Duoxo Wipes

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
I just bought some of these because the mal-a-ket wipes seems to burn my dogs nose rope.
can you tell me how i use these to clean the nose rope? do i need to dry the nose rope after or just leave it? how often should i use them?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I just bought some of these because the mal-a-ket wipes seems to burn my dogs nose rope.
can you tell me how i use these to clean the nose rope? do i need to dry the nose rope after or just leave it? how often should i use them?
How to clean the rope with the Duoxo wipe:
First, make sure you don't get it into their eyes.
Open the pocket and put the wipe in and let it sit for a moment. If the area is crusty, let it sit until it's no longer crusty.
Depending on how sore the area is will guide how to wipe the area. It sounded like yours is already under control, so you can just wipe the area like you're wiping a baby's butt. If the area is sore/tender then you gotta be gentle as you wipe the area. Depending on how dirty the area is, you may need to use more than one wipe.

Totally optional but helps: I believe they are 3% Chlorhexidine? if that's the case you can dilute it a little bit - add a tiny bit (just a few drops) of distilled water to it so it's more damp.
Also: You can pick up a gallon of Chlorhexidine for pretty cheap if you search for veterinarian grade, then you can use it with a soft cloth or cotton and save a lot of money vs buying the Duoxo wipes.

Do I need to dry the rope after or just leave it?
ALWAYS DRY. Always. Damp = infection.
And follow up after drying the area really well with a powdering of corn starch which will keep it dry for you

How often should I use them
You probably only need to use them when there is an issue. Chlorhexidine is a pharmaceutical grade antimicrobial soap for cleaning wounds and what not. I use it every few days for problem areas just to keep issues from never happening (and since it's fairly cheap to make your own wipes with the bulk solution). But you can get away with other gentle cleaners (like baby wipes) when there isn't an issue - just make sure to dry the area and keep it dry (and also powder with corn starch 😉). With gentle cleaners there's no reason not to clean the rope pocket every day - that is a high traffic spot for dirt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I don’t use this type , but many do love them.

I use witch Hazel on a cotton pad, it has a natural drying agent … no need to dry the area after using

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard

benny - thank you for the directions. i will start on the duoxo today and if that doesnt work ill try the witch hazel.​

2BullyMama - can you tell me the exact brand you buy and where? i love the drying agent part so that i dont need to do the drying myself.​

OP
M

marshall351

Oct 26, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hildegard
also, i feel like its the drying agent that is burning my dog.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
also, i feel like its the drying agent that is burning my dog.
You can get witch hazel from the drug store or the pharmacy section of the grocery store. It is normally near the alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.

When it isn’t infected I recommend just using a free and clear baby wipe and powder with cornstarch

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep… I get store brand at CVS, Target, Costco, etc

Members online

No members online now.