My aged bully has scaly sores/never stops

MajorBully

Jun 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Major, Moses(RIP)
Help!

Major has re-occurring crusty spots popping up all the time (Back and legs)His hair is easily pluckEd from these places. What is this? Heā€™s 7 1/2 years old.

He has gone through many antibiotics and steroids and it still keeps coming back.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Can you post pics?!! Has the vet done a skin scrape to rule out mange or a staph infection?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like it might be staph infectionā€¦. Need strong round of antibiotics and you also need to strengthen his immune systemā€¦.. Keifer, raw goats milk, sauerkraut, or Herbsmith microflora

as Tracey askedā€¦ can you post pictures! How old is your boy? What are you feeding.. brand and protein?

Last edited:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Agree with aforementioned...especially the skin scraping/sensitivity test to make sure you are dosing the correct, most effective antibiotic.
Many Vets will give too short of a course of medications. Some dogs need at least 6 weeks.

Last edited:

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop has these crusty, sometimes greasy looking areas on his back and left flank every few months since he was 9 yrs old. Chunks of hair would come out and leaving raw skin underneath. If I touched him near one of these spots, his back legs would start to twitch. The first time he was treated with oral antibiotics and Derma-Vet ointment. After a couple of these episodes, another vet said this was a fungal issue and suggested Sebazole shampoos once a week. Fortunately Porkchop loves baths. The bad part is it's hard to do this regularly in the winter. He doesn't like being blow dried. When the spots pop up, I still apply the Derma-Vet ointment. Based on other comments, I think I'll ask the vet for a skin scraping and staph check next time this pops up.

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
Whatā€™s with the twitching ?? My Geoff does that too. If I gently rub his belly, groin or thigh he starts twitching.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Whatā€™s with the twitching ?? My Geoff does that too. If I gently rub his belly, groin or thigh he starts twitching.
That might just be a normal reflex. My dachshunds would have twitches when they got belly rubs. My horse does a leg jitter when she gets a rub just beyond her "belly button". With Porkchop, it seems to only happen when I touch his sore spots and the leg twitches are very vigorious, whether it's when he's in the bathtub, standing up or laying down. The vet said his actions were because he was 'itchy' and not related to the neurological damage in his rear end, and it only happens when he has these fungal spots or whatever they are.

Members online

No members online now.