Adaquan. Update

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Buster is really suffering from his arthritis, and I am at a loss how to help him. He is on Gabapentin, Rimadyl, Glucosamine and green lipped mussel powder. I hate he has to take Rimadyl but he can barely move without it. I have tried CBD oil and nothing. Someone suggested Adaquan but apart from what I see on the internet, I know nothing about it. He is going to the vet Thursday morning. Thoughts, anyone?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
No thoughts on that but have you tried turmeric paste? I swear by it for Jax and his achy joints. Itā€™s super easy and quick to make.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Buster is really suffering from his arthritis, and I am at a loss how to help him. He is on Gabapentin, Rimadyl, Glucosamine and green lipped mussel powder. I hate he has to take Rimadyl but he can barely move without it. I have tried CBD oil and nothing. Someone suggested Adaquan but apart from what I see on the internet, I know nothing about it. He is going to the vet Thursday morning. Thoughts, anyone?

I have a dog with very bad arthritis, I give her freeze dried Green Lipped Mussel powder and it has taken the limping away, and made her arthritis almost non existent.

How long have you been giving the green lipped mussels for??

Does he get omega 3??

What is he on for food? Just curious cause raw diet is best for dogs with inflammation and doesnā€™t have the starch/carbs that cause inflammation, so itā€™s good for preventative too.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a dog with very bad arthritis, I give her freeze dried Green Lipped Mussel powder and it has taken the limping away, and made her arthritis almost non existent.

How long have you been giving the green lipped mussels for??

Does he get omega 3??

What is he on for food? Just curious cause raw diet is best for dogs with inflammation and doesnā€™t have the starch/carbs that cause inflammation, so itā€™s good for preventative too.
He has been on the mussel powder for a month (your recommendation) and no, I have not put him on Omega 3. I will do that.
I feed him Zignature. I would like to do raw but cannot find a reasonably priced source and also do not have a freezer for storage so can't buy in bulk.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
No thoughts on that but have you tried turmeric paste? I swear by it for Jax and his achy joints. Itā€™s super easy and quick to make.
Thanks. Will definitely check it out.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
He has been on the mussel powder for a month (your recommendation) and no, I have not put him on Omega 3. I will do that.
I feed him Zignature. I would like to do raw but cannot find a reasonably priced source and also do not have a freezer for storage so can't buy in bulk.

Ok, omega 3 source such as pollock oil or herring oil is a good source of omega 3.
Definitely recommend keeping him on green lipped mussels, Very good for joints and arthritis.

Right, now I remember, I forgot I asked you before what you feed him.

Tumeric is also good, I give open farm beef bone broth which has the tumeric already in it.

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
Adequan shots have really helped with my bulldogs arthritis pain! I'm able to do them at home now and they've been a big help!

lovebuddy

May 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
We have tried gabapentin dasequan, fish oil and a couple months ago adequan shots on our boy. we had to take him off all of that because he started to have an adverse reaction. We saw a new vet for a second opinion and we are now doing cold laser treatment along with the cbd fish oil and dasequin was a recent add on. The laser reportedly targets the inflammation and helps soothe the area allowing relief . I was told that although its called cold laser its actually warm. We are only 3 weeks in and he seems to be doing better ... it was surprisingly inexpensive in comparison to some of the other medication, testing etc. Not sure of this is available at your vet.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got back from the Vets. It was quite a lengthy visit but the end result is that neither Adaquan nor Laser treatments will help him. Buster's arthritis is in his elbows and he said it is the very worst place to get it. If it was his hips or shoulders, it would be a different story. He said it doesn't matter what breed of dog it is, it would be the same for a German Shepherd or a Lab, it is not specific to Bulldogs. He has to lose weight so we will cut his food back yet again and give him more veggies. He says to continue what we are doing and agrees with adding Omega 3. I forgot to ask about turmeric, but I will try it anyway. I am grateful that he didn't say, sure, on the Adaquan or Laser and sell me something that ultimately would not help. I trust my vet completely.
There were 4 other bulldogs waiting to be seen, all different shapes and sizes! It's a great place to bulldog watch!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just got back from the Vets. It was quite a lengthy visit but the end result is that neither Adaquan nor Laser treatments will help him. Buster's arthritis is in his elbows and he said it is the very worst place to get it. If it was his hips or shoulders, it would be a different story. He said it doesn't matter what breed of dog it is, it would be the same for a German Shepherd or a Lab, it is not specific to Bulldogs. He has to lose weight so we will cut his food back yet again and give him more veggies. He says to continue what we are doing and agrees with adding Omega 3. I forgot to ask about turmeric, but I will try it anyway. I am grateful that he didn't say, sure, on the Adaquan or Laser and sell me something that ultimately would not help. I trust my vet completely.
There were 4 other bulldogs waiting to be seen, all different shapes and sizes! It's a great place to bulldog watch!
Sending lots of love and healing prayersā€¦. I hope you can get his weight down and that helps relieve some pain. I also use the turmeric paste for Cheliā€™s back and as a preventative for Lambeau

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE. Buster had an issue on Saturday evening that had never happened before. He suddenly couldn't support his rear end. He wouldn't move around and would only sit or lay down. We wondered if he had twisted something. We decided to let him rest and see how he was in the morning. Sunday morning he was the same, so we set off for the ER. The vet there said it was his ACL and hip dysplasia. He was walking just fine in there, people and dogs around to make him forget his pain! She advised keeping him quiet until we could see his vet which we did yesterday (Monday). They took x-rays and thank goodness, his leg is fine but he does have hip dysplasia and arthritis in his hips, and knees and spondylosis. We are continuing with his pain meds but he is now having laser treatments. We also had blood work done to make sure everything is OK after taking Rimadyl. He is on every supplement that has been recommended and his pain pills but honestly, nothing made much difference with his stiffness and now this. Poor boy. I will let you know how the laser treatment are going.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
UPDATE. Buster had an issue on Saturday evening that had never happened before. He suddenly couldn't support his rear end. He wouldn't move around and would only sit or lay down. We wondered if he had twisted something. We decided to let him rest and see how he was in the morning. Sunday morning he was the same, so we set off for the ER. The vet there said it was his ACL and hip dysplasia. He was walking just fine in there, people and dogs around to make him forget his pain! She advised keeping him quiet until we could see his vet which we did yesterday (Monday). They took x-rays and thank goodness, his leg is fine but he does have hip dysplasia and arthritis in his hips, and knees and spondylosis. We are continuing with his pain meds but he is now having laser treatments. We also had blood work done to make sure everything is OK after taking Rimadyl. He is on every supplement that has been recommended and his pain pills but honestly, nothing made much difference with his stiffness and now this. Poor boy. I will let you know how the laser treatment are going.
How did I miss this thread šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Regarding supplements, when thereā€™s too many of them it can do the opposite effect. And a lot of people in general donā€™t know that thereā€™s different quality of supplements. With what Iā€™m reading here n yes itā€™s my opinion as you know, less is better. Green lip mussels has everything in it. I even use it for myself. But it does take a good 2months before you see any improvement. Have you tried fermented/or not eggshell membrane collagen? Fermented is always better as you already know. If it was one of my dogs, I would stop all supplements n stick to eggshell membrane collagen as it has everything. Tumeric paste is also good stuff that you can keep. Read up on eggshell bit n youā€™ll see. Add some raw organs on his Zignature as he needs the minerals. Get some fractionated coconut oil, frankincense n myrrh essential oil. 3oz FCO, 15drops of each EO. Shake well n only put it along the spine. Massage in.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
How did I miss this thread šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Regarding supplements, when thereā€™s too many of them it can do the opposite effect. And a lot of people in general donā€™t know that thereā€™s different quality of supplements. With what Iā€™m reading here n yes itā€™s my opinion as you know, less is better. Green lip mussels has everything in it. I even use it for myself. But it does take a good 2months before you see any improvement. Have you tried fermented/or not eggshell membrane collagen? Fermented is always better as you already know. If it was one of my dogs, I would stop all supplements n stick to eggshell membrane collagen as it has everything. Tumeric paste is also good stuff that you can keep. Read up on eggshell bit n youā€™ll see. Add some raw organs on his Zignature as he needs the minerals. Get some fractionated coconut oil, frankincense n myrrh essential oil. 3oz FCO, 15drops of each EO. Shake well n only put it along the spine. Massage in.
Thank you, Helene. The supplements he is on are Turmeric, Green Lipped Mussel powder, Bovine Colostrum, and Omega 3 Fish oil. The emergency vet recommended putting him on Movoflex instead of his usual Glucosamine/Chondroitin and we have just done that. (Egg shell membrane is one of the ingredients). When we got Buster (6 or 7 years old) he had never been on any joint supplement, so he started really late to all of this. His other problem is his weight. He is naturally a low activity dog and it is tough trying to get that weight off. He has 1/2 cup of food twice a day, topped with veggies. We have also cut out his treats and now as a treat he gets one piece of kibble or a slice of carrot and he is extremely grateful!!! He has lost just over 3 lbs in six weeks. I am seriously thinking of trying to find a lower calorie food for him. Not weight management as they are usually crap. Just less calories. I do give him chicken liver, sardines, raw egg, not all at once of course!

Members online

No members online now.