Acting very strange

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
Hey guys! Diesel is turning 10 months and heā€™s been acting very strange the past few days. Heā€™s been star gazing (I think) and acting like something is flying around but not totally fly ā€œsnapping..ā€ heā€™s also been hiding behind the toilet. Heā€™s eating/ drinking/ going to the bathroom normally. There was a fly in here 2 days ago that he did see and it scared him . He flew off the couch screaming and hiding like it attacked him. Ever since then he has been acting like this.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg im laughing (i do so hope he's fine and my laughter is not wrongly done ) but danged if Hank wont 'fly' gaze, (but at real flys) and it cracks me up. He has seen the chi catch one so i think he is more conscious of them because of that. they are so strange with their 'fears' (tho this is not one of Hanks, he just likes watching) but hopfully, it's just something yours saw and mabie had buzzed in his ear so scared the sweet heart. I Hope no one comes up with something bad and it's just one of those quirks these guys are prone to.

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
It was 2 days ago and he is still acting like this!! He is scared to death about something! Please donā€™t tell me that fly scared him that much! Right now heā€™s on the couch looking around, looking up waiting for the fly to come back...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
what a sweet heart, and i absolutly do not like to see them fearful :( Hank is terrified of strait things so i have to be conscious when i pick up longer than normal pencils, or a ruler, or a tape measure, even a taller thin bottle can make him dart away. I just watch those things now (he has me trained) but unless there is something medically that has come up with yours, (which someone may know of his symptoms) then i'd say he's acquired an obsessive compulsive behavior that these guys all seem to have of their own. I hope thats all it is..and that he looses his fear :(

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
Aww poor Hank! I never knew they were this sensitive. At first I was sure it was fly snapping syndrome. But now I think he is more spooked about the bug incident.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My sister has 3 small poodles. The 5lb one when he sees a spider he barks non stop and wont move an inch till my sister gets up and gets rid of the spider. Nyala had an issue with brooms when I got her. To remove the fear, I lay the broom on the floor n sat beside it. She would come up to me thinking i want to play with her. She would smell the broom from far but eventually got closer. Took months. Had to leave the broom standing here n there so she sees it. Duke is the same anything you grab long he takes off. Was cleaning the firewood logs n pieces of wood under the deck he takes off like a bullet. Yet, he always goes underneath and drags them out all over the yard n chews on them. My little flyswaper has become a game with him. I noticed when I take it out he wants to play with me. This morning he grabbed it and played with it. If you're brooming or shoveling he takes off. [MENTION=16869]Snoboardchk911[/MENTION] try sitting down to his level while a fly is around and just say...it's ok it's ok just a fly. Keep his attention elsewhere like playing on the floor with him with his toys. He'll get over it.

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley
My sister has 3 small poodles. The 5lb one when he sees a spider he barks non stop and wont move an inch till my sister gets up and gets rid of the spider. Nyala had an issue with brooms when I got her. To remove the fear, I lay the broom on the floor n sat beside it. She would come up to me thinking i want to play with her. She would smell the broom from far but eventually got closer. Took months. Had to leave the broom standing here n there so she sees it. Duke is the same anything you grab long he takes off. Was cleaning the firewood logs n pieces of wood under the deck he takes off like a bullet. Yet, he always goes underneath and drags them out all over the yard n chews on them. My little flyswaper has become a game with him. I noticed when I take it out he wants to play with me. This morning he grabbed it and played with it. If you're brooming or shoveling he takes off. [MENTION=16869]Snoboardchk911[/MENTION] try sitting down to his level while a fly is around and just say...it's ok it's ok just a fly. Keep his attention elsewhere like playing on the floor with him with his toys. He'll get over it.

So is it normal for him to still be worried about the one fly that was in here days ago??! There hasnā€™t been one since then. Heā€™s walking around, ears back looking around for another one to come.. Oh and thank you for explaining these crazy behaviors better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So is it normal for him to still be worried about the one fly that was in here days ago??! There hasnā€™t been one since then. Heā€™s walking around, ears back looking around for another one to come.. Oh and thank you for explaining these crazy behaviors better!

My sister's dog still barks been a year now. BUT these are poodles we're talking about. Her 3 dogs barks or I should really say yaps at anything and everything even on tv cause she lets them. Extremely annoying! But heh, I dont live there. Flys will always be. Cant do much about not having a fly in the house. My GS would just lay there not moving an inch and wait for the fly, bees or anything that buzzed around him and wIt for it. SNAPPED and ate it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey guys! Diesel is turning 10 months and heā€™s been acting very strange the past few days. Heā€™s been star gazing (I think) and acting like something is flying around but not totally fly ā€œsnapping..ā€ heā€™s also been hiding behind the toilet. Heā€™s eating/ drinking/ going to the bathroom normally. There was a fly in here 2 days ago that he did see and it scared him . He flew off the couch screaming and hiding like it attacked him. Ever since then he has been acting like this.

Does he have a tail pocket? Check it and see if it needs a really good cleaning... if not, SOMETIMES when an animal hides they can be in pain or not feel well.

Any other changes in the house?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Does he have a tail pocket? Check it and see if it needs a really good cleaning... if not, SOMETIMES when an animal hides they can be in pain or not feel well.

wow! i hope she sees this as your right,,,, Hank has had the run hide sit thing and sort of looking upward when he needed a good cleanig.. it's been awhile and had totally forgot about that!!!!! I have kept up with it (with hellsonwheels concoction) since then and so forgot all about that 'look'... hum,,mabie thats whats going on there.

OP
Snoboardchk911

Snoboardchk911

Feb 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Bentley

Iā€™ll check the tail pocket! He seems ok now... He went to the kennel for the weekend about 2 weeks ago.. maybe that upset him?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

this is something from another site i just read " Fly Biting Seizures. Not harmful. Not tail pocket because that's when they rub their tail on the carpet. In Fly Biting seizures, they lick up in the air. Give a teaspoon of local honey in food every day and it will stop and help. It's a blood sugar issue. I've rescued and had eleven bulldogs in my life and only one of them has done this. Fed her honey and it stopped" Now i will say that the part about them "rubbing their tail on the carpet is NOT the case for hank at all, for hank, it sounds like what yours is doing.... sooooooooooooo, all im saying is it was odd to read this so soon after you talking about this ..sort of ;)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online