Beachsidebully

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hello everyone. I haven't posted on here in years but I am in need for advice. My 4 year old English Bulldog Ham has been licking the air for hours at a time. He has been doing this for about 2 years. We've been to the vet multiple times trying to figure out a solution. His tail and mouth are all clear. His blood work is good and we have ruled out seizures. I am in the process of slowly changing his food to a low fat diet and trying some Zantac thinking it could maybe be reflux. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and found a solution.

Thanks!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there!

It usually is an itch they can't reach or an upset belly --- Lambeau does this a lot too and I distract him with a treat and wipe his bum or scratch his back--- seems to stop it every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty does this a lot, after I put drops in his eyes, clean his wrinkles etc. Sometimes it is for no reason that I can see but it is usually after I do something to him. It can be hard to get him to stop once he gets going.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala does it while sitting straight on her bum. It's her tail pocket. I clean it every 2 days now and keeps the itch at bay.

OP
B

Beachsidebully

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It doesn't seem to be an itch. My other bulldog does lick also when she has an itch but will rock back and forth or seem to be uncomfortable. Ham will do it just laying there and it's literally for hours at a time and all day every day. The vet has checked his tail and his anal glands. My first thought was an anxiety or OCD thing but I haven't figured out a way to help.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of mine started doing that,after being anesthetized for entropion surgery/nare surgery. It drives me nuts(no,Roger!) Sometimes she does it longer than others. I try to distract her with a toy,or a little bit of food. Personally, I think it is a type of seizure. Not like when they have an itch.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hello there. Punk does this too. At first I thought she was having a seizure. Then I realized it was her tail pocket. I clean hers everyday because her tail is a tight screw and in deep to her pocket. Does Daisy do this while sitting on something. Punk does - it is her way of expressing her anal glands :fie: ON MY SHOES ! :facepalm2:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I know a member a few years ago had a bully that did the same nonstop. They checked tail pocket, glands, etc. Ended up changing food, and it went away. Whatever you are feeding be sure its grain free, chicken free, and at least 4 stars on the ratings. Pepcid (famodine) can help too... if its acid reflux. 10mg. Just the plain kind, its the only one safe to give. This is if you've ruled out the other issues.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I 2nd the acid reflux

OP
B

Beachsidebully

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you for this suggestion. I was told zertec is okay and started that 2 days ago. Wonder if I supild switch to pepcid? He's been eating Wellness grain free salmon and potatoes but I am in the process of switching him over to Solid Gold because the fat content is very low and I read that helps wit refux. Fingers crossed it all helps!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you for this suggestion. I was told zertec is okay and started that 2 days ago. Wonder if I supild switch to pepcid? He's been eating Wellness grain free salmon and potatoes but I am in the process of switching him over to Solid Gold because the fat content is very low and I read that helps wit refux. Fingers crossed it all helps!

Speaking of solid Gold :) I just took Hank to the shop where the 'creator' of Solid Gold foods runs her business. She's been there since 1978 (I think) and is still passionate about her foods..I first went there about that year as, since I was eating healthy, I wanted my dog to too. It was so exciting back then to have her in our area... ANYWAY,,, we just went there because she also has a "do it yourself dog wash".... I was told the lady (owner) likes to come and check how yur doing with the bathing, but............... She came right in the room and talked from start to finish.... all about how she started with her foods.... Very Neat lady, she worked hard for this food, and BOY can she chat lol.... Anyway, just a little humanInterest story ;) She also said the people from Honest Kitchen used to work (either) for or with her... kinda cool

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Zertec is an allergy med? Pepcid is for acid reflux, did you maybe mean Zantac? If so yes safe as well, just stick with the basic kind, low dose. Don't go for anything that has "extras" "advanced" etc. Just plain Jane Zantac :)
Potatoes caused my Tyson to break out, wonder if it could be causing some of the problem? Does the Solid Gold contain any? I'm praying and hoping that the food change does the trick, please do keep us posted! Fingers & paws crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online