General Question 1st Heat, Swollen Vulva

tammympack

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston Churchill , Queen Elizabeth II
Hello! Just joined- 1st post.

My 7 mo old OEB is experiencing her 1st heat. Her vulva is very swollen. Is that normal? I also have a 3 yr old male (intact) that believe Lizzy needs help keeping it clean. Iā€™m guessing his (help) may be contributing to the swelling. Iā€™m scheduling an appointment to see the vet for a wellness check, but getting in takes forever. Thanks for your feedback (in advance).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hello! Just joined- 1st post.

My 7 mo old OEB is experiencing her 1st heat. Her vulva is very swollen. Is that normal? I also have a 3 yr old male (intact) that believe Lizzy needs help keeping it clean. Iā€™m guessing his (help) may be contributing to the swelling. Iā€™m scheduling an appointment to see the vet for a wellness check, but getting in takes forever. Thanks for your feedback (in advance).

Their lady bits do get swollen during a heat. If your male dog is still intact, they should probably be kept separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It is very normal. You most definitely need to keep them separate. She is much too young to have puppies and it happens in a blink of an eye when the time is "right".

Members online

No members online now.