10 month old with terrible skin problem

jmiller83108

Oct 2, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel aka Buddy
For the first 6-7 months he was perfectly healthy and out of nowhere my sweet baby started developing papules/pustules all over his body. These are filled with a little bit of pus but mainly blood and tend to be dark colored. (They pop when he plays with his big brother Zeus who is a boxer) They tend to be on the top of his body. At first, we treated for bacterial infection with an antibiotic, prednisone and antibacterial shampoo. The only time his skin looks good is when he is on 10 mg twice a day. Once we start dropping/tapering the dosage the bumps start reappearing. They though it could be late onset of puppy strangles but I don't think it is the case. Has anyone experienced this?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Can you post some pictures?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There's a lot of possible reasons including mange, ringworm, bacterial or fungal infection, cornification disorders, atopic dermatitis and FOOD ALLERGIES.
For food allergies- try this first- A simple change in protein to one not tried before in a limited ingredient product might solve the problem. Benefit is usually seen within 4-6 weeks, but it can take up to 12 weeks. eg. Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw Spruce, frozen raw duck

For bacterial, fungal, mange,ringworm - need skin scrape

For atopic dermatitis- Cytopoint inj every 4-6 weeks, much safer than long term prednisone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
For the first 6-7 months he was perfectly healthy and out of nowhere my sweet baby started developing papules/pustules all over his body. These are filled with a little bit of pus but mainly blood and tend to be dark colored. (They pop when he plays with his big brother Zeus who is a boxer) They tend to be on the top of his body. At first, we treated for bacterial infection with an antibiotic, prednisone and antibacterial shampoo. The only time his skin looks good is when he is on 10 mg twice a day. Once we start dropping/tapering the dosage the bumps start reappearing. They though it could be late onset of puppy strangles but I don't think it is the case. Has anyone experienced this?

Can you post photos? What brand of food are you feeding, what protein? How old is he?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.