A "vicious breed" ?

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I am looking for an apartment or house to rent and have been informed by SEVERAL renting agancies that is against the law for them to rent to me in the state in which I live, because Max is a "vicious breed" and would be a danger to neighbors and renters. I'm submitting these photos as proof of viciousness. Frightening, isn't he? :lol:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
especially this one..... :eek: :scared:

attachment.php

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm very scared ......... I don't think I will sleep tonight. Probably be haunted by images of extreme cuddliness!!!

BTW .... go digging ... and make sure that your state does in fact consider english bulldogs a "vicious breed"!!!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Sadly, breed bans are becoming more common with rental property due to the insurance side of things. Somewhere here in Georgia, some folks fought a Pit Bull breed ban for the county and won with a ruling of something to the nature that Pit Bulls are technically not a pure breed and are exempt from breed bans. This was several, several months back, so I don't recall the exact verbiage.

It's an old statistic, but several years ago, I believe Retrievers topped the list of dog bites reported. You may want to look into digging up more recent information like this if you plan on fighting it. Good luck!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Check with the local city hall - NOT THE REALTOR - to find out about local dog laws and if any breed-specific measures are in place or are being considered. The realtor's probably don't even know the difference of one breed from another.

Your pics are adorable!

Last edited:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I just did a bit of research n the only wv laws I found pertaining to breed specific legislation was on pit bulls :( which I love as well!!!! I seriously think ppl only hear "bull" n automatically assume it's a "pit" bull not a bull "dog"!!!!!!! Honestly my sister hates pit bulls says shes petrified of them so we were walking one day I saw one asked if we could pet her, owner said yes so we did and my sister loved her!!!!! Right b4 we walked away I asked if she was pure pit or mixed n the lady replied pure and my sisters jaw hit the ground!!!! Sadly 3/4 of ppl who r "terrified" of pit bulls don't even know what an actual pit looks like!!!!!! So now that I've rambled about my second favorite breed of dog lol ur boy is so scary I'm shaking in my boots :p he's adorable n looks very cuddly :) good luck with ur search!!!!!

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I have checked local and state statutues. It seems to be more about the insurance that realty companies must carry, and therein the language is written so broadly it includes all breeds with "bulldog" in the name...even Frenchies.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Ahhhh and most "legislation" has pit bulls listed as "pit bull dogs" makes sense now but it's not fair to any dog really it's almost like racial profiling!!!!!

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
Max is reading up on the laws. Poor little dear, I don't have the heart to tell him that's not the right book.

attachment.php

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Max is reading up on the laws. Poor little dear, I don't have the heart to tell him that's not the right book.

attachment.php

That's adorable! Love love this picture :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I just did a bit of research n the only wv laws I found pertaining to breed specific legislation was on pit bulls :( which I love as well!!!! I seriously think ppl only hear "bull" n automatically assume it's a "pit" bull not a bull "dog"!!!!!!! Honestly my sister hates pit bulls says shes petrified of them so we were walking one day I saw one asked if we could pet her, owner said yes so we did and my sister loved her!!!!! Right b4 we walked away I asked if she was pure pit or mixed n the lady replied pure and my sisters jaw hit the ground!!!! Sadly 3/4 of ppl who r "terrified" of pit bulls don't even know what an actual pit looks like!!!!!! So now that I've rambled about my second favorite breed of dog lol ur boy is so scary I'm shaking in my boots :p he's adorable n looks very cuddly :) good luck with ur search!!!!!

Very well said! People pet my Chanel all the time and then as they are petting they ask me what she is and I tell them she is a pitbull and they back up but then realize wow she is a good dog :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

attachment.php

Lol here I was reading and my blood was starting to boil and out comes this post.... Thank you for the huge smile!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I have to admit that I HAVE been very irritated on this issue. I've found several apartments and at least three different houses, gone through all the trouble of showing it to the kids, application process, etc., to get denied at the very end, even though the place clearly says they will rent to dog owners. This has been through about half a dozen different realtors, and the story is always the same. But having silly Max is worth whatever we have to go through. He is such a little clown, keeps us smiling all the time. :)

Maybe next time I will tell them he is a pug-boxer mix... a Poxer ? lol

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
First of all - your pics are just adorable and made me smile!
2nd of all this really ticks me off. I've had several people come up to me and tell me "good luck" with my dog since EBs are so nasty and vicious. That is just plain ignorance. One guy that walked into our vets office told me that as he walked in with 3 terrier type dogs. His dogs immediately started to snarl at another dog that got to close. All the while, Howard was hiding under a bench! Yup he's sure vicious!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
No matter how well trained your dog is, dog-owners are discriminated against when renting property. we got nailed by our landlord (illegally) when we brought Lola as a puppy home. She told us to promise to replace the new carpeting in the house or get rid of the puppy. we agreed because we didn't want a hassle, but it was totally illegal what she asked. No one can be denied rental because of a dog, Toronto is a dog-friendly city. but 'allergies' come up in the ad to deter people. Lola had 10 or less accidents in the house when she was 3-6 months old, and the frikken cat pukes on the carpet at least once a week! cats ok, dogs no? :) well, we're not replacing the carpet if it's not damaged that's for sure. but we're also not looking for a new place since we know it will be a fight at every turn. so sad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online