Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Has anyone’s bulldogs had acl surgery?
If so what helped diet wise and recovery? Baby honey has surgery this week

I know a couple people who had it done on their dogs, they switched to Raw some of them switched to Natures Logic or Carna 4.

I recommend freeze dried Green Lipped mussel powder as well cause that’s a great whole food source(which works better)of glucosamine and chondroitin, but also another good supplement to help recovery is Adored Beast brand Jump For JOYnts Extra strength spray, you spray it into the mouth twice a day and it’s really good for Ligaments, Joint injury/pain and recovery. It mentions ACL tears too to be used for as well. It’s good to speed recovery too.

Hope she recovers well from surgery.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@Hanknhoney We have been through this surgery 3 times 2-Jewel and 1-Bentley. Luckily, Cooper is doing fine in this regard.

Here is an article from PetMD: https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/recovery-dog-acl-surgery . This will give you an idea. It is not fun but your baby's quality of life will be better.

After surgery and for 12 weeks...NO jumping, running, climbing, long walks, hopping, etc.. Only walking is to go potty. You may have to support your bully's weight to poop. We used a towel to assist with her weight distribution on her and his hind leg that was repaired. Basically, you need to limit activity except for breathing. ;) We used a crate for them both for the first 4 days then graduated to a 4 X 4 plastic pen for the rest of the time. If your bully is out of the pen or crate, they need to be supervised to protect the surgery.

As far as diet is concerned, we fed Jewel and Bentley their regular diets.

Hope this helps

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
My Bulldog auggie is currently 3 weeks post acl surgery and doing great! My other Bulldog Dan had it 2 years ago and has healed wonderfully and the other leg has had zero problems! Rest is key! No jumping or stairs. Both of mine stayed on their normal raw diet throughout the whole process. We gave them some new bones and lick mats to help with boredom, as well as walks in their stroller. The healing process is long and not fun, but worth it!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
My Bulldog auggie is currently 3 weeks post acl surgery and doing great! My other Bulldog Dan had it 2 years ago and has healed wonderfully and the other leg has had zero problems! Rest is key! No jumping or stairs. Both of mine stayed on their normal raw diet throughout the whole process. We gave them some new bones and lick mats to help with boredom, as well as walks in their stroller. The healing process is long and not fun, but worth it!
Well said. "Rest is key!"

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Hanknhoney

Hanknhoney

May 3, 2022
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and honey
So honeys surgery went great. But healing is rough. We had 2 week check up and not healing the best. Dr took out a lot of fluid do to Sonoma… so too much movement and maybe licking. anyone have any healing tips :(

Attachments

• 70718088261__63938F45-06BD-44DD-8DE0-E737546B8C20.jpeg
    70718088261__63938F45-06BD-44DD-8DE0-E737546B8C20.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
OP
Hanknhoney

Hanknhoney

May 3, 2022
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and honey
Any update?
Yes… last week we blew some stitches via pooping I think.. got staples added. Then today we had fluid drain due to Sonoma. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ so more rest more lamp shade … somehow she is getting super restless crated so I’ve got to knock her out more.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Hanknhoney Yes our Bentley had a Seroma. Honey's body will adsorb the fluid eventually. With Bentley we used moist heat to the area using a damp washcloth. Warm the damp washcloth in the microwave for about a minute. Then we wrapped the washcloth in an old T-Shirt and placed over the affected for 5 minutes 4-5 times a day. This helped.

Limit Honey's activity...no activity except to potty and eat...(i.e. NO running, jumping, climbing, walking, etc.). Practice lay-down and stay.

After a couple of weeks, you will be doing Range of Motion (ROM) exercises.

Doesn't like the crate...well we used ......

IRIS USA 24" Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen with Door, Dog Playpen, Puppy Playpen, for Small and Medium Dogs, Keep Pets Secure, Easy Assemble, Rust-Free, Heavy-Duty Molded Plastic, Customizable, White​

This was purchased from Amazon.

You'll get there Honey. It is just Tincture of Time which is the best medicine in the world. Keep up the great work Mom and Dad...Hank you can't play with your sister. Sorry! :sorry:

OP
Hanknhoney

Hanknhoney

May 3, 2022
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and honey
@Hanknhoney Yes our Bentley had a Seroma. Honey's body will adsorb the fluid eventually. With Bentley we used moist heat to the area using a damp washcloth. Warm the damp washcloth in the microwave for about a minute. Then we wrapped the washcloth in an old T-Shirt and placed over the affected for 5 minutes 4-5 times a day. This helped.

Limit Honey's activity...no activity except to potty and eat...(i.e. NO running, jumping, climbing, walking, etc.). Practice lay-down and stay.

IRIS USA 24" Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen with Door, Dog Playpen, Puppy Playpen, for Small and Medium Dogs, Keep Pets Secure, Easy Assemble, Rust-Free, Heavy-Duty Molded Plastic, Customizable, White​

You'll get there Honey. It is just Tincture of Time which is the best medicine in the world. Keep up the great work Mom and Dad...Hank you can't play with your sister. Sorry! :sorry:
It’s so hard to see them so bummed in the crate…..
I’ll start with the heat on her.., hopefully that helps….
Thank you so much….

OP
Hanknhoney

Hanknhoney

May 3, 2022
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and honey

How did Bentley like that crate you got on Amazon??

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
We had the same thing with my Dan. He developed a seroma, but was able to just absorb it without having to drain it. I would suggest a pen as well if she doesn't like the crate. That's what we've used too and both dogs have done well in it. Ours is just big enough that I could sit with them in it throughout the day, which they enjoyed. We also got them some extra treats/bones that they don't get all the time to help them pass the time. Himalayan yak bones and frozen marrow bones did the trick for them!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.