Coconut Oil???

jojo31

Sep 12, 2011
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
I'm just starting to give my boy coconut oil both in his food and on his skin. He's had some hair loss. We've been to the vet and did blood tests, they didnt find any problems. The closest thing I've seen to what he has is Seasonal Flank Alopecia. Has anyone else seen results with coconut oil?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
sorry, no help here, but am anxious to see results from your thread.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I started giving the dogs Coconut oil in their food hoping it would help with the fall allergies and itching. It gave Bella horrible stools and Abby horrible gas. I didn't even give them a teaspoon. So I stopped and will just have to deal with frequent baths and topical use of the oil

OP
J

jojo31

Sep 12, 2011
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
Just after one day of putting the oil on his skin there is no more redness where his hair is missing! This is looking good!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I am intrigued by coconut oil and I am interested to hear how your pup does long term. I give lucy fish oil everyday so some say that you may want to alternate fish oil one week, coconut oil one week to prevent loose stools. Also, you may want to build up to the daily dose over several weeks to prevent digestive/bowl upset. If you google luaric acid-coconut oil you will find many benefits to adding coconut oil to you pets diet as well as your own.

I have a big jar of it and once we get our first freeze here (Lucy has allergies) I may get brave and give it a try. I will tell you I have given Lucy a tiny bit on a spoon and she gobbled it up. It smells great.

OP
J

jojo31

Sep 12, 2011
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
Oh I'm only giving him just under a teaspoon in his food. I did a lot of research on it and got the low down from the petstore that I go to as well. No loose stools yet....But he loves it. Its the first thing he eats when i put it in his bowl!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Oh I'm only giving him just under a teaspoon in his food. I did a lot of research on it and got the low down from the petstore that I go to as well. No loose stools yet....But he loves it. Its the first thing he eats when i put it in his bowl!
Sounds like amazing stuff from everything I have read and heard too. I am going to try to cook with it. I can see why the dogs like it. It does taste pretty good.

Can't wait to hear more about your experience with coconut oil. Keep us posted.

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
We just started this week giving Lola coconut oil as well. Probably about a teaspoon with her evening meal. She LOVES it. Won't eat the kibble until the blob of coconut oil is gone! No loose stools, but no good effects yet either. I'll give it a couple of weeks and report back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.