Ramp loading success!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Because Tebow (aka Fatty Arbuckles) has gotten so heavy, I had to do something. Reviews all over the place, stores, forums, etc were discouraging, I gave it a shot. I bought a Trixie ramp from Chewy. I first placed in on a short cedar chest-18" high-and baited him. No problem. (He's a fool for bacon flavored soft Milk Bones.) Moved it to a 21" high chest. Super! Tonight it went on the SUV, bumper height 25" which makes the ramp rather steep. I kept a hand on the top to make sure it didn't slide off the car. Ahhh the Milk Bones did the trick! I had to slow him down lest he slide too fast or put a foot over the edge. We don't want a bad experience to foil this success. He must've had fun because now he just emptied the box of extra blankets and beds and is bouncing all over. I tried to upload a video but an .mov extension is not allowed. I did figure out how to get a screenshot of him though. Now has a YouTube link!

Attachments

• IMG_2565.PNG
    IMG_2565.PNG
    64.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He looks almost…graceful!
Glad to hear he's doing well

Last edited:
OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I'm glad I gave it a shot. Most sites that sell these ramps say their dogs won't climb, the sandpaper is too rough, the ramp is wobbly or too steep. Maybe Tebow is a little more receptive because he has to climb a small ramp at the dog shows. Yet we started off with low heights, gradually working up to 25", bumper height. It took only 4 runs. The ramp is a little wobbly if he goes up quickly so I keep a hand on it. I also used little treats to coax him & that didn't take much! I noticed a guy in our neighborhood had a ramp for his Corgis so I hit the brakes to ask him how that went. He said it was easy to train them but he replaced the sandpaper surface with carpet. Tebow doesn't seem to mind the sandpaper (it might help in trimming his nails!). So if your bulldog gets too heavy to safely lift or you don't want them jumping out, risking a leg or back injury, or you hurting your back trying to lift them, a ramp is definitely worth a try. Mine is a Trixie model from Chewy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you can load to youtube and then post the link here.

so happy it was a success

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking boy --- he is very food motivated :ROFLMAO:

Members online

No members online now.