :) I just want him comfortable............... Will do what i need to do if this continues :) Thanks :) :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank you DollysOwner and Cbrugs,, i always appreciate your input as well. I know the beginning little patches were,,, well seasonal, but then he went diving into every green thing so dont know what was his issue, but then,,,,,,,,, he also went sun crazy and his tail i think got burnt, then he rub it on the cement step which made him bleed, and not want pocket to be cleaned and danged if he just had me for a loop!!!! i gave him Zyrtec for two days (just eve and it seemed to last through the day) and mabie thats what helped. I just knew he had to stop itching or he and i were going to go crazy. Or,,,,,, mabie it was me getting up b4 him and geting him all oiled and cleaned up (I got that jax and dazy shampoo and cream)... but what ever, he seems comfortable still today.. Thanks you guys, im such a pill/drug phobic and you always make me realize that just because i am,,,, he doesnt have to be :) I just want him comfortable............... Will do what i need to do if this continues :) Thanks :) :)

Glad he's better ! I give my dogs lots of medications, and lots of herbals, I don't discriminate !
Medications: cetirizine, milbemycin with praziquantel (Interceptor Plus), k9 Advantix, EcoEars, Curaseb shampoo to eye rope wrinkle
Herbals/Misc. : turmeric, Actiflex-4000,Vitamin E, fish oil, hempseed oil or flaxseed oil, sea kelp

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Glad he's better ! I give my dogs lots of medications, and lots of herbals, I don't discriminate !
Medications: cetirizine, milbemycin with praziquantel (Interceptor Plus), k9 Advantix, EcoEars, Curaseb shampoo to eye rope wrinkle
Herbals/Misc. : turmeric, Actiflex-4000,Vitamin E, fish oil, hempseed oil or flaxseed oil, sea kelp

Im smiling and giggling here because you do have quite the variety :) I do very much believe in all avenues (did dialysis for my husband for a few years :( ) Im just fearful of stuff so it's GREAT to hear of knowledgeable loving people who i trust can give such good advice :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Iā€™m with you. A little of both. Sometimes you have no choice but to give medications.

Without Cytopoint, Jax would be miserable. You canā€™t rid of environmental allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.