Acting odd, maybe gas?

GertieTerdz

May 10, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
So it’s been awhile since Ive been on this forum but tonight my girl has been acting off And I was wantIng to see if anyone has had a similar experience to this.

so my dog, Gertie, is we believe to be a 9 year old, going on 10, english bulldog. Tonight she is acting distressed when going to bed, not wanting to settle. When she did lay down she seemed fine until she shifted, when she moved (when laying down), especially when going to lay on her other side, she would let out awful yowls like she was in pain.
we have only heard her do this when she didn’t want her nails clipped, (we initially thought maybe we hurt her due to nail clipping today but that was hours ago and she was fine after. Also when feeling and bending prodding her stomach and body she doesn’t respond.

we called the vet and they said maybe gas and as long as she wasn’t vomiting or her gums where not white that it wasn’t a emergency .

what do you guys think. Anyone have an experience like this? im worried she hurting somewhere.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It definitely sounds like she could be in some kind of pain. If it were me, I’d make a vet appointment to have her looked over and maybe some bloodwork done if she hadn’t had it done in awhile.

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
So it’s been awhile since Ive been on this forum but tonight my girl has been acting off And I was wantIng to see if anyone has had a similar experience to this.

so my dog, Gertie, is we believe to be a 9 year old, going on 10, english bulldog. Tonight she is acting distressed when going to bed, not wanting to settle. When she did lay down she seemed fine until she shifted, when she moved (when laying down), especially when going to lay on her other side, she would let out awful yowls like she was in pain.
we have only heard her do this when she didn’t want her nails clipped, (we initially thought maybe we hurt her due to nail clipping today but that was hours ago and she was fine after. Also when feeling and bending prodding her stomach and body she doesn’t respond.

we called the vet and they said maybe gas and as long as she wasn’t vomiting or her gums where not white that it wasn’t a emergency .

what do you guys think. Anyone have an experience like this? im worried she hurting somewhere.

I would definitely have her checked by the vet ASAP cause it does sound like she is in pain somewhere.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
If she's passing gas and stool as usual it's probably not anything like bloat. But, it seems as though she's in pain and I would have her checked out ASAP anyway.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is she doing?

OP
GertieTerdz

GertieTerdz

May 10, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
How is she doing?
Sorry for the late reply, it’s actually been a roller coaster. So the initial reason for this post turned out to be just something tweaked, and it went away within a day or two. We also learned that she has pretty severe arthritis and got pain meds to manage it.

Now the roller coaster started yesterday, it was completely unrelated to the original reason for the post! She finally was pretty much back to her normal self the day before but Monday (8/15) something was most definitely off, restless, panting, dry heaving , distended belly and very pale gums. So I freaked out, got my parents on the phone and took her to the vet. Turns out she got Bloat (GDV) :( so she has gone through surgery to fix her twisted stomach and now finally came back home tonight very loopy on pain medications. It was very unfortunate luck.
86A269BD-3CE7-4891-8F67-4BA6C88FBBCE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2014
NE Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sorry for the late reply, it’s actually been a roller coaster. So the initial reason for this post turned out to be just something tweaked, and it went away within a day or two. We also learned that she has pretty severe arthritis and got pain meds to manage it.

Now the roller coaster started yesterday, it was completely unrelated to the original reason for the post! She finally was pretty much back to her normal self the day before but Monday (8/15) something was most definitely off, restless, panting, dry heaving , distended belly and very pale gums. So I freaked out, got my parents on the phone and took her to the vet. Turns out she got Bloat (GDV) :( so she has gone through surgery to fix her twisted stomach and now finally came back home tonight very loopy on pain medications. It was very unfortunate luck.View attachment 123125
Wow! So happy she is doing well. Thank God you trusted your instincts and got her to the vet. Keep us posted on her progress.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Now the roller coaster started yesterday, it was completely unrelated to the original reason for the post! She finally was pretty much back to her normal self the day before but Monday (8/15) something was most definitely off, restless, panting, dry heaving , distended belly and very pale gums. So I freaked out, got my parents on the phone and took her to the vet. Turns out she got Bloat (GDV) :( so she has gone through surgery to fix her twisted stomach and now finally came back home tonight very loopy on pain medications. It was very unfortunate luck.View attachment 123125
Whoa!! What a week.. so happy you caught it and got her to a vet. Sending healing prayers

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You 2 are VERY lucky! The mortality rate for bloat is very high. I would not be surprised if she had experienced a twist earlier and it corrected itself before it became an urgency. WHEW!

OP
GertieTerdz

GertieTerdz

May 10, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie
You 2 are VERY lucky! The mortality rate for bloat is very high. I would not be surprised if she had experienced a twist earlier and it corrected itself before it became an urgency. WHEW!
It's so interesting how you can tell there's something wrong if you really focus on your pet. The first thing I noticed was her stomach, it was so odd cause she just looked so unnaturally big then her gums were just so pale and I just felt that something wasn't right. If I didn't know her personality I would have thought how she was acting/look was normal. I'm so thankful that she is still here with us.

She's doing well now. Still up on pain meds and chicken/rice diet. When she isn't sleepy, she is her normal self.

Most Reactions