cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I got home tonight and saw some blood in the entryway and panicked. I suspected Tate and Finn got into a fight. I quickly looked at each of them and didn't see any obvious injuries. As I was cleaning up the blood, I found a nail. It was Tate's...from his front paw...the one that looks like a "claw". Now he has this "stump" left where the nail used to be. I dabbed some hydrogen peroxide on it and the bleeding stopped already. I'm just wondering if I should have the vet take a look at it or is this something that will just take care of itself. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, walks fine, playful, etc...

Thanku in advance!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh my gosh! I would definitely have a vet look at it. I use to have a Border Collie who tore her dew claw and the vet recommended they be removed which I did. Sorry don't know about a regular claw. Sounds like it should hurt.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea injured one of her nails earlier this summer...it wasn't pulled out but you could see that it was injured in some way. There was blood and she was limping on it with prolonged use of that foot - like on the way home from a walk. Naturally, it was the weekend and Dr. Terry wasn't open. I Googled nail injury and went to work; epsom salt baths for the foot 3X a day, keeping it extraordinarily clean in between. I smeared neosporin on it after each foot bath - she wasn't licking it at all so that worked fine. I tried to wrap gauze and an ace bandage around it - but she would have NONE of that though and I never did get the rubber bootie that was suggested on some website. She stopped favoring it right away and seemed to enjoy the attention of these little foot baths to boot...LOL

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Poor thing. When this happened at daycare we used stiptick powered to stop bleeding and then cleaned it later if part of the nail was still remaining. Most of them were fine. If you keep it clean , he isn't in pain and part of the nail remains he should be ok; HOWEVER if he starts limping he may have gotten an infection and needs to see the vet.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
This happens to our Boston a lot. Probably four tomes a year. When we used to take her in, it was a big production resulting in a big wrap up to her elbow, and $150. I trained myself to treat it at home. If the nail has come off completely and there's no sign of pain, I agree with [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]: give it a swipe with neosporin a few times a day. You can try some gauze and ace bandage overnight. That stump will seal itself and the nail-like material will slowly return.

BUT since this is the first time, a vet check makes sense just to be super safe. Why risk an infection, right?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor guy. Don't really have any thing else to say as I agree just keep it clean and if it seems to be hurting Tate or shows signs of infection then take him to the vet - that's what I would do. :hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ouch. Cutty did this when he was young also. vet gave antibiotics and we were mainly worried about it growing in properly but it did thankfully. Just grows very slow now. For him it was his dew claw and broke off completely at his paw and he was VERY sore for a while anyhow. This was the beginning of his ocd for water out of the hose. lol

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Yikes! I don't have experience with this but others have given you great advice. I would just watch it as well and put some neosporin on it a couple of times a day.

Poor Guy!!!! I sure hope it doesn't hurt too bad :(

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks everybody, for your replies! I didn't get to read any of 'em til now 'cuz my internet has been down all day!! :down: And i just got on. Anyways, i ended up taking Tate in this morning b/c i was worried about an infxn as Tate was licking his "stump" when he woke up. Turns out the vet thought it looked fine, wants me to apply the duoxo pads (chlorhexadine) on it twice a day for 5 days and just keep an eye if it worsens. He offered oral antibiotics at first but then thought about it more and said only if it worsened.

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], this was the dew claw too! i didn't know that's what is was called til today :)

oh, and the good news about this visit was that after Dr.Steve examined him and looked him over, he said that Tate looked "fantastic"! :happydance:
I was such a proud mama! It was very reassuring b/c sometimes i just don't know if i'm doing the right thing w/my boys. Anyways, hearing that was worth the fifty bucks! (I think)!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im so happy its going to be ok. dont have experience with this so no advice to offer but a big yay its ok.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson does this once a year....we clean it up put neosporin on it and wrap it up....it eventually grows back

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.