Adaquan. Update

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you, Helene. The supplements he is on are Turmeric, Green Lipped Mussel powder, Bovine Colostrum, and Omega 3 Fish oil. The emergency vet recommended putting him on Movoflex instead of his usual Glucosamine/Chondroitin and we have just done that. (Egg shell membrane is one of the ingredients). When we got Buster (6 or 7 years old) he had never been on any joint supplement, so he started really late to all of this. His other problem is his weight. He is naturally a low activity dog and it is tough trying to get that weight off. He has 1/2 cup of food twice a day, topped with veggies. We have also cut out his treats and now as a treat he gets one piece of kibble or a slice of carrot and he is extremely grateful!!! He has lost just over 3 lbs in six weeks. I am seriously thinking of trying to find a lower calorie food for him. Not weight management as they are usually crap. Just less calories. I do give him chicken liver, sardines, raw egg, not all at once of course!

For weight management food, there is a good quality one(NoT vet food), itā€™s called N&D weight management, itā€™s basically less calories per cup and itā€™s lamb based, has no fillers and is good quality, I know a few people who had great success with it for weight.

Raw food is also another good option, thatā€™s good for weight issues too.

Which food are you feeding now?

Those supplements you have mentioned are really good, I havenā€™t heard of Movoflex, but the other supplements are really good for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pam --- we have used Movoflex wit laser for years with Lambeau and Cheli, I believe it has made all the difference for Cheli. he has the bad vertebrae and at 11 yrs old, other than walking like a toddle with a load of poo in his diaper, Cheli things and acts like he is 11 months old.

As for food... have you thought of trying a freeze dried raw... like Stella and Chewy's?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Pam --- we have used Movoflex wit laser for years with Lambeau and Cheli, I believe it has made all the difference for Cheli. he has the bad vertebrae and at 11 yrs old, other than walking like a toddle with a load of poo in his diaper, Cheli things and acts like he is 11 months old.

As for food... have you thought of trying a freeze dried raw... like Stella and Chewy's?
That gives me hope. Thank you. The walk description made me laugh!
I have checked and checked about raw food. I cannot buy in bulk and I don't have adequate freezer space for frozen. Reading the Stella and Chewy's instructions, Buster would need 14 patties a day! There is no way I can afford that at about $30 a day! The search continues!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That gives me hope. Thank you. The walk description made me laugh!
I have checked and checked about raw food. I cannot buy in bulk and I don't have adequate freezer space for frozen. Reading the Stella and Chewy's instructions, Buster would need 14 patties a day! There is no way I can afford that at about $30 a day! The search continues!
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ā€¦ I gotta get the walk in video one day!
yeah, that is way too expensive. Someone mentioned the N&D Farminaā€¦ have you checked on that brand yet?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you, Helene. The supplements he is on are Turmeric, Green Lipped Mussel powder, Bovine Colostrum, and Omega 3 Fish oil. The emergency vet recommended putting him on Movoflex instead of his usual Glucosamine/Chondroitin and we have just done that. (Egg shell membrane is one of the ingredients). When we got Buster (6 or 7 years old) he had never been on any joint supplement, so he started really late to all of this. His other problem is his weight. He is naturally a low activity dog and it is tough trying to get that weight off. He has 1/2 cup of food twice a day, topped with veggies. We have also cut out his treats and now as a treat he gets one piece of kibble or a slice of carrot and he is extremely grateful!!! He has lost just over 3 lbs in six weeks. I am seriously thinking of trying to find a lower calorie food for him. Not weight management as they are usually crap. Just less calories. I do give him chicken liver, sardines, raw egg, not all at once of course!
Best low calorie is home cook cause youā€™re in charge of his meals. @anatess did the raw n bought from grocery stores. Seems to have worked perfectly.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
yeah, that is way too expensive. Someone mentioned the N&D Farminaā€¦ have you checked on that brand yet?
Yes, I have. Still checking out others. I am pleased to say Buster is moving a bit better. We have cut back on his gabapentin as it makes him drowsy and that seems to have helped! He gets his Rimadyl in the morning and gabapentin at night and we are watching him closely. He is such a good boy!
Do you take your dogs into the vets for the laser treatments, or do you now have your own machine? I am thinking if this is going to be ongoing, we might check into doing it ourselves (and I can also use it on my knees!).

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I have. Still checking out others. I am pleased to say Buster is moving a bit better. We have cut back on his gabapentin as it makes him drowsy and that seems to have helped! He gets his Rimadyl in the morning and gabapentin at night and we are watching him closely. He is such a good boy!

Do you take your dogs into the vets for the laser treatments, or do you now have your own machine? I am thinking if this is going to be ongoing, we might check into doing it ourselves (and I can also use it on my knees!).
We go tot he vet for laser once a month. The device they have is like $30,000 and the tech have to be certified. I THINK the device you can buy for home isnt the same but definitely worth looking into

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
For weight management food, there is a good quality one(NoT vet food), itā€™s called N&D weight management, itā€™s basically less calories per cup and itā€™s lamb based, has no fillers and is good quality, I know a few people who had great success with it for weight.

Raw food is also another good option, thatā€™s good for weight issues too.

Which food are you feeding now?

Those supplements you have mentioned are really good, I havenā€™t heard of Movoflex, but the other supplements are really good for him.
I appreciate your comments as I'm trying to have my boy lose some weight. He was recently diagnosed with torn CCL ligaments, etc so I'm starting my journey. Trying non surgical route first to see how things go. For weight management food, are you referring to Farmina N&D brand? My boy is currently on N&D ancestral grain (lamb) so I will consider switching to this grain-free version - same lamb/blueberry formula

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I appreciate your comments as I'm trying to have my boy lose some weight. He was recently diagnosed with torn CCL ligaments, etc so I'm starting my journey. Trying non surgical route first to see how things go. For weight management food, are you referring to Farmina N&D brand? My boy is currently on N&D ancestral grain (lamb) so I will consider switching to this grain-free version - same lamb/blueberry formula

I definitely recommend looking into the non surgical options like Laser therapy.

If your on N&D already, maybe try the N&D Weight Management formula which is lamb, if you want him to lose weight OR you can just give him a little less of the grain free formula(1/4 cup less per day for example).

That is a good food, there is also more high quality foods too like Natures Logic or Carna 4. Just other options to rotate thru for more variety, but I would start to get him back to the weight he should be.

Have you looked into Green Lipped Mussels, they are great for joints.

May 9, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I definitely recommend looking into the non surgical options like Laser therapy.

If your on N&D already, maybe try the N&D Weight Management formula which is lamb, if you want him to lose weight OR you can just give him a little less of the grain free formula(1/4 cup less per day for example).

That is a good food, there is also more high quality foods too like Natures Logic or Carna 4. Just other options to rotate thru for more variety, but I would start to get him back to the weight he should be.

Have you looked into Green Lipped Mussels, they are great for joints.
Thank you, I will try N&D weight mgmt and for treats try lamb or beef liver being low carb. And yes others recommended green lipped mussel supplements. I found one under Zesty Paws line that has it along with the other good stuff

D73600E4-FA79-43E7-B430-17AD01EEAB6A.jpeg305831F4-CDD1-4A2C-BE26-7F390D2EBE26.jpeg

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Thank you, I will try N&D weight mgmt and for treats try lamb or beef liver being low carb. And yes others recommended green lipped mussel supplements. I found one under Zesty Paws line that has it along with the other good stuff

View attachment 123953View attachment 123952

I would recommend avoiding that mobility bites product as thatā€™s gonna have more carbs, and it has some fillers in it too.

I use Freeze Dried Green Lipped mussel powder OR Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea green lipped mussel oil for omegas.

There are a few different brands of freeze dried green lipped mussel powder(Thrive(thatā€™s what I use), Bold by Nature, Raw Paw) are the brands I know if for freeze dried green lipped mussel powder. Works great for arthritis too.

I Know Four Leaf Rover has a powder for joints too but I havenā€™t tried it for my dogs, but that has green lipped mussels and Tumeric.

None of those products have carbs, pure green lipped mussel doesnā€™t have carbs and not many calories either.

Members online