Age to begin training

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
I think I want our new baby (still no name...i know) to go through training. I'm not the best trainer and u need help as well. I think it will be great for her to learn basic commands especially sit and down bc of the baby. today he would walk and she followed him every step and would chew on him and he would cry. they are both babies so I separated them. but the human baby loves her and loves her chasing him. anyway we are 8 and a half weeks old. I think they have to atleast be 12 weeks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I think I want our new baby (still no name...i know) to go through training. I'm not the best trainer and u need help as well. I think it will be great for her to learn basic commands especially sit and down bc of the baby. today he would walk and she followed him every step and would chew on him and he would cry. they are both babies so I separated them. but the human baby loves her and loves her chasing him. anyway we are 8 and a half weeks old. I think they have to atleast be 12 weeks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Itā€™s always good to have your puppy starting training classes. It gives them n you the basics n a good foundation especially if you have small children at home. Children also needs to be trained as dogs can lose patience. Why itā€™s great for young families to learn the basics. 12 - 16 weeks is great timing.

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Look into training centers close to you. A lot of experienced trainers recommend starting ASAP...like 8 weeks. Less time for them to learn bad behaviors, which then you have to correct.

I had to leash my puppy around my daughter for a few weeks. He saw her as an equal and started nipping hard. So he had a leash on and I corrected and taught him no. I was right there every second they interacted. Now heā€™s 4 months and unless heā€™s being super crazy heā€™s completely fine around her. No chasing and nipping. You have to teach them the correct way to play with humans.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At home training should begin immediately... classes have to wait till after 16 weeks and all shots are received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marlana

Mar 2, 2019
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Some classes you donā€™t need all shots done, but do screen them well! They need to require a fecal sample and shots that are up to date for age! But you can find training facilities for younger pups. And itā€™s really important sheā€™s well socialized now! Start now! They have a really critical stage from 8-16 weeks where they are like a sponge.

I was scared to take my puppy out under 16 weeks but after talking to a couple trainers they said itā€™s critical to do it earlier than 16 weeks. Obviously avoid dog parks and pet stores. What I did was carry him around from 8-12 weeks. I carried him in Target. Carried him in petco. Carried him when I took my daughter to the school. Iā€™d let anyone who asked pet him. Then around 12 weeks Iā€™d start letting him down more if I felt it was safe. 14ish weeks (heā€™d had 2 sets of shots) he was on leash on the ground but still no dog heavy areas.

It also depends on your area. Mine is pretty low for dog viruses. I asked my vet and called a few others. They said they havenā€™t seen parvo in a year. So that helped. If nothing else, at least invite tons of people over.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online