Leery of trying lavender oil for ears

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Well, Sophie got another ear infection. Twice now this season her ear has completely closed off and I've had to give her prednisone just to open it up enough to get meds into it. I have looked here at using lavender oil diluted with coconut oil for ear cleaning, but the all-knowing internet is so full of contradictions I am worried. Some sites say it is not safe at all, some say it's only safe if a vet has okay'd it, and others still say as long as she doesn't ingest and it's diluted properly it's totally safe. Can some of you give me your recommendations? I appreciate it so much. I want to keep her infection free for the rest of her life - she's going to be 9 in August!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, Sophie got another ear infection. Twice now this season her ear has completely closed off and I've had to give her prednisone just to open it up enough to get meds into it. I have looked here at using lavender oil diluted with coconut oil for ear cleaning, but the all-knowing internet is so full of contradictions I am worried. Some sites say it is not safe at all, some say it's only safe if a vet has okay'd it, and others still say as long as she doesn't ingest and it's diluted properly it's totally safe. Can some of you give me your recommendations? I appreciate it so much. I want to keep her infection free for the rest of her life - she's going to be 9 in August!
Reg: “lavender oil diluted with coconut oil for ear cleaning”

I’ve been doing lavender n fractionated coconut oil on Nyala‘s ears for over 7yrs. She has another mix for her tail pocket. I use/used it on all my dogs. Jake who has an extremely high threshold n when it comes to pain. When we got him he had very red inner ears. I started to use lavender n fractionated coconut oil. Took a few days the redness started to disappear. When to the vet for his 1st checkup as I got him at 2.5 yrs old. Mention to my vet to check his ears while at it. Vet’s said…..“Whatever you’re owing, keep doing it” as it was going away on its own. Told him what I was using n he said “good stuff”.

So up to you n I’m most certainly NOT telling you what to do. You decide as it’s your dog. As you probably have notice, I’m more on the holistic side.

You can start with:
2oz of FCO
8drops of lavender, brand DoTerra
Shake/mix very well to blend properly
Dip a bit of a cotton ball n swipe ABOVE the ear canal
Massage from the outside so it seeps slowly on its own.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
Reg: “lavender oil diluted with coconut oil for ear cleaning”

I’ve been doing lavender n fractionated coconut oil on Nyala‘s ears for over 7yrs. She has another mix for her tail pocket. I use/used it on all my dogs. Jake who has an extremely high threshold n when it comes to pain. When we got him he had very red inner ears. I started to use lavender n fractionated coconut oil. Took a few days the redness started to disappear. When to the vet for his 1st checkup as I got him at 2.5 yrs old. Mention to my vet to check his ears while at it. Vet’s said…..“Whatever you’re owing, keep doing it” as it was going away on its own. Told him what I was using n he said “good stuff”.

So up to you n I’m most certainly NOT telling you what to do. You decide as it’s your dog. As you probably have notice, I’m more on the holistic side.

You can start with:
2oz of FCO
8drops of lavender, brand DoTerra
Shake/mix very well to blend properly
Dip a bit of a cotton ball n swipe ABOVE the ear canal
Massage from the outside so it seeps slowly on its own.
Thank you, I appreciate your response very much. And I agree with you on being more holistic, although there are some things I KNOW to go to a vet on. But if I can keep her comfy without the vet bills then I am game to try! I already have the DoTerra oil and now I just need the FCO.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Helene knows oils and how to use them properly. She has you covered.

Members online

No members online now.