MRSP skin infection help please….

Mimi’s crew

Oct 15, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, Nellie and Hank
Hello I am new to your community and happy to be here!
My 5 y/o Norman Arthur suffers with allergies and is on his second bout of MSRP which skin scapes proving he is now more antibiotic resistant this time around. His dermatologist has unfortunately passed away and his vet wanted to put him on a compounded medication that I shouldn’t touch with my bare hands bc it could give me anemia… ahhh no thanks!
He’s been getting multiple baths a week with douxo chlorhexidine shampoo. Just found and ordered a 4% shampoo.
Also have him at a holistic nutritionist but not sure if it’s working so good, only been 2 weeks.
Advise?? Thoughts??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Luckily we haven't had this problem.... But over the years, NuStock has worked wonders on all kinds of things here(and elswhere.)on many kinds of animals,A few that had been given up on. I would sure give it a try. Could try it on one area and see if it does. There is a drug used on hard cases. It's called Rifampicin?
It may just be experimental, I don't know. @Mimi’s crew Welcome to EBN. Sorry about your Norman.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like @Manydogs i would use NuStock. Where you mentioned “which skin scapes proving he is now more antibiotic resistant,” you need to build his immune system or you’ll always have ski issues with Norman.

I work more on the holistic approach n try to stick with food source n not supplements “if” possible. If your dog is on kibbles, you would need to start using raw organs as toppers. Liver would be best. 1/4 cup 2x a day. Also “fermented“ food like sauerkraut. Fermentation puts the good gut flora back in the dog’s(humans) gut.

Rule of thumb, if a pet even humans takes any antibiotics, add fermented food to to diet immediately. Kefir, Greek yogurt n not sugar free etc, full fat Greek yogurt.

OP
M

Mimi’s crew

Oct 15, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, Nellie and Hank
Thank you both for your input!
Out of all my bullys the past 30years Norman is by far the pickiest eater I have ever had..,. He over smells everything and he’s a chewer! My previous bullys just inhaled and swallowed. Norman has mastered spitting out the tiniest pill/supplement, hidden in food!!
I will definitely look into the NuStock and I like the idea of adding raw toppers to his kibble. He likes Greek yogurt sometimes but I know he would never give sauerkraut a second sniff 😂
Thank you again and I will keep you posted!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome and sorry to hear you are having issues! I third trying the Nustock and it won't hurt giving it a try. My Frenchie is allergic to everything green outside and I used to give him weekly baths with the chlorohexidine shampoo and still use it for him.

Do you know what he is allergic too? That would help to eliminate those allergens if possible. Some people are against it but my Frenchie also gets the Cytopoint injection every few months which has helped him tremendously. Otherwise his skin would be an absolute mess.

OP
M

Mimi’s crew

Oct 15, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, Nellie and Hank
Welcome and sorry to hear you are having issues! I third trying the Nustock and it won't hurt giving it a try. My Frenchie is allergic to everything green outside and I used to give him weekly baths with the chlorohexidine shampoo and still use it for him.

Do you know what he is allergic too? That would help to eliminate those allergens if possible. Some people are against it but my Frenchie also gets the Cytopoint injection every few months which has helped him tremendously. Otherwise his skin would be an absolute mess.
Hello there and thank you for your input!! Norman gets chlorohexidine baths multiple times a week and they help a lot! He has also gotten cytopoint injections with good results in the past but they do not last as long as they used to so I am trying other options so he doesn't need to get them so frequently.
Just switched his food to limited ingredient kangaroo and lentil based. I take him to a nutrition response testing practitioner and she tested him for different foods and chicken, turkey and or beef doesn't agree with him. Mr. Picky Eater is liking the kangaroo at the moment and his body response well to it. He is on whole food supplements to get his liver to to drain and clean out his system. I know it is a bit of a far fetched approach but we are giving it a shot. Time will tell....

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello there and thank you for your input!! Norman gets chlorohexidine baths multiple times a week and they help a lot! He has also gotten cytopoint injections with good results in the past but they do not last as long as they used to so I am trying other options so he doesn't need to get them so frequently.
Just switched his food to limited ingredient kangaroo and lentil based. I take him to a nutrition response testing practitioner and she tested him for different foods and chicken, turkey and or beef doesn't agree with him. Mr. Picky Eater is liking the kangaroo at the moment and his body response well to it. He is on whole food supplements to get his liver to to drain and clean out his system. I know it is a bit of a far fetched approach but we are giving it a shot. Time will tell....
Thankfully Jax can go a few months between shots so I don't feel so bad in him getting them. I feel like the skin and coat supplement I give helps with that as well. He also gets fed a raw diet. Have you looked into that? While it won't necessarily cure anything, it could help with boosting his immune system.

OP
M

Mimi’s crew

Oct 15, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, Nellie and Hank
Thankfully Jax can go a few months between shots so I don't feel so bad in him getting them. I feel like the skin and coat supplement I give helps with that as well. He also gets fed a raw diet. Have you looked into that? While it won't necessarily cure anything, it could help with boosting his immune system.
What is the skin and coat supplement you give to Jax?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
...doing a bleach soak on their dog that had MSRA. I know nothing about it but thought I would mention it.
Here are the instructions for a bleach soak: Animal Skin Clinic of St Louis - Bleach Soak

It is a very similar soak to the Chlorhexidine soak that I promote, however they say "DO NOT TOWEL DRY". Which makes a lot of theoretical sense. I have to say, though, DO NOT DRIP DRY either. You will need to make sure the bulldog is completely dry - not using a towel makes sense to make sure the solution stays on the dog's skin and coat. I think I will adjust my Chlorhexidine soak approach when I do the next one and see how no towel goes.

Since you have been doing Chlorhexidine baths I have to ask: what product are you using? is it a shampoo? do you need to rinse it?

OP
M

Mimi’s crew

Oct 15, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, Nellie and Hank
Here are the instructions for a bleach soak: Animal Skin Clinic of St Louis - Bleach Soak

It is a very similar soak to the Chlorhexidine soak that I promote, however they say "DO NOT TOWEL DRY". Which makes a lot of theoretical sense. I have to say, though, DO NOT DRIP DRY either. You will need to make sure the bulldog is completely dry - not using a towel makes sense to make sure the solution stays on the dog's skin and coat. I think I will adjust my Chlorhexidine soak approach when I do the next one and see how no towel goes.

Since you have been doing Chlorhexidine baths I have to ask: what product are you using? is it a shampoo? do you need to rinse it?
I have read about the diluted bleach soak also. I did a bit more of medical research and it seems 4% chlorhexidine is one of the only other thing to kill the MRSP infection. I just bought TrizChlor 4 shampoo and I love it!!!! Scabby areas are getting less and less and hair is growing back in the areas that has the crusty infection.

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
We use Cytopoint on Ralph every month, expensive but it does clear him up.

Attachments

• 9B4AFB79-D657-44DC-9141-53F86F2BEC25.JPG
    9B4AFB79-D657-44DC-9141-53F86F2BEC25.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 10

Members online

No members online now.