Puking Bullie/ Stop Breathing!!! help!

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Grays Harbor County, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
I have a 4 month old bullie and this morning before I was headed to work she started to gage like she was going to puke. So I let her try and get it out but she couldn't and then she started to pass out and she had a blank look in her eyes like she wasn't there at all. I had to stick my fingers down her throut to make her puke. Finally she puked but she didn't act like her self at all. and when it can up it was very thick. This is the second time I have had this happen that she has tried to puke and actually fell over. Could anyone give advice of what I should do or what is going on. Thank You Soooo Much!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What does the vomit look like -- I know you said thick, but is it foamy or yellow?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh no. Sounds like she might have an obstruction, like she is trying to throw up something that is stuck. Being only 4 months I can imagine it is possible she ate something she shouldn't. Hope its nothing serious!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
You really need to talk to your vet asap. We can give you advice but your vet is the only one who can really help in an emergency. A passing out not breathing bully seems like an emergency to me. Good luck and keep us updated

OP
J

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
She woke up out of a dead sleep on our bed and she acted like she was going to puke... It seems like the puke gets stuck in her airway and then she can't breath. It was a yellow and her food from lastnight she ate pieces of it were in it and some grass but that was it! but it looked slimey thick too. I had to rush to work cuz I was already late and I talked to my finacee and he said she is acting fine now playing. But it just seems a few times she has tried to puke she passes out.
And at the beginning of August my fiancee had surgery that took away over the time he was supposed to be there and this was our first time leaving our babies alone. I didn't even think about taking the rawhides away while we were gone. anyways we came home about 6 hrs later and my Bullie was acting weird and looked really tired then she puked up a rawhide and 4 inches long of it up and then she collapsed about an hr later and stopped breathing that she was going to die so rushed her to vet and she aspirated her vomit into her lungs and she had to stay the night get treatments then she was totally fine when i picked her up but seems like since then she may have trouble with her airway or it did damage! I just didn't know if this is common or anyone knew of this happening once in a while. We NOW know both pups can't have any kind of Rawhides! Never knew they were that horrible for dogs til i expierenced this! The thing is where we live is not a big town we would have to drive a few hrs to get to a vet that KNOWS about bullies and I would do anything for her so I just wanted to check here before I take further steps. Sometimes I swear Jade or bulldogs in general are harder to take of then babies! =) Thank you all for your input its soooo scary!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Sounds like what happened to Jack earlier this month.
I thought it was an upset stomach due to a recent food change or possibly had eaten some grass that had insecticides...
I waited the entire weekend before taking him to the vet..
Once there, an Xray revealed he had eaten a large piece of a blanket as well as a Bra strap.! .... yup.. he has a thing for bras...! ( takes after his Dad.! )

I wouldn't wait to see if he gets better. Take him to the vet and since its still recent, the vet may be able to somehow force the stomach to contract and expulse whatever he may have swallowed... If you wait longer, as I did, the obstruction will travel further down into the intestines which will require surgery....

Keep us posted....

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
One of our other members had a similar situation, Emmit had swallowed a raw hide and the knot got stuck in his throat. He was able to breath but not eat etc....kept gagging and coughing up, needless to say, emergency surgery. No raw hides, I don't even do pigs ears or anything that can get soft and slimey. I would recommend taking him to the vet. If you don't have time off work, will your vet allow you to drop off early and pick up?

OP
J

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
I just called my vet and the receptionist there has a bulldog so I talked to her and she said it definitely sounds like shes not getting enough oxygen so she wants me to take her in to get ckecked for her nostrals and her esophagus! Cross fingers its all fixable! I don't know what I would do without her she's my baby!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I am thinking and praying for you.. You did the right thing calling the vet... keeping good thoughts PLEASE update us when you can!

OP
J

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
Thank you guys sooo much! Definitely need those prayers...they said she may not be able to get fixed for the reason of putting her under and she stops breathing.

Has ANYONE ever heard of the "head shakes" or "tremors" bullies get. When we purchased our pup we got a lot of papers and info on bullies and that was one of the concerns about them getting those and it also said it was after they went under anesthetics that they started to get these shakes!! If that is the case then I'd rather not have her fixed just so she wouldn't get those! They said it doesn't harm them that it actually scares us more then them...they don't even know its happening.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thank you guys sooo much! Definitely need those prayers...they said she may not be able to get fixed for the reason of putting her under and she stops breathing.

Has ANYONE ever heard of the "head shakes" or "tremors" bullies get. When we purchased our pup we got a lot of papers and info on bullies and that was one of the concerns about them getting those and it also said it was after they went under anesthetics that they started to get these shakes!! If that is the case then I'd rather not have her fixed just so she wouldn't get those! They said it doesn't harm them that it actually scares us more then them...they don't even know its happening.

Head tremors can happen to any bulldog, at any time, at any age, I have NEVER heard that anesthesia has anything to do with it. Let me search EBN, we have a ton of head tremor info on here.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was going to say to get to the vet asap. Also, is the vet you are taking her to a bulldog vet? If they say that they can't "fix" it, I would get to the bulldog vet for a second opinion.

I am so sorry this is happening to her and to you. We will send as many positive thoughts your way as we can. Keep us posted.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=3355]jadesmomma[/MENTION] Dozer got them . They are known as idiopathic head tremors. His happened when he had low blood sugar. Vanilla ice cream stopped them immediately. They are totally harmless and are sometimes outgrown. His did not come from anesthesia, just genetics.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online