Sandy took Waggles out to potty this AM...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
and returned with a baby Cardinal. I spotted Mom and Dad Cardinal on the neighbors shed watching closely. Sandy quickly placed the little one nearby to parents and they took it from there...resuming flight school lessons. Didn't think to get a pic and it was probably better to get the little one back where it needed to be...but here are a couple from years gone by. So glad Spring is finally here.

Goldfinch1.jpg

Hummingbird1.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Such beautiful coloursā€¦ā€¦.

Today, I saw a hawk hovering above me n Sadie running n barking. I see Sadie running towards the chickens n I follow. I canā€™t see any chickens anywhere. They all ran to the coop lolll.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
We had a place with a bush in the neighbor's yard that hung over a retaining wall, overhanging a paved walkway. We once heard more chirping than normal from the birds outside and found a very tiny baby under the bush. We found a nest directly above and placed it back in there. A week or so later the parents were at the back door, hollering, absolutely blasting at the back door. We came out and they immediately flew back over to their bush and began hollering again. Sure enough the baby, now fully feathered, was out of the nest. This time it was on the walkway, dazed but able to move. We helped it back into the nest which it quickly hopped out of onto a limb... Kids!!! šŸ¤£ Afterwards, for that season and the following year, it felt like the parents would come sing at us when we were outside.

I'm probably anthropomorphising the whole thing, but it certainly felt like a real connection.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Such beautiful coloursā€¦ā€¦.

Today, I saw a hawk hovering above me n Sadie running n barking. I see Sadie running towards the chickens n I follow. I canā€™t see any chickens anywhere. They all ran to the coop lolll.
Chickens are not very smart...but maybe just smart enough to stay away from that hawk. Do the dogs guard the chickens?
I have a friend/customer that recently got 50 or so chicks. They are pretty much grown now 12-16 weeks old) and he's expecting eggs within a few months. He bought all of his house trim from me and I supply him with free wood shavings
We had a place with a bush in the neighbor's yard that hung over a retaining wall, overhanging a paved walkway. We once heard more chirping than normal from the birds outside and found a very tiny baby under the bush. We found a nest directly above and placed it back in there. A week or so later the parents were at the back door, hollering, absolutely blasting at the back door. We came out and they immediately flew back over to their bush and began hollering again. Sure enough the baby, now fully feathered, was out of the nest. This time it was on the walkway, dazed but able to move. We helped it back into the nest which it quickly hopped out of onto a limb... Kids!!! šŸ¤£ Afterwards, for that season and the following year, it felt like the parents would come sing at us when we were outside.

I'm probably anthropomorphising the whole thing, but it certainly felt like a real connection.
what a nice experience...I love birds of all kinds. Sandy especially loves Pelicans and all shore birds. Every year we go to Oak Island to fish, I cast net for the Mullet running through the waves; filling coolers for the Sea Biscuit Wildlife Shelter. Mary Ellen lets Sandy help her with feeding and occasionally treatment of the birds. Pelicans Tim and Tessa are always there to greet us. They get Doves, Gulls, Oyster Catchers, Pelicans, all kinds of Owls, Hawks, Osprey, Herons...you never know what they will have there. It quite entertaining.

Sea Biscuit

They have a Facebook page too.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Jake couldnā€™t care less about chickens unless itā€™s in his bowl, Nyala sits at the gate n waits if it wasnt closed right. Guaranteed sheā€™ll go after them. I donā€™t trust Miss Goodie 2 shoe. Sadie I donā€™t know. Sheā€™s not 2 yet n if I raise my voice she backs off. That being said, I do split up arguments about to start cause of jealousy or possession moments. When she opens her mouth n them pearly teeth appears šŸ˜²

Yes chickens starts laying around 20weeks.

@oscarmayer

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I too am a bird lover, always have been. When we first few years in our current house, we had multiple nests under our deck. I LOVED it... hubby not so much. we have a wooded easement behind us so we get to see many types of birds, hawks, even an eagle and blue heron at times.

Members online

No members online now.