Advice for Frank

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I need advice!
Frank is not as social as Bella was and is!
I guess itā€™s probably because I could and did take her out where ever she was allowed and I canā€™t do that with the two of them so he didnā€™t get out as much.
He is afraid of people when we take him out for walks he wants to get away from anyone who wants to pet him. He barks and tries anything to get away from them.
He will sometimes go to the person if Bella is there and as long as they arenā€™t trying to pet him. If they try to pet him he will bark at them and try to get away. He is a barker though he barks a lot while playing (or if you try to get something away from him that he isnā€™t supposed to have)
At home itā€™s not so bad if anyone comes to the house but on walks it is a nightmare.
(he will be six months on dec 10th)

I hate that we canā€™t take him out to restaurants, stores ectā€¦ (well because I am afraid to try this point)
Any advice welcome and needed!
We love him so much and weā€™re hoping to be able to take him out like we do Bella!
I Know we missed the best window for getting him socialized and loving people but is it too late?? Although we did take him out some I guess just not enough. Or maybe itā€™s an old English bulldog thing?

Attachments

• 30DDFE14-A728-4CE1-AD8B-37C88F9A7EA5.jpeg
    30DDFE14-A728-4CE1-AD8B-37C88F9A7EA5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 9477FF75-840B-44E6-8C51-7A4BDA97F15F.jpeg
    9477FF75-840B-44E6-8C51-7A4BDA97F15F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I walked two together, I had a leash coupler that kept them side by side, close. Maybe you could try that?, as it might give Frank more confidence, being right next to Bella. You and your hubby try it together, if you may need assistance!

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I walked two together, I had a leash coupler that kept them side by side, close. Maybe you could try that?, as it might give Frank more confidence, being right next to Bella. You and your hubby try it together, if you may need assistance!
I thought about getting one but they are pretty strong ! Lol.
Yesterday he almost pulled out of his harness trying to get away. šŸ«¤

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@Manydogs is correctā€¦..

When living in the city I used these in the attachment . You can also give the length you want whoā€˜s in the front n whoā€™s in the back or out side by side. In your case you put Bella in the front. Sheā€™s teaching Frank They are very sturdy, I also bought a hand leash as the ones that are on the duo leash are great for a fast grab or just give a quick yank to the dog you want to address. Itā€™s all on swivel clips so no one gets tangled.

Attachments

• 497FBCA5-098B-4F96-8966-03C7A851A01E.jpeg
    497FBCA5-098B-4F96-8966-03C7A851A01E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 7324D3BD-C893-47EF-8883-E004ACBC5F3E.jpeg
    7324D3BD-C893-47EF-8883-E004ACBC5F3E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • A0B0E0AF-8400-4F62-AD66-4EFE3BCC705E.jpeg
    A0B0E0AF-8400-4F62-AD66-4EFE3BCC705E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walk him with Martingale as youā€™re basically training him. I never used any harness to train. Dogs needs a good quick yank to bring them back to reality.

I was actually OK with the way he walks on a leash. I was really more worried about how he acts, like he is terrified of people that want to pet him. I have never had a puppy that was afraid of new people. It could be just his personality because his brother Kane is not like that with new people and he didnā€™t get out any more than Frankie did.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Keep taking him out to pet friendly places so he can get used to the noises, people, etc. Darla is 18 weeks and is horrible on a leash. I took her to Mud Bay (local pet store) yesterday which is her first outing since getting her shots. She was definitely scared but everyone was oogling and going crazy over her, she loosened up. It took awhile to get her to walk back to the car but she finally did. Iā€™m going to just keep taking her out to get her used to it. And on good weather days, walk her outside with one of the other dogs. They learn from the older dogs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I was actually OK with the way he walks on a leash. I was really more worried about how he acts, like he is terrified of people that want to pet him. I have never had a puppy that was afraid of new people. It could be just his personality because his brother Kane is not like that with new people and he didnā€™t get out any more than Frankie did.
Frank needs to socialize on his own without Bella. Bring him in pet shops, in a mall if allowed etc. I have same issues with Sadie my GS. She 13months now n does what Frank does but she will confront strangers n just stand there. I brought her with me to Loews as a I was appliance shopping n thatā€™s when she had her splint. She barked at everyone. She realized ppl was ignoring her when walking by her n she stopped. Eventually a couple asked if they can pet her. I know Sadie, sheā€™s more mouthy. But a dogā€™s a dog. I saw her body reaction n she was fine to be pet. If ā€œyouā€ have doubts, dogs will sense it. If youā€™re the one thatā€™s worried for what heā€™ll do, heā€™ll pick it up.

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank needs to socialize on his own without Bella. Bring him in pet shops, in a mall if allowed etc. I have same issues with Sadie my GS. She 13months now n does what Frank does but she will confront strangers n just stand there. I brought her with me to Loews as a I was appliance shopping n thatā€™s when she had her splint. She barked at everyone. She realized ppl was ignoring her when walking by her n she stopped. Eventually a couple asked if they can pet her. I know Sadie, sheā€™s more mouthy. But a dogā€™s a dog. I saw her body reaction n she was fine to be pet. If ā€œyouā€ have doubts, dogs will sense it. If youā€™re the one thatā€™s worried for what heā€™ll do, heā€™ll pick it up.
I know I didnā€™t bring him out enough because I felt bad not taking both. I hope I can get him to at least be able to go out and not bark at people. Lol
He really only barks at people who try and approach us.

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Manydogs is correctā€¦..

When living in the city I used these in the attachment . You can also give the length you want whoā€˜s in the front n whoā€™s in the back or out side by side. In your case you put Bella in the front. Sheā€™s teaching Frank They are very sturdy, I also bought a hand leash as the ones that are on the duo leash are great for a fast grab or just give a quick yank to the dog you want to address. Itā€™s all on swivel clips so no one gets tangled.
Where did you get the leash? What are they called?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
When I first got Porkchop, he was not used to people as his previous owners pretty much kept him locked up. I would sit on the bench in front of a store that had some people traffic, like Petsmart and Target (with a tall coffee from Starbucks!). It didn't take long, maybe a few excursions, for him to get used to people passing, some wanting to pet him. After that, I'd take him for walks down the little promenade with all the kitschy stores and he started approaching people, like he was asking for attention. Most of the time he got it, sometimes not. That might be difficult for you to do in Canada right now though....

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I first got Porkchop, he was not used to people as his previous owners pretty much kept him locked up. I would sit on the bench in front of a store that had some people traffic, like Petsmart and Target (with a tall coffee from Starbucks!). It didn't take long, maybe a few excursions, for him to get used to people passing, some wanting to pet him. After that, I'd take him for walks down the little promenade with all the kitschy stores and he started approaching people, like he was asking for attention. Most of the time he got it, sometimes not. That might be difficult for you to do in Canada right now though....
We are actually in Georgia so it is warm (for the most part) enough to take him out. I will most definitely try to get him out more. Even though Bella goes to people with no problem he still barks and tries to get away. He did try to get close a few times while they were petting her but when they tried to pet him he w would again retreat and bark. He is a pretty vocal guy anyway, he likes to bark at us when we talk to him. Something Bella hardly ever does is bark. Maybe it is just going to take more time for him to warm up. I just am not used to this because we have never had a dog (puppy) that didnā€™t love people and want to meet them!
As long as there is hope!!! šŸ˜Š

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
We are actually in Georgia so it is warm (for the most part) enough to take him out. I will most definitely try to get him out more. Even though Bella goes to people with no problem he still barks and tries to get away. He did try to get close a few times while they were petting her but when they tried to pet him he w would again retreat and bark. He is a pretty vocal guy anyway, he likes to bark at us when we talk to him. Something Bella hardly ever does is bark. Maybe it is just going to take more time for him to warm up. I just am not used to this because we have never had a dog (puppy) that didnā€™t love people and want to meet them!
As long as there is hope!!! šŸ˜Š
Oops! I misread your location. Certainly a better climate! If you can take him out on his own to a nice setting for sitting, give him a sharp short 'sshhh' when he barks and "good boy" when he stops, well, that's what I did. It did work but took a few excursions. He's young. There's hope in that!

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oops! I misread your location. Certainly a better climate! If you can take him out on his own to a nice setting for sitting, give him a sharp short 'sshhh' when he barks and "good boy" when he stops, well, that's what I did. It did work but took a few excursions. He's young. There's hope in that!
Letā€™s hope! I did just order the martingale collar!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree he has to go out and socialize without Bella... even if a quick trip to the pet store to walk around and get some other scents and interactions.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.