Allergies

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver all of a sudden has a very red, very puffy face and is extremely itchy. I've given him benadryl and since my vet is closed already tonight, I am taking him first thing in the morning. I have no idea what could have triggered this episode. We haven't changed foods, treats, laundry soap or anything. Any suggestions to try to make him comfortable besides the benadryl until Dr. Bauer can see him tomorrow? I'm leaning toward that it's an ear infection since his black ear seems really red and his fold and that side of his face is really swollen compared to the other side of his face. Here are some pictures so you can see, somewhat, what I'm talking about. 100_0930.jpg100_0932.jpg100_0933.jpg

If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help. It seems like this week, it has been one thing after the other with him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
POOR BABY... looks like it could be a reaction to a bug bite... happen to Banks and we had to take her to the emergency vet becaue her breathing was very heavy and labored. Are there any hives?
Benedryl is all you can do... watch him closely.

This was Banks with her first hive reaction.... she rubbed up against a tree she is allergic to.

IMG_4997.jpg IMG_4999.jpg IMG_5001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
no there are no hives. Just the red itchy face and he tends to want to rub the right side (where his black ear is) more than the other side.  When I looked in his ear it's really red and ugly looking in there and the area right under it is really puffy like things are draining down into that area, so that's why I'm leaning on an ear infection. Luckily I have no classes tomorrow so as soon as the vet's office is open, he's going in. The middle picture is to show how the one side of his face is puffier than the other side. He is just extremely red and his eyes are watery and swollen. Fortunately, his breathing is fine, I have been keeping a close eye on that, believe me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How much benedryl did you give him? Banks is 60 lbs and get 100mg per day

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I gave him 50mg this morning and I'm trying to hold off on his night time dose as close to 9 pm as I can. He weighs 60 pounds too.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
these poor bullies with their allergies etc.. I am not sure what it could be since it came on suddenly.. but it could be a yeast infection in the ear that spread a bit? hope he gets some relief soon. I would give more benadryl to help with the swelling and itchies.. :( feel so bad

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
awwww poor babies. My vet says to give them Benadryl 3 times a day , morning noon and night. 3 each time. Only Griz gets the Benadryl.
I got some stuff delivered from Amazon.com on Monday that is really drying things up for my crew.

MalAcetic Otic (ear/skin cleanser for pets)
MalAcetic -ULTRA- (flush for dogs, cats and horses)
Mal-A-Ket Wipes

Griz's face was extremely wet all the time, I was drying him up at least 3 times a day and still couldn't keep up.

this stuff seems to work well so far.
I applied to patches of what looked like staph on Jack,............ gone
Jack and Griz, red ears, gone with one application.

Their cases were not as severe as the pictures from [MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
but in any case, I hope you find out soon what will work for them.

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
awwww poor babies. My vet says to give them Benadryl 3 times a day , morning noon and night. 3 each time. Only Griz gets the Benadryl.
I got some stuff delivered from Amazon.com on Monday that is really drying things up for my crew.

MalAcetic Otic (ear/skin cleanser for pets)
MalAcetic -ULTRA- (flush for dogs, cats and horses)
Mal-A-Ket Wipes

Griz's face was extremely wet all the time, I was drying him up at least 3 times a day and still couldn't keep up.

this stuff seems to work well so far.
I applied to patches of what looked like staph on Jack,............ gone
Jack and Griz, red ears, gone with one application.

Their cases were not as severe as the pictures from @Kim Sebastian n Oliver or @2BullyMama
but in any case, I hope you find out soon what will work for them.

I have the mal-a-ket wipes. Got them from the vet when Oliver had an IDC, and use them on his folds when they start looking little irritated. I'm hoping its just an ear infection and not a severe allergic reaction to something. I've been suspicious that he has seasonal allergies because his eyes seem to be runny a little more than Sebastian's and his face sometimes looks a little redder, but this is the worst I've ever seen him. His face is so puffy, he keeps his eyes closed and just gets around by smell! And also, his right eye also seems to be collecting more goop than the other.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh hon im sorry but since its only on his face i would think maybe something to do with that. i dunno maybe the ear is doing it as it does seem to be puffy on that one side more than the other. yes more benadryl till morning. hugs from me and sarah. gosh bullys and their allergies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, hope he gets better soon. Just give him the Benedryl and hope it helps till tomorrow.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
AWWWwww poor baby. I just had an allergy scare with Lola two days ago, but I deduced it was roasted chicken intended for humans instead of boiled chicken meant for bullies. She had hives and a swollen face. Your baby doesn't look like it is systemic/food related. Hope he feels better soon!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Inam not much help for what to do until tomorrow, but my vet just mentioned today that she has been seeing a lot of dogs for allergies! Keep us posted! Tubs sends hugs!

OP
kim n the guys

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, back from the vet and Oliver has double ear infections and his folds are infected from his eyes draining so much. So he is on his Mal-a-ket wipes for his folds twice a day, 20 mg of prednisone (tapered off), 500 mg Cephalexin 3 times a day for 14 days, 8 drops of Mometamax drops in each ear once a day for 7 days. So of course I had to buy him a new toy!
100_0934.jpg100_0935.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for updating us and getting him a toy. Our guys sure like to keep us on our toes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.