Afraid of Car - any advise on how to get over this fear

anns4boys

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie Sinatra, Fiona Blu and French Bulldogs Tallulah and Muson and Maltipoo DiMaggio
We adopted Frankie, who just turned one and a half, 4 weeks ago. He came from a home where shortly after getting him, they became pregnant and as soon as the baby was born, his life was turned upside down. After being boarded at the vet twice for a week at a time and then living with a professional trainer for a month, 1 day after going back home, he was back at the trainer and then 2 days later to our home. All of this back and forth happened within a month and a half. We quickly learned that he wanted no part of a leash. All you had to do was pick it up and he ran under a chair. He wouldn't even go near the front door for a week and a half. Would only go out the back door. We were gradually able to coax him to the door and eventually out the front door by making it a positive experience. When he went out, he got to play - run after a ball, Frisbee etc. We created a monster, lol because now he wants out the front door all the time! Once out front, you can put a leash on him and he is fine. Heels nicely and enjoys his walks. But you have to put the leash on outside - he will not let you do in in the house. And he WILL NOT GOT NEAR THE CAR! I got him into the car once, about a week after we got him to take him to petsmart for a new collar and toys. I honestly don't remember how I got him in the car, I know he resisted a bit, but I was able to get him in. The trip to petsmart was great, he was well behaved, he got toys, he got treats - but then he wouldn't get back in the car. It took me 15 minutes to get him in the car and he was an anxious mess the entire ride home. I felt horrible, I thought he was going to pass out!

I have not idea if he was always afraid of the car, or if he was traumatized by being bounced around so much in such a short time frame -the trainer told me he took him in the car a lot to competitions. Said he didn't like it but he would calm down after a while.

This boy is terrified of the car. He won't even go near them in the driveway. I have not tried to take him in the car since that first time about 3 weeks ago. I thought I would try again today - take a short ride around the block and show him we came back home. But he would not budge and I couldn't get him to get in the car. I don't want to traumatize him. My other 3 love the car and we have never had any trouble. I feel so bad for my Frankie Sinatra, I can see how stressed he is, but I want to be able to take him to a dog park, to the vet, and would also like to take him for training to be a therapy dog like my little frenchie is, but I can't do any of that without conquering his fear.

Any ideas on how I can gradually gain his trust and get him to ride in the car?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I suppose try to recondition him. Jax is not a fan of the car but he’s small enough where I can just pick him up and put him in.
Is he food motivated? What about laying a trail of treats to the car? Then take him outside, leash him and let him follow the treats. Then when he gets to the car tell him good boy and maybe just hang out near the car for a few minutes? If that works, build it up by putting treats in the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Also may be possible to feed him for some time near the car or even in the trunk (put a rubber mat first to protect it)?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
You say he's only been at your house for four weeks - that is a short time. Perhaps he thinks car rides mean being sent off to another place. Can you wait a few weeks and see if he relaxes a bit and then try again? I understand it's difficult not being able to take him to the vet, for instance, but he's been thorugh so much that perhaps he just needs time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We adopted Frankie, who just turned one and a half, 4 weeks ago. He came from a home where shortly after getting him, they became pregnant and as soon as the baby was born, his life was turned upside down. After being boarded at the vet twice for a week at a time and then living with a professional trainer for a month, 1 day after going back home, he was back at the trainer and then 2 days later to our home. All of this back and forth happened within a month and a half. We quickly learned that he wanted no part of a leash. All you had to do was pick it up and he ran under a chair. He wouldn't even go near the front door for a week and a half. Would only go out the back door. We were gradually able to coax him to the door and eventually out the front door by making it a positive experience. When he went out, he got to play - run after a ball, Frisbee etc. We created a monster, lol because now he wants out the front door all the time! Once out front, you can put a leash on him and he is fine. Heels nicely and enjoys his walks. But you have to put the leash on outside - he will not let you do in in the house. And he WILL NOT GOT NEAR THE CAR! I got him into the car once, about a week after we got him to take him to petsmart for a new collar and toys. I honestly don't remember how I got him in the car, I know he resisted a bit, but I was able to get him in. The trip to petsmart was great, he was well behaved, he got toys, he got treats - but then he wouldn't get back in the car. It took me 15 minutes to get him in the car and he was an anxious mess the entire ride home. I felt horrible, I thought he was going to pass out!

I have not idea if he was always afraid of the car, or if he was traumatized by being bounced around so much in such a short time frame -the trainer told me he took him in the car a lot to competitions. Said he didn't like it but he would calm down after a while.

This boy is terrified of the car. He won't even go near them in the driveway. I have not tried to take him in the car since that first time about 3 weeks ago. I thought I would try again today - take a short ride around the block and show him we came back home. But he would not budge and I couldn't get him to get in the car. I don't want to traumatize him. My other 3 love the car and we have never had any trouble. I feel so bad for my Frankie Sinatra, I can see how stressed he is, but I want to be able to take him to a dog park, to the vet, and would also like to take him for training to be a therapy dog like my little frenchie is, but I can't do any of that without conquering his fear.

Any ideas on how I can gradually gain his trust and get him to ride in the car?

have you tired getting him in the car with your others babies already inside? it will take time, but use the frenchie love of the car to your advantage and let him see they are good and he will slowly come around. he may never have a love of the car, but he might get less stressed with the support of the pack.

Is Miss T your dog alpha? If yes, use her to guide him.

My Banks HATED the car... nothing in her 9 years ever changed it, but we could get her in and out with treats. She would hide and roll as tight as she could into a ball - I think she felt out of control.. being the beeochy girl she was, is did not like being 'not in control'

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Feeding him in the car,as has been said-if he is a food fiend,as mine are,maybe you could eventually give him his meals near the car. Or pull the car as near to the house as you can,and sit on the ground and feed him. Maybe that will help get him over the fear of being near the car. Don't try to rush it,if you don't have to. If he has a crate,try putting him in the crate(if you have help) and carry it into the car,and take a short ride. Some dogs never(as Miss Banks) get over their dislike of the car,but most dogs love it. If it is just fear, patience and assurance should work. Or he may say-"I do it MY WAY!"

OP
anns4boys

anns4boys

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie Sinatra, Fiona Blu and French Bulldogs Tallulah and Muson and Maltipoo DiMaggio
have you tired getting him in the car with your others babies already inside? it will take time, but use the frenchie love of the car to your advantage and let him see they are good and he will slowly come around. he may never have a love of the car, but he might get less stressed with the support of the pack.

Is Miss T your dog alpha? If yes, use her to guide him.

My Banks HATED the car... nothing in her 9 years ever changed it, but we could get her in and out with treats. She would hide and roll as tight as she could into a ball - I think she felt out of control.. being the beeochy girl she was, is did not like being 'not in control'

Yes, Little T is the alpha of the pack - the teeniest one, go figure but let me tell you these 3 boys don't mess with her, lol. She and Frankie get along well and we have tried letting him out and seeing the others get in the car everyday to go to work with
Dad. He gets as excited as they do - UNTIL they get in the car. Then he is like - OH Hell no and he runs back to the front door. I will try treats to see if that works. I don't want to stress him and I am taking in very slowly, but I really would like to be able to get him OK with the car. He doesn't have to love it, a just ok will be good, lol

Members online

No members online now.