General Question 11-week old puppy doesn't wag her tail?

verypineapple

May 5, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lisa
Hello! I picked up an 8-week old English bulldog puppy from a great breeder about three weeks ago. She's now 11-weeks old, and we're totally in love with her. Lots of energy, very sassy, and a overall a great puppy.

She has some puppy traits that we are working on, but seem normal for her young age (biting / growling, touch-and-go potty training, barking for attention). My one concern is that she has never really wagged her tail (or wiggled her body, since she really doesn't have much of a tail!) She seems happy to see us, and loves to sleep on us / play with us, so I don't think she's sad or upset. She had an upper respiratory infection when we first got her but now is healed and has lots of energy.

So my questions for any experienced owners out there - is this normal? Will she perhaps eventually start to wag her tail when she's a bit older, or do some happy bulldogs just not express joy in this way? Alternatively, should we be doing something differently to make her happier?

Thanks so much in advance for anyone able to help!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Our Monty never ever wagged his stump of a tail or wiggled. He just calmly walked over to us and leaned a little bit. Buster moves his tail a little but does what I call the Texas two-step. He picks his front feet up quickly one at a time, like he is doing a little dance. All dogs are different.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
A lot of bullies can't wag their tails for one reason or another. Many times like mine when they try they wind up wagging their whole rear end.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Many adult Bulldogs donā€™t wag their corkscrews, or stumps, or cinnamon buns, or stingers, or flags...
Some do some donā€™t.
Never seen a puppy wag a tail of any sort.
Worry not...theyā€™re happy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gangā€¦ nothing to worry about. My guy doesnā€™t have a tail so when he does ā€˜wagā€™ it is more of a dance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidNBear

Apr 11, 2021
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Iā€™d assume itā€™s just something about her personality, bears little tail tries itā€™s hardest to wag and sometimes heā€™s successful. Most of the time heā€™s running at us sideways and his hips are going 90 miles an hour [emoji1787][emoji1787]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™d assume itā€™s just something about her personality, bears little tail tries itā€™s hardest to wag and sometimes heā€™s successful. Most of the time heā€™s running at us sideways and his hips are going 90 miles an hour [emoji1787][emoji1787]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].... sideways run!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.