Gypsy is in Heat

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, because of the mange (which is now gone), the vet would not spay Gypsy at 6 months. Well, she is now in heat at 8 months. I have never had a dog in heat before and I am clueless on how to help her through this. I bought some really cute washable diapers and she is doing ok with those but what else should I be doing? How long is this going to last? How long do you think I have to wait before I get her spayed after this?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol,annie is on her second season,there isnt much you can do really,i dont use anything on annie but as she spends her time in the kitchen/diner i can easily mop the floors,just keep her rear end washed keep an eye out for uti but dont go rushing to the vet if she pees more as they do this anyway,she may try and hump your leg lol,i only walk annie early morning and late at night when in season,usually around 8/9 day they are ready for mating ,annie isnt a heavy bleeder so she only bleeds for around 6/7 days,but usualy its best to keep a close eye for 3 weeks ,which is how long the season lasts,annie doesnt get moody and takes it in her stride but i know some bitches can really struggle,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
03302010021.jpg
ok i can help with this as sarah has had many heats. yes they last like 3 weeks. you must watch for other dogs around this time especially around the end of the heat when she will really try to mate. i have to go out with her every time as we have a dog across the street who is not fixed. also i have 6 washable doggie diapers for this. i put them on her when she is in the house and take them off when she goes outside. when i can see she is miserable i give her baby aspirin to help with the pain. otherwise she will sleep alot. not much else to do other than that. Yes the diaper is hooked through the harness to help it stay on as they have no tail :D

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you guys. The first few days, she tried to rip the diaper off but has been keeping it on the last few. I have been taking it off when we go outside and at night when she is in her crate. I have to wipe the crate out and change her bedding every morning but that's ok. She seems a little down and not her usual self. She is barking and growling at everything which is not like her. The other two (male and female) keep sniffing at her and it aggravates her. She is not peeing more frequently really, but a lot more when she does. What would indicate a UTI? She is drinking a bit more so I have to change their water about 4 times a day instead of twice. She has also been a bit more clingy. My mom is coming to watch them in about two weeks. I guess I will have to trust that she will keep her little (5 months or so) intact male away from her....that is kind of scary!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.