Adventures with our new baby...Debbie! Hello!

acksindelar

Jun 19, 2018
Nebraska
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Debbie
Hello!

My name is Amanda and I am 34 years of age. Last Friday, we got our new addition to our family....a 8 week old English Bulldog named Debbie! We lost our American Bulldog Graham last year. We have a son that is 9 and we needed to fill a void that Graham provided. Plus a love of a dog is so important. My husband has ALWAYS dreamed of an English Bulldog. So we bit the bullet.

I must say, and if I sound crazy please tell me, I am having some puppy anxiety. Its amazing how much your world changes with a puppy. Your freedom is gone. I am heading home every 2 hours to get her out potty. Constantly watching her every move. We are doing crate training right now. She does fine. The first night was terrible. She pooped every 2 hours when we would get up to get her out. But we have made very great changes with that. Just trying to follow her schedule.

I am going to meet up with an trainer next week for crate/potty training. Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly for her. We also have her signed up for a puppy class here coming up in August.

That was a very long introduction. Sorry about that. So any suggestions or praises would be good. I have set an alarm every 2 hours to get her outside. I am suffering from exhaustion! Lol. She is worth it though! She is a sweetie!

I hope to hear from you! Thanks! ~Amanda Debbie.jpgDebbie.jpg

lucysmomma

Jan 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Welcome Amanda and Debbie. OHMYGAH!! I need one of those and then I read what you wrote. Lol No, no you arenā€™t crazy. I remember feeling that way and we got Lucy when she was 6 months. While she was housebroken there was a little regression when she transitioned to her new home. We took her out after every new activity. Playing, eating, drinking, sleeping. We also got some potty bells for her to ring when she needs to go. Keep up the good work, youā€™ll get there. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello! I hope to hear from you! Thanks! ~Amanda

Hello and Welcome!! Donā€™t worry youā€™re normal lol... when I got my white face 14 months ago, I did what you are doing now but without a trainer....to this day if I ever get another, I want it older n cleaned. I forgot how much work a pup was lolll.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Your baby is adorable, and I think you have described every bulldog owner on here... Lol I think puppies are just like having kids, it's major anxiety at first then things began to relax. I think getting a trainer and puppy classes is an excellent idea... socialization is very important w/puppies. If you click on our home tab, we have tons of threads dedicated to new puppy care and recommendations for food, toys, etc...

OP
A

acksindelar

Jun 19, 2018
Nebraska
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Debbie
Thank you all for the welcomes! I have to realize that she is only a puppy. Only a baby. We are going to take steps forward, and we are also going to take steps back. Just have to go through the emotions. I love how she is getting comfortable with us. Yesterday we were outside and she was jumping in the weeds and barking, then she would do it all over again, with a running start. SOOO PLAYFUL! But those eyes get me. She is sure a looker! I am on this site CONSTANTLY looking for everything and anything I need to know.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you all for the welcomes! I have to realize that she is only a puppy. Only a baby. We are going to take steps forward, and we are also going to take steps back. Just have to go through the emotions. I love how she is getting comfortable with us. Yesterday we were outside and she was jumping in the weeds and barking, then she would do it all over again, with a running start. SOOO PLAYFUL! But those eyes get me. She is sure a looker! I am on this site CONSTANTLY looking for everything and anything I need to know.

You will find tons of great info in here. One of the biggest ā€œmustā€ you need to start since sheā€™s a pup is the food. If you can go raw, perfect. If kibbles is your choice, go with a quality one that has ONE protein only so you can monitor if there is any allergies. I prefer Acana as itā€™s the only one that has tripe in it n itā€™s quality. Also Bookmark https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome from Castor and Co.! Getting a puppy is like having a human baby = little sleep, lots of love and a focus on eating and potty! Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What an adorable pair!!! Congratulations and welcome to EBN!

A great guideline for potty training... they can only hold their bladder for one hour more than month old. And immediately after waking or a play session

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great intro and your son is precious and Debbie is adorable!

Welcome to EBN, will help so much with 'puppy anxiety'. We
LOVE lots of pics & bragging :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh how I love puppies! I even love housetraining,and all puppy things!:rundog::mansfriend: Too bad I can't afford to feed anymore! Enjoy the puppyhood!! They do grow up fast.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Welcome to you and those two adorable kidos ya got there :) And what a wonderful start your giving them both!! :) This site is a lifesaver! So much 'bulldog' experience that will get you through all that your inquiring about for sure. These dogs are just the best,,, alot more intense on the 'keep face folds, tail pocket, feet" clean stuff,, than the norm dog, but worth it all :) Enjoy :)

Members online

No members online now.